2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a fair few riders are coming through my neck of the woods tonight. God speed to all of you!

ApplePie.jpg

40 proof?!? Seriously?

What did they do with the rest of the alcohol?

Looks like a fair few riders are coming through my neck of the woods tonight. God speed to all of you!
I question why they are headed down 30 and cutting across 82? They aren't going to Austin that way. They could've just stayed on 40 and picked up Texas passing through the Pan-handle. I'm going to go with they are tired and thinking they have to touch that NE corner to score TX.

Now that I look at it, could it be that the Rally Master added bonii for world capitals, such as Paris? Maybe one of the many Moscows we have in this country?

On another note, if you needed MO and KS on this leg, would you cut north out of Alma, AR towards Joplin and then head back through Tulsa to get back on 40 to continue west? Actually makes those two states not that far out of the way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I question why they are headed down 30 and cutting across 82? They aren't going to Austin that way. They could've just stayed on 40 and picked up Texas passing through the Pan-handle. I'm going to go with they are tired and thinking they have to touch that NE corner to score TX.

Now that I look at it, could it be that the Rally Master added bonii for world capitals, such as Paris? Maybe one of the many Moscows we have in this country?

On another note, if you needed MO and KS on this leg, wouldn't you cut N out of Fort Smith towards Joplin and then head back through Tulsa to get back on 40 to continue west? Actually makes those two states not that far out of the way.

Thoughts?
If they are not going to Austin, then they will get Texas by crossing the Panhandle after Oklahoma City.

Yes, to grab MO and KS from Fort Smith, you would go due north to Joplin and score them both. Once you get off I44 in Joplin, then about a 6 mile round trip will net MO and KS and have you back on I44 going towards Tulsa and OKC.

Joplin to OKC to get back to the base route is a very fast road. Much of it is Turnpike with a 75mph speed limit.

Lot more spread out this morning.... no SPOTs showing down in the FL Panhandle this morning, that's good...

29_0410.jpg

I rode down to jacksonville to meet some people for lunch on monday and hang out at the checkpoint and check out bikes and say hi to some folks i knew in the rally. A friend of mine that went out to lunch was also the guy who gave his GSA driveshaft to a rider in the rally who was hearing/feeling some weird things coming from his. I was one of the two people that helped put her new chain on. I only know her from facebook and reading her blog about her rides. A guy whose name i cant recall riveted the chain and we had a third guy double check everything just to make sure. So with 6 eyes on things just to make sure we didnt make any mistakes, she should be in good shape till california!!
Jon Kohler

Athens, GA
everything aft of the output shaft is part of the final drive. it it's chain and sprockets or drive shaft, u-joint, pumpkin. another bmw fd problem during the ibr. sad really.

ApplePie.jpg

40 proof?!? Seriously?

What did they do with the rest of the alcohol?
this is Apple Pie, not White Lightening. goes down so smooth you hardly know your drinking until you try to dodge that driveway rushing right at your face. I hear the peach is also really good. Someone described it as a bushel of fresh GA peaches pressed into a single jar with the same surprising kick as the Apple Pie.

Looks like most riders have it pretty easy, weather-wise - except for those riders near central Oklahoma...

29weather.jpg

Code:
Sacramento and Carson City should be a very high scoring "double".
Agreed. OK City, Santa Fe, Denver, SLC, Carson City, Sacramento looks to be the path.

But for some reason I feel Phoenix is worth a bundle, too. And that screws up the north route.
That route makes sense but won't it require a late back-track to pick up Arizona, much less

Phoenix? You've probably spent a lot of time in these states as I have and there are definitely routes that

could put you in a very bad place. Tough, tough decisions ahead.

On another note, if you needed MO and KS on this leg, wouldn't you cut N out of Fort Smith towards Joplin and then head back through Tulsa to get back on 40 to continue west? Actually makes those two states not that far out of the way.

Thoughts?
If they are not going to Austin, then they will get Texas by crossing the Panhandle after Oklahoma City.
I agree, yet some left Little Rock on I-30 and then cut across 82, which is slow when you pass through Paris and a few other towns. :huh:

Lot more spread out this morning.... no SPOTs showing down in the FL Panhandle this morning,
I count four in the panhandle. ????

And perhaps one more - 308, that is not even on your screenshot yet. Some of these peeps need to pick it up.

Thoughts?
I agree, yet some left Little Rock on I-30 and then cut across 82, which is slow when you pass through Paris and a few other towns. :huh:

I'm with you guys on this one....just don't see any sense at all in taking that route. But, then, we are well-rested arm chair quarterbacks, aren't we?!? :)

My SPOT page shows a few folks still in FL/AL. Don't see how they are gonna be able to finish. They'd better wick it up!

And what's with the rider in Blytheville, AR?

Can you take 815, the rider who stopped in WV, off the public page? Screwing up the page zoom factor.

As for the weather, would you rather have rain or heat?

Lot more spread out this morning.... no SPOTs showing down in the FL Panhandle this morning,
I count four in the panhandle. ????
Yeah, I mis-spoke... none down in the lower part of the state... just 3-4 in the very northern part of the state, including #308.

Some of these SPOTs are driving me bat-shit crazy, because the technology escapes some of these guys. Once they hit "OK", they often fail to go back to tracking mode. So you're left wondering if something is wrong, or they have just dorked away their SPOT setting, or exactly what.... and I don't think they are doing it on purpose to obfuscate their intentions, since they are hardly front-runners. Cameron Brister and Fazer Phil Weston are two examples of guys who sat "motionless" for many, many hours yesterday; both are clearly underway today.

My SPOT page shows a few folks still in FL/AL. Don't see how they are gonna be able to finish. They'd better wick it up!
No, no.... SPOTs are lagging; they are far from real-time. These guys are further along than the Spotwalla pages suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.