2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin just posted on LDR that both Meese and Peek went for KW.

This is going to be a great finish!

Jeff - how aware are the top dogs of each others positions and strategies at this point in the rally?

Austin just posted on LDR that both Meese and Peek went for KW.

This is going to be a great finish!
So I must have missed something.

Tom Austin, in his Report, seemed to be saying that the smart rider would abandon the Four Corners, if they didn't get KW on Leg 2 (and only Frens did).

Yet for Peek and Meese, the Four Corners represents 4800 points for 1250 miles on the road .... That is massive!

Frens has about 800 points on Meese right now, but Meese can get some decent State Capitols, plus the 4800 .....

I appear to have reached the limit of my talent as a strategist :D

A base ride from Jax - Key West - San Ysidro - Ontario is 3400 miles.

That is a minimum and wouldn't hit some States ..... so .... They have 87 Hours.

87 hours at 55mph average (between SS and BBG pace) is 4750 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say the IBA got this one just about right :)

Yep.

My estimate at the start was that the top positions would be separated by very few points at the finish. This will be exciting to watch.
Wasn't it Ken Meese who missed 250 points by not claiming a bonus (seems I read that somewhere in this thread)? Wouldn't it be a shame if it came down to that 250 points tilting the final result?

doctorj

Wasn't it Ken Meese who missed 250 points by not claiming a bonus (seems I read that somewhere in this thread)? Wouldn't it be a shame if it came down to that 250 points tilting the final result?

doctorj

I think that was Chris Sakala. Ken Meese did lose 4 hours backtracking to get is flag in Maine; at unknown cost.

British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.

Thanks for the update Dale, much appreciated by us Iron Butt Keyboarders on the other side of the pond, thank you.

Warchild - Is there any way we can get public spot views on Frens and Meese? If not can we get some periodic location updates on them?
if they chose to keep their spot trackers private then doing so would violate that expectation of privacy. right?

Snapshot of riders at 11am PDT.....

8_1100.jpg

Hopefully Rider #319 just never lit up his SPOT device, since it never left the JAX checkpoint....

Those riders in central Mississippi/Alabama are enjoying this fine weather here....

8_weather.jpg

Done a little more armchair thinking.

Let's assume 5000 miles is doable on Leg 3. 87 hours at 57mph average.

Meese has to work out two routes .... The maximum that can be achieved from that mileage, leaving out Key West, plus 850 points, because that would be Jim Frens best route. The 850 is Jim's effective lead.

Then he takes 4800 points from that total, works out what he needs from his ride to just beat his new number, and plots a route. If that route comes in at 5000 miles or less, including KW, then he has a path that can't be beaten.

I guess that if Meese and Frens don't know the exact relative positions of each other, then they just ride what they think their maximums are, and hope :)

British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.
Mr. Young is my hero. If he makes Ontario as a 48 states finisher, he deserves to be an honorary Gold Medal finisher, if nothing else. Riding a whole IBR with Lucas electrics seems an unfathomable accomplishment to those of us who have owned motorcycles lighted and fired by the Prince of Darkness. And while I haven't ridden a Triumph or BSA triple of the day, if they vibrate even half as much as my '69 BSA 650 twin did, I don't know how he has enough feeling in his arms and hands to write down bonii.

Awesome ride so far, sir!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Alaska riders who get Key West on Leg 3, rather than the punishing schedule for Leg 2 might still be very handily placed. They can probably afford to miss out Carson City and Sacramento, because the Alaska bonus should outscore those two handily.

The sum of Carson City and Sacramento only needs to equal 4800 points to nullify Alaska. I see that as quite in range for what might be on the bonus listing for point values.
I'm also curious about my home town, Denver, and SLC. I wish I could see the leg 1 bonus listing. Judging by Tom's post, the "middle of the country" western capitals may be the keys.

Mr. Young is my hero. If he makes Ontario as a 48 states finisher, he deserves to be an honorary Gold Medal finisher, if nothing else. Riding a whole IBR with Lucas electrics seems an unfathomable accomplishment to those of us who have owned motorcycles lighted and fired by the Prince of Darkness. And while I haven't ridden a Triumph or BSA triple of the day, if they vibrate even half as much as my '69 BSA 650 twin did, I don't know how he has enough feeling in his arms and hands to write down bonii.

Rich i wouldn't drive to the store in anything with lucas electrics.......

R

John Young knows his way around a Triumph Trident, no question.... I understand the entire electrical system on that machine was completely re-done with wholly new wire harnesses, looming, connectors, etc.... it does not really have the same Lucas system you guys are referring to....

Which is, likely enough, a significant contributor to the fact that he is still rolling. :lol:

In fact - since he is in no real danger of knocking someone off the podium... ;) ... - I'll try to give more updates on John Young. He is currently with that large group you see below clustered around Jackson, Mississippi:

8_1145.jpg

They don't vibrate much at all, it's the inherent smoothness of an inline triple.

I didn't see anything on John's list of modifications about electronic ignition, so maybe running it on points ??? :blink:

edit: I did find in his list of spares a complete spare electronic ignition, and a points system as well. If you can keep the sparks going, what else do you need? :clapping:

Nancy Oswald reports: she is literally melting in the heat near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is so hot/humid, she had to get off the road and get some relief in an air-conditioned spot and grabbing a bite.

She's not dehydrated or in any heat-related danger; she's stopping for a bit so she *stays* that way! She's headed for the mega-point capitals, feeling pretty good, just a bit warm. :D

Done a little more armchair thinking.

Let's assume 5000 miles is doable on Leg 3. 87 hours at 57mph average.

Meese has to work out two routes .... The maximum that can be achieved from that mileage, leaving out Key West, plus 850 points, because that would be Jim Frens best route. The 850 is Jim's effective lead.

Then he takes 4800 points from that total, works out what he needs from his ride to just beat his new number, and plots a route. If that route comes in at 5000 miles or less, including KW, then he has a path that can't be beaten.

I guess that if Meese and Frens don't know the exact relative positions of each other, then they just ride what they think their maximums are, and hope :)
It looks like 81 hours for the Leg 3 since packets were handed out at 10pm EDT Monday and the finish is at 7am PDT Friday. The best average for Leg1 was Meese with 56mph. So using that average 4600 is the mileage to shoot for. The Key West route from Jacksonville consumed 1100 miles. Any Key West visitor on Leg3 will have about 3500 miles to work with if they have the stamina. Not enough to get Denver, Salt Lake City, Carson City or Sacramento, if you did not get Kentucky on Leg2. Plus having to get Missouri and Kansas will make it even harder.

Warchild said:
Update: holy crap, I hadn't realize how many states Meese still needs to pick up that are not really on a southern track.... like Kansas and Missouri, for example....

Assuming Meese got Tennessee on Leg 2. Which makes sense since he got Kentucky on Leg 2.

I had a '72 for a while. Awesome bike. And yes, very smooth. What took some getting used to was the ticking of the valves, even when they're adjusted spot on. Worse even than a Gen I Feej ticker :D

Hope he binned the points and put in an electronic ignition. First thing I did to mine

Status
Not open for further replies.