2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the thing about the Four Corners ...

Most of the field is not riding for a win, and only ten of the field can podium. So it's about "bragging rights" afterwards.

How neat to say that "I competed in the IBR. I rode all 48 States AND the Four Corners, and I got a Gold Medal Finish".

It's awesome!

As you blew off the Corners, which was the smart thing to do, all you have to worry about is Meese and Peek grabbing enough capitals to overhaul you. It would be very close :)
No, I'm committed to the 4 corners. I bagged Blaine and Madawaska in leg 1, and Key West in leg 2. In exchange for that I had to abandon all the New England capitols, and push MO/KS out to leg 3... but I have hopes it will turn out to be a net gain.

I just can't see how Key West in leg 3 makes any sense at all.

As you blew off the Corners, which was the smart thing to do, all you have to worry about is Meese and Peek grabbing enough capitals to overhaul you. It would be very close :)
No, I'm committed to the 4 corners. I bagged Blaine and Madawaska in leg 1, and Key West in leg 2. In exchange for that I had to abandon all the New England capitols, and push MO/KS out to leg 3... but I have hopes it will turn out to be a net gain.

I just can't see how Key West in leg 3 makes any sense at all.
Gotcha!

Only Jim did that, and he very well might win.

Meese and Peek did KW on Leg 3, but they did Alaska and they just might grab enough on Leg 3 to beat Jim.

What is clear is that Alaska on Leg 1 was not a knockout punch unless you also got KW on Leg 2.

Thursday night and Friday is going to be tense :)

I wonder if the riders that are in NM prolly headed to 4 corners know about the wildfires out there and possible road closures.
The only closures so far are in the White Rock/ Los Alamos area. 285 north and I-25 are both open.

921 is now a Wichita lineman.

Guess that rider wants to pay tribute to Glen Campbell! ;) :eek:

Day 9 (#12) just posted to the IBR site: Day #9
So by my calculations, Eric Jewell needs to outscore Dick Peek by 4,820 points and Meese by 6,437 plus whatever capitals those two can pick up in route to the finish on the last leg. I think we can assume that eric will bag whatever bonus's they will.

Peek and Meese are doing the last 2 corners and will likely need to skip the big capital bonus's.

I've got to beleive that Meese did the calculations and decided there were more points available by sticking to the 4-corners.

I sure would like to know what Denver, SLC, Carson City, and Sacramento are worth. 2K each?

If so, Erik might have a shot. Wouldn't that be something!

Austin's latest report for Day 9 is very telling - he notes that there are more points available for the Leg 3 Capitols then for completing the 4 corners. Given this info and the fact Meese and Peek are continuing their 4 corners quest, they may have concluded the following:

a) the non-Alaskan rider contenders (Jewel and Frens) will likely bag all Leg 3 Capitols and Frens can complete 4 corners for an additional 4,800 points.

B) the only way to gurantee their leads maintain over these two will be to secure 4 corners and grab enough Leg 3 Capitols. If they had abandoned 4 corners, they probably hand the win to Frens.

So based on only this info, and assuming no hiccups, I think the most likely finishing order will be:

1) Meese

2) Peek

3) Frens

4) Jewell

Otherwise, if Meese and Peek cannot pickup enough Leg 3 Capitols I will predict the following:

1) Frens

2) Meese

3) Jewell

4) Peek

Man this is fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or 929 down near Austin. (S)he's on 290 heading EAST??? WTF???
Now what is 929 doing? Heading NW on smaller roads.

Heading to NM by rte 20?
My best guess is 929 is headed to Santa Fe, via smaller highways but more directly. 4
I don't know who 929 is but I think this rider bears watching. I like their current position and direction. :whistle:

Living in the Austin area and having a son that attends Texas Tech in Lubbock. I have been on the trail 929 is on several times. The good news is if he gets hot there is a Dairy Queen in every little town he will ride through. Lets hope the Wind Turbines around Sweetwater don't hypnotize them.

If you zoom waaay in and switch to satellite view, #350 is at a Super 8 motel in Beralillo, NM. Sleeping through the heat of the day (91 right now) is smart.

I had Jewell for the win before the rally and if one could bet at this point:

I'd put a $20 box exacta on Jewell and Sinclair (meaning both have to finish #1 and #2, but in any order)

and $2 for Peek to show (that's 3rd place)...just because I like Dick so much.

I wonder how my Morning Line predictions I did just before the start will turn out?

Without seeing the actual point values it's hard to say for sure, but I'm looking at Austin as a sucker bonus. In the context of actually getting some rest, I don't see how to get Austin as well as the other high-point capitols Warchild mentioned.

So I'd just drop TX and the low-point capitols that don't happen to land on my route anyway, and divide my available rest time up among the hottest part of the last 3 days. Then adjust from there as the road gods insert their variables along the way.

Here that is in google maps: My fantasy Leg 3
Your Fantasy Leg 3 looks to be the best I've seen.

This does look good. We obviously don't know the point value of Santa Fe but unless it's huge, I would skip it and take the route into Denver you're showing. Four Corners is a sucker route. It'll get you the 4 states, but will hose you on the capitals.

My mind once conjured up a fallen tree in the roadway that did not exist. My response was a 65-70 mph brake lock up (no ABS then) in my car. Once the adrenaline kicked in I realized there was nothing in the roadway, and I was wide eyed awake for the remainder of the 2 hour drive. I could not fathom that type of head game scenario on a bike.

Do your own planning, maintain your own bike, deal with weather, sleep deprivation, hours in the saddle, etc..Even with proper planning you must have some significant weight lose over the course of the rally, You sick phuqs have my respect...

So how much does it cost to compete in the Rally do you think ?

Was thinking that in Europe, just the fuel alone would be $4-6000 (depending upon consumption and exchange rate)

Was thinking that in Europe, just the fuel alone would be $4-6000 (depending upon consumption and exchange rate)
I think it was John Ryan that said; "11 days, 11,000 miles and $11,000 bucks".

-MD

Probably a base cost of around $4000

$2000 entry

$1500 Gas

$500 Incidentals

Depending on accomodation, andother $1000 wouldn't go amiss, and don't get tickets :)

I wonder if the riders that are in NM prolly headed to 4 corners know about the wildfires out there and possible road closures.
I am very susceptable (sp) to allergies of dust, dirt, perfume, and especially smoke, etc

The most miserable I've been on a ride was near Pensacola for 20mi with fires all around and dimly seen smoke over the road.

I thought I would die trying not to cough...can't keep one's eyes open when coughing or sneezing :dribble:

Nothing helped...open visor, cracked open visor, closed visor, holding my breath :rolleyes:

Well, I'm out, people..... packing the Hayabusa for a straight 1000-mile shot to the Finish Line.

Departing in a hour or so... y'all have fun watching the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.