2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comment on the rule regarding a mandatory sit down for an accident in the rally.

Mike Kneebone announced this at the Sunnyside checkpoint in 2001. Gary Eagan had come to the checkpoint and spoke to the riders as the leg 3 packages were being given out. Some will recall that Gary crashed out of that rally in about 18 miles while reading his notes on the tank bag or such and missing a corner. Mike announced right then that any rider involved in a single vehicle crash would have to sit the next rally out.

So the rule has been wildlife stikes - Act of God - no penalty. Thus my deerstrike on the cusp of the last day in 2007 allowed me to run in 2009, albeit on a different bike.

The single vehicle accidents were really - I think - a reminder, especially to the highly competitive group at the top of these rallies that there were some additional consequences to one's actions. No one wants to crash, and they are a risk we all take. However, the image of riders pushing too hard and going down all over the country would not bode well for the future of the rally, and Mike, quite correctly I think, put in this rule to remind us that our actions do not necessarily affect just us, they have an impact on a much wider group.

Mike Hutsal

Winnipeg

Here's to a speedy recovery of the injured riders. A mountain lion? :blink:
Ditto. And I hope he killed the mountain lion. I'd hate to have an angry, wounded mountain lion nearby...
I'm sayin!

I'd certainly say a mountain lion would be near the top of my list of things to not have still alive and very

pissed off after I'd just hit it on my bike.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment on the rule regarding a mandatory sit down for an accident in the rally.

Mike Kneebone announced this at the Sunnyside checkpoint in 2001. Gary Eagan had come to the checkpoint and spoke to the riders as the leg 3 packages were being given out. Some will recall that Gary crashed out of that rally in about 18 miles while reading his notes on the tank bag or such and missing a corner. Mike announced right then that any rider involved in a single vehicle crash would have to sit the next rally out.

So the rule has been wildlife stikes - Act of God - no penalty. Thus my deerstrike on the cusp of the last day in 2007 allowed me to run in 2009, albeit on a different bike.

The single vehicle accidents were really - I think - a reminder, especially to the highly competitive group at the top of these rallies that there were some additional consequences to one's actions. No one wants to crash, and they are a risk we all take. However, the image of riders pushing too hard and going down all over the country would not bode well for the future of the rally, and Mike, quite correctly I think, put in this rule to remind us that our actions do not necessarily affect just us, they have an impact on a much wider group.

Mike Hutsal

Winnipeg

Here's to a speedy recovery of the injured riders. A mountain lion? :blink:
Ditto. And I hope he killed the mountain lion. I'd hate to have an angry, wounded mountain lion nearby...

Double ditto IRT the speedy recoveries!

As for the Mt Lion, I was thinkin' the same thing. On the first read, I misread that he was hit by the Lion. I would NOT want to be knocked down by a Lion who was still intact and nor would I want a PO'd Lion looking down at me.

toban,

thanks for your perspective- that's enlightening and makes perfect sense. Scattering dented farkles across the landscape is NOT a good way to stay under the radar.

Man I sure hope Meese and Jaime come out ok.

And I hope the leg 3 bonus structure gets posted quicker this time!

I mean really, with coming up on 100 pages in this thread, and nearly 400,000 views on the Spotwalla page, clearly the GNP is being affected. It's your civic duty to post those points and let a grateful nation assimilate the IBR watchers back into society.

My dear, fellow Iron Butt Keyboarders, just a quick word to say thank you very much to letting me in on your forum. I first got into LD riding in 2009 and quickly got hooked. 3 SS1000's a SS2000 and a finish in the Brit Butt Rally had confirmed to be that LD riding is in my blood.

During 2009 I found this forum and watched and learnt a good deal.

This year has been a wonderful experience and the highlight of my year.

Thanks to all you guys and girls who have posted on here and contributed to a brilliant experience. The commentary from all of you, and especially Dale and Jeff have made this THE place for us fellow Iron Butt Keyboarders to follow the Iron Butt Rally.

Now just got wait for the final results, and report and I'll have a massive empty feeling in me. But on 2013 you can be sure I'll be here again, assuming you'll have me.

Once again, thank you all, it's been emotional!

Anxiously awaiting details on how the KLR rider did. Loved that while there were not a lot of hopeless bikes on the ride this year, there were a number of "interesting" choices of bikes. Congrats to John on the vintage Triumph.

Ralph

08 KLR 650

Man, that REALLY sucks about Ken, and all the others. I was so looking forward to see how the Meese, Peek, Sinclair, and Frens strategy was going to play out.

And I agree.......You FJR guys & gals have a great forum. Thanks for letting us visit.

Steve

re: "wild" life tolls

IIRC in the IB5K last year there were a deer, a moose (mean sob's when pissed off), a cow, and a black bear. That's all I recall though there may have been multiples of the forest rats. So, a mountain lion doesn't surprise me a bit.

British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.
Go Slippery Sam!
Mr. Young is my hero. If he makes Ontario as a 48 states finisher, he deserves to be an honorary Gold Medal finisher, if nothing else.
I thought about Mr. Young...I looked over his bike in NY, and to the best of my knowledge the man has no tunes, no XM, and no comms while underway. I mean I know he has a TomTom but they suck. *Maybe* he has some Bluetooth combo to his phone like a Scala or something, but damn.

Hardcore Old School!

I'm definitely a fan and really hope he finishes.

Go John Go!
When you're riding a triple, it's all the music you need! John Young is definitely old school, long live old school!
The Triumph lives, and is blazing westward! Okay, maybe not "blazing", but he's moving along... :D
John Young - WAY TO GO YOU CRAZY, BARKING MAD BRITISH LOON!
OH - and this too - OLD Triumphs ROCK !!
+ 1 :)

(Slippery Sam -- now there's a blast from the past...) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.