2013 FJR, Wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Question??? I am leaving in the morning on a 3-4 day trip to NW Arkansas with my son and I have found a problem. Any help is appreciated. I recently put Dunlop Q-2s, new on front and rear for this trip. While test riding some new clothing today I had cruise set at 45 downhill and took both hands off the handlebars. They started to shake/wobble. I slowed to 35 and this happened again. Took the bike to the selling dealer that mounted and spun balanced these tires and same thing. They put it on the balance and notice the rotor, right side was out of round. Pulled one off a new bike and reinstalled. Same handlebar shake. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem. 2013 FJR with 6000 miles, never had this issue on my 2012 or this bike before tire change. I have checked the load rating and it is the same on the Q-2s as the bike requires, 58 front, 75 rear.

We plan on leaving in the morning and the dealer thinks I'll be fine but I am willing to change tires all night or check anything that you guys may suggest. Please help!

Ron M

Keep at least one hand on the handlebars and you'll be fine. My wing exhibits this behavior at slow speeds ( < ~40) when running ME 880s. Not sure of the technical reasons for this, but at speed the bike is fine and runs smooth as silk. Even at slow speeds with at least one hand on the bars there's no noticeable shake at all.

Unless you really like riding around with your hands off the bars, enjoy your trip. If the dealer has verified the tire's in balance and there are no other issues, I'd haul ass in the morning and not worry about at all.

you guys may suggest
Ron Ron Ron,

It's an FJR, keep the front wheel off the ground!
rolleyes.gif

All bikes wobble, you shouldn't feel it though. Before the trip max the air to the sidewall 42lbs? When you get back check the head bearing tension and loosen the front wheel and follow the instructions in the book on how to tighten things up.

You may not want to buy those tires any longer too. This is a heavy bike and those are sport bike/track tires?

Its almost always the tires. this is a well known phenomenon around here. Discussed many many times. You are experiencing the classic symptoms. Some folks go crazy trying to solve it, some just deal with it. I've had it to varying degrees on almost every tire I've ridden. Some are worse than others (Michelin best, Dunlops and Avons worst) and it changes as tires wear. I've had tires exhibit no wobble when new and slowly pick up the habit after 4000 miles. I've running Conti-Motions right now with very little wobble.

Condition also seems affected by cargo and passenger weight. But alway most noticeable when decelerating around 40-50 mph during 'look ma, no hands!' So I just remind my self to keep a hand on the bars at that time. Crusing down the road at steady speed there is no problem.

I wouldn't waste time chasing it, but you have to make your choice. Whatever you do, enjoy your trip with your son.

Thanks guys. I've had this slightly before so no big deal, except this incresses with speed.. Changing tires right now and making sure not broken belt. Then i'm saying f this and heading south. Thanks for the reassurance that it should not throw me off. I'm 20,000 miles back into riding and just want to live one more week!!!

I have had this happen on several bikes and it was the front tire. I don't care if some guys are happy to always keep one hand on the bars I have made the dealers put on a new front tire. I think it is caused by a tread being off center.

Same wobble with a pilot on there, so changing back to q-2 for tomorrows trip. Then different tires. I forgot to mention I installed some genmar risers I had left over from my 2012. Would re torquing the top head bolt have any bearing on this issue. I have since re torqued the triple clamp bolts and head bolt. No help.

My poor son is having to manually (spoons) re-mount tires and balance for me while we are waiting on a No-mar tire changer....

Gonna say it one more time.

Replaced OEM head bearings with Timken rollers.

No more shake, no matter what tires or pressure.

That will have to wait until we get home, I can't believe this happened last minute. Oh well, thanks for all the help, I feel fairly comfortable dealing with this for the next 3 days, enjoy.

Not all tires are equal. So to speak.
smile.png
Avons used to be bad about it when I had my 04 several years ago, but the Storms I'm running now don't do it on my 08. Go figure. Keep your hands on the grips till you wear out the current set of tires, then try those PR2's. Never had a wobble problem with them.

GP

Gonna say it one more time.Replaced OEM head bearings with Timken rollers.

No more shake, no matter what tires or pressure.
Dcarver,

Sounds good! Like to know more about this upgrade, if possible.

Part Numbers and/or pictures of these bearing races would be helpful. Thanks.
Changing the steering bearings to taper roller bearings will give a firmer feel. Either Timken or AllBalls racing bearing kits work and are quite cheap. Most wobble you describe is caused by a worn tyre and this can happen quite early on. It has happened to me on all makes of tyre and disappeared when I fitted new tyres.