2014 Western Ride Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_station_zebra

Reaction score
One leg of my preliminary plans takes me from Kalispell up to Creston BC. I've noticed what appears to be a very nice route from Libby up the west side of Lake Koocanusa (Nf-228 / Nf-92) up to Yaak River Road and west to 508. I can see from Google earth it's two lane paved and very remote. Anybody have any experience and recommendations on this route?

Here's the route I'm thinking of.

KalispellLoop_zps562e7d35.jpg

Pretty country, we made the same ride in June 2012, but kept to Hwy 2 visited Bonners Ferry, before heading to Canada. Nice little town, well worth the 3 mile detour. Sorry I can't provide any detail about that part of the route, hopefully a local will see this and chime in. Might ping RPrice, I met him at a rest area around the time he moved to Salmon, and he's somewhat a "local" and might know.

Had the chance to ride these roads during the 2011 Big Sky Rally (GBU). Albeit 3AM. These roads are paved but not maintained terribly well. I would stay on 37 between Libby and Rexford (East side of river) There is a bridge (I believe) south of Rexford to get you to NF-92 to Yaak. This section is very rural NF road. Once your past Yaak SR-508 is a descent road to Hwy 2.

Hwy 2 between Libby and Troy is one of my favorite scenic roads. though it is short it makes up in beauty

Have a great ride..