2016 A adding LEDs to Turn Angle light location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Since the 2016 A doesn't have the turn angle lights how hard would it be to put some LEDs in that location? Set them up so they are on during the day (a little extra during the day never hurts) and possibly tie them in to go brighter with the highbeam switch. Yes it would be a lot of work installing the LEDs, I assume the fairing would be pretty much completely removed to do it, yet you would have a very clean look when it's all done. I guess what my question really is, what would you need under the plastic electronic wise to do that? Would it be possible to do that to the turn angle LEDs that are in the ES if you could get your hands on just those assemblies?

Uhhhh...... since not ONE person has seen this assembly first hand, me thinks your question is just a bit premature.

I was thinking of a similar low-tech solution of adding a pair of fork mounted LED lights that I would wire to a momentary switch installed in the flash-to-pass location in the left grip housing. I usually flip the high beam anyway to improve cornering illumination, but as we all know, there's never enough light toward the inside of the turn.

May be a good winter project...

I've thought about those cornering lights quite a bit since seeing them described on the '16. Believe it's a great idea to have that extra light in the turns, but for me, completely unnecessary. I have Clearwater Krista LEDs that project a wide cone of light, with most of it focused in the center, but really lighting up pretty much everything anywhere to my front (meaning about 180o of illumination). I think it was on their website that the light is concentrated 85% in the center of the cone and the rest very wide-spread. Riding through the woods in the dark, for example, you get all the bushes and shrubs on the roadside very well lit right up till you're passing them, and of course, that also lights well into every curve.

With all that light spilling out everywhere, you might expect they'd be annoying to other drivers, but I am almost never "flashed" for offending somebody's night vision. This might be an expensive fix for this issue, but the wide light pattern is just one of the many benefits of these lights.

But more on the subject, couldn't you connect those small LED "turn illuminators" to your turn signal circuit? If you didn't mind "signalling" for every curve in the road when you ride in the dark. So why not just mount these lights facing slightly outward and leave them on all the time? Simplest solution, you'd have the extra conspicuity, and you'd never have to think about them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps quite a bit cheaper alternative with much greater light output at night ?

Visibility to other drivers is quite high as well....

PJF_6836_zpsqbhefuy4.jpg

I've thought about those cornering lights quite a bit since seeing them described on the '16. Believe it's a great idea to have that extra light in the turns, but for me, completely unnecessary. I have Clearwater Krista LEDs that project a wide cone of light, with most of it focused in the center, but really lighting up pretty much everything anywhere to my front (meaning about 180o of illumination). I think it was on their website that the light is concentrated 85% in the center of the cone and the rest very wide-spread. Riding through the woods in the dark, for example, you get all the bushes and shrubs on the roadside very well lit right up till you're passing them, and of course, that also lights well into every curve.
With all that light spilling out everywhere, you might expect they'd be annoying to other drivers, but I am almost never "flashed" for offending somebody's night vision. This might be an expensive fix for this issue, but the wide light pattern is just one of the many benefits of these lights.
Yeah but the Kristas are now an 8 degree pencil beam that Clearwater thinks is an improvement?

Uhhhh...... since not ONE person has seen this assembly first hand, me thinks your question is just a bit premature.
Yeah I'm jumping the gun a bit, just thinking ahead a bit with LEDs in mind. I haven't worked with LEDs so I don't know how to get them to work. Since you aren't dealing with a bulb, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as simple as wiring in a socket and put the bulb in.