2016 Clutch to fully replace a 2013 clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRZero

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just picked up one of these amazing machines and I'm super impressed! 

I got a used 2013 FJR that I need to replace the clutch (slipping bad in 2nd gear). I wanted to switch it out to the 2016 slipper clutch, and yes, I DID watch the two wheel obsession video, I got the parts list and I ordered all the parts circled in red.

Here's my question - in the steps, it says to use 1 OLD clutch plate between other new ones. In the schematics, it shows #17 is not circled, I assume that's the old clutch plate it's referencing. 

If I'm only ordering the circled items, where does that old one come from? Do I need to order that as well, from the 2016 clutch assembly, or do I need to order one from the 2013 assembly (and if so, which one?)? Or, do they just throw one of the old plates out of my current (messed up) clutch in there?

https://twowheelobsession.com/2016/04/28/upgrade-2015-prior-fjr1300-2016-slipper/
2-2.jpg

I installed the 16+ slipper clutch into my 06. Not much of a difference from my original clutch. Pull is a little bit less, but not significant. A few tid-bits that I learned. Two Wheeled Obsession has great videos; no doubt. 👍 First thing is, the 06 doesn't have the wire retainer holding the first plate. Luckily, I purchased one. Second, I used an electric impact to remove the nut. Bike didn't move forward at all. (Had it in 5th gear and held the brake down with my free hand) Then loaded all the friction and clutch plates that would fit before the Pressure Plate goes on, held the brake with my left foot, and torqued the nut. I didn't drain the oil, just left the bike on the side stand. Beautiful bike to work on, everything is machined to perfection. I measured the standard clutch plates at 2.0 mm. (I'm going to purchase a few 2.6 mm for fine tuning) FYI my original clutch worked perfect, the plates where about -.002 thinner. Was it worth it? :unsure: I spent north of $400 getting here. I went for a 65 mile test spin 1/1/24. I made it home... my guess is, time will tell. Easy job; but kind of unfulfilling. 🤷‍♂️ 🥳
I purchased a standard 16 clutch disk for #17. (Yamaha 2H7-16325-00-00) But I'm going to replace that with a thicker 2.6 mm (Yamaha 2H7-16324-00-00) to fine tune my engagement zone. Best of luck.

Pete-o

Unfortunately, your slipping second gear issue is not a clutch issue. It is a transmission issue. And not an easy fix. So, I would not bother with the expense and hassle of replacing the clutch.

Edit: I need to clarify. Is your transmission slipping out of second gear? Or is it engine racing away as it stays in second gear?

Unfortunately, your slipping second gear issue is not a clutch issue. It is a transmission issue. And not an easy fix. So, I would not bother with the expense and hassle of replacing the clutch.

Edit: I need to clarify. Is your transmission slipping out of second gear? Or is it engine racing away as it stays in second gear?
I interpreted the original post (from 2021) as slipping in gear (racing) and not slipping out of gear. Although, a slipping clutch is more likely to be noticed while accelerating in 4th or 5th than in 2nd...

The second post (@Pete-o ) was just replacing the original with the slipper - done by a number of people. I considered it, but didn't think the reported improvements were worth the time and expense. Pete-o's conclusion "Easy job; but kind of unfulfilling. 🤷‍♂️ 🥳" sort of sums it up. Might be different if I spend a lot of time idling in traffic where a lighter clutch pull could make a difference.

The original poster didn't report back on whether he had succeeded with a slipper clutch replacement but a later post he made mentioned he exchanged his 2013 for a 2015 so I guess he solved his problem one way or another.

I recently bought a 2015 with the slipper clutch installed by the PO with receipts to verify the dealer install. Yes, downshifting from high rpm is noticeable in that tire skid is held to a minimum but lever pull seems about the same. I agree with others, if only 2nd gear is an issue probably trans related. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I interpreted the original post (from 2021) as slipping in gear (racing) and not slipping out of gear. Although, a slipping clutch is more likely to be noticed while accelerating in 4th or 5th than in 2nd...

The second post (@Pete-o ) was just replacing the original with the slipper - done by a number of people. I considered it, but didn't think the reported improvements were worth the time and expense. Pete-o's conclusion "Easy job; but kind of unfulfilling. 🤷‍♂️ 🥳" sort of sums it up. Might be different if I spend a lot of time idling in traffic where a lighter clutch pull could make a difference.

The original poster didn't report back on whether he had succeeded with a slipper clutch replacement but a later post he made mentioned he exchanged his 2013 for a 2015 so I guess he solved his problem one way or another.

Ahhhh...... I didn't catch that the original post was two years old and a bit out of date. And yes, if a clutch issue, I would expect more slipping in upper gears as has been the case of the two bad and slipping FJR clutches I've encountered over the years.

As for the slipper clutch..... I have owned three 6-spped FJRs with it - still own two. And of course I still own several FJRs with the normal clutch. I think the lighter clutch pull is a noticeable improvement. The slipper function is nifty too. I just have one concern. The shifting quality of all three of the 6-spped FJRs I have owned is not as good as the 5-speeds. Now, the question is, is that due to the slipper clutch? Or the differently cut gears of the 6-speed tranny? That would be my only hesitation in installing it in a pre - '16 FJR.