2016 Fall Foliage Ride October 15-17

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Hey all. Our annual foliage ride is usually kind of impromptu, but we have been talking about doing something different this year. Taking the train ride out of Cass to Bald Knob. I have inquired with the Old Clark as to their availability for the weekend of October 14-18 and they are wide open. Tickets are NOT available for an 1145 departure from Cass on Saturday, so we have booked for Sunday and changed the stay at OCI to Sat-Mon. It is $59. $57 for seniors (65+). If there is interest in the train ride we should probably reserve tickets soon.

Here is the link for the Railroad.

Old Clark Inn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. Our annual foliage ride is usually kind of impromptu, but we have been talking about doing something different this year. Taking the train ride out of Cass to Bald Knob. I have inquired with the Old Clark as to their availability for the weekend of October 8-9. Tickets are available for an 1145 departure from Cass on Saturday. It is $59. $57 for seniors (65+). If there is interest in the train ride we should probably reserve tickets soon.

Old Clark Inn
I'm in on this one! & Bob, I was looking @ their website not long ago. There is a $5 upcharge (read that as free money for them) on peak fall saturdays. So, tickets are $64 each for this particular time of year... $62 for seniors. I don't think that this is reserved seating. I'm going to check on that.

Hey all. Our annual foliage ride is usually kind of impromptu, but we have been talking about doing something different this year. Taking the train ride out of Cass to Bald Knob. I have inquired with the Old Clark as to their availability for the weekend of October 8-9. Tickets are available for an 1145 departure from Cass on Saturday. It is $59. $57 for seniors (65+). If there is interest in the train ride we should probably reserve tickets soon.

Old Clark Inn
I'm in on this one! & Bob, I was looking @ their website not long ago. There is a $5 upcharge (read that as free money for them) on peak fall saturdays. So, tickets are $64 each for this particular time of year... $62 for seniors. I don't think that this is reserved seating. I'm going to check on that.
It isn't reserved seating, but there is a limit to the number of passengers. I had the ticket prices at the values you have before seeing it differently on another screen. Either way Spanky and I are in. Still haven't heard from the OCI..

Is there lunch on this trip?
From the website:

At an elevation of 4,842 feet, Bald Knob is the third highest point in West Virginia. Located 11 miles up the mountain from Cass, the Bald Knob overlook offers spectacular views (on a clear day) into two states and into the valley below, home to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. The train will also makes a stop at Whittaker Station for a 30 minute layover. A “King of the Road” hobo lunch will be provided to enjoy with your ride as well.

Well here I thought you would show up for the "HOOTERVILLE 400" Oct 6 thru Oct 9....well you won't know what your missing. A Train ride does sound good...

so have fun, but try to make it to the HOOTERVILLE 400 next year.. OK. See you in Wytheville.

If Old Clark isn't looking good, perhaps we should consider staying on-site at one of the company houses. It looks to be be pretty cheap... & I'm definitely into cheap. The issue... if there are joiners late, they're SOL... at least as far as staying @ Cass.

I'm with Petey....... I always thought riding on rails meant you had a good suspension on two wheels.......... but hey, trains are fun too.

If Old Clark isn't looking good, perhaps we should consider staying on-site at one of the company houses. It looks to be be pretty cheap... & I'm definitely into cheap. The issue... if there are joiners late, they're SOL... at least as far as staying @ Cass.
I will look into Cass for accommodations. OCI is questionable for 8-9, so I inquired about the following weekend.

Well here I thought you would show up for the "HOOTERVILLE 400" Oct 6 thru Oct 9....well you won't know what your missing. A Train ride does sound good...so have fun, but try to make it to the HOOTERVILLE 400 next year.. OK. See you in Wytheville.
While I would love to be there, I can't do it all. Now, after October of next year my dance card will much more available to fill. We do this fall Foliage ride every year with locals and it is one of our favorites. Look forward to seeing you at EOM!

Just got an update from the OCI. The weekend of 7-9 they have another MC group, but they are not fully committed, so there is availability for now. The following weekend, 14-16 they are wide open. Still haven't checked on the accommodations in Cass.

I'd vote for the following weekend but I'm in no matter what... altho, I still think that we should explore company housing. It's fairly inexpensive.

I'd vote for the following weekend but I'm in no matter what... altho, I still think that we should explore company housing. It's fairly inexpensive.
The only problem I have with the company housing is the bedroom configurations. They offer plenty of beds, but not in separate bedrooms. I also don't show any availability for October dates that are proposed. For a late September weekend one of the 5 or 6 bedroom cottages goes for $348/night, so the generic seasonal rates from the top of the link I posted is not accurate apparently. If it is Spanky and I we want our own bedroom. With all that said, if there isn't a huge turnout for this the company housing really isn't any cheaper.

HUH? $348? I'm seeing $242 for 12 people... not that there will be 12 people. I'm looking @ worst case scenario. we must be looking @ something completely different. Why do you want so much privacy, anyway? Are you planning to do something sexual... huh.. huh... huh! lol! just kidding... I really don't want to know.

HUH? $348? I'm seeing $242 for 12 people... not that there will be 12 people. I'm looking @ worst case scenario. we must be looking @ something completely different. Why do you want so much privacy, anyway? Are you planning to do something sexual... huh.. huh... huh! lol! just kidding... I really don't want to know.
Go to the actual reservations and it comes up with $348 for the last week of September. Anyway, it's a moot point as there is nothing available for either of the weekends I proposed.