2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone able to guess how much the 6th gear drops your rpm?
Um...No, how much?
rolleyes.gif

Well, a source inside Yamaha told me that they screwed up and that 6th gear actually raises the rpm!!! A reverse overdrive so-to-speak. Word is the feces hit the rotating oscillator and more than a few folks lost their jobs over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first impression is that the 6th gear is gravy, as in nice to have.

What you should be asking is how improved is the drive train with the reduced clutch pressure, the helical cut gears and the slipper clutch.

And the answer compared to a 2005 is it's a big improvement.

Shifting is very smooth, no first gear clunk, the whine from the transmission is much reduced when crusing and clutch management during rapid down shifting is now not an issue.

I havn't had the chance to test the traction control yet (that I know of)
rolleyes.gif

Chris

Once I get past the 600 mile mark and finally give it a WOT I can fully opine on the new transmission but so far me likey a lot. Smooth shifting, quick hard downshifts are VERY smooth, maybe I'm ham handed but I don't feel a huge difference in clutch pull... Some maybe. I'm still fiddling with clutch throw length though and that changes the feel. I think I'm settling on 4.

...the overdrive is just that. I'm still not hunting for a sixth gear but when I want it it's right there.

Footshields for $362.95? Where do these prices come from? I would have guessed more like $351.63.

Seriously, though, they can't cost Yamaha more than about $20. Price them at $100, and they'd make money, since almost every owner would get a set. At nearly $400, I'll pass.

Footshields for $362.95? Where do these prices come from? I would have guessed more like $351.63. Seriously, though, they can't cost Yamaha more than about $20. Price them at $100, and they'd make money, since almost every owner would get a set. At nearly $400, I'll pass.
Ummm...supply and demand. They've been priced this way since at least 2004. So, if you think you can do a better job--why don't you design a set, mass produce them at the $20 or less you say, and make serious bucks by selling them cheaper? Even at $100 you'd be making 5 times or more of your costs.

Whether or not I can design a set myself doesn't disprove my point. If parts like this were more realistic in costs, more of us would buy them, and they wouldn't need to make up the R&D and other costs on the small handful they sell.

Whether or not I can design a set myself doesn't disprove my point. If parts like this were more realistic in costs, more of us would buy them, and they wouldn't need to make up the R&D and other costs on the small handful they sell.
Mebbe they don't give a rip what you think.

I'm just happy they are still making the FJR and haven't fecked it up yet, even after fifteen years of production. That's amazing for this narrow segment of the mcy market.

Got a call from the dealer last night, and got it home today, whoot! Coming off of a Gen I, there sure is a lot of instrumentation and buttons to get used to. I'm not one for instruction books, but just might have to crack the manual open on this one. Transmission does seem smoother and quieter when cruising, I thought my Gen I was smooth, but I think this one's got it beat. Got a few miles down the interstate before realizing / remembering that there is in fact a 6th gear on these things. There is a drop in rpms when using it, but I don't see me using it much unless there's dedicated slabbing involved. To me, there wasn't much noticeable difference between this one's 5th gear and my Gen I's 5th gear, even if the numbers say differently. Let the farkling commence!

IMG_1178_zpskpnrbkfs.png

Got a call from the dealer last night, and got it home today, whoot! Coming off of a Gen I, there sure is a lot of instrumentation and buttons to get used to. I'm not one for instruction books, but just might have to crack the manual open on this one. Transmission does seem smoother and quieter when cruising, I thought my Gen I was smooth, but I think this one's got it beat. Got a few miles down the interstate before realizing / remembering that there is in fact a 6th gear on these things. There is a drop in rpms when using it, but I don't see me using it much unless there's dedicated slabbing involved. To me, there wasn't much noticeable difference between this one's 5th gear and my Gen I's 5th gear, even if the numbers say differently. Let the farkling commence!
Congratulations! Don't tell those ES riders, but the A model is faster.