2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a standing order with my dealer for an ES when they became available. The dealer called me today saying ordering was open as of today. The Yamaha rep told me dealer delivery should be the 2nd week in March. We'll see....

Never mind. I see I should read more of the previous posts before posting.

The D&H price looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Toro posted: Never mind. I see I should read more of the previous posts before posting.
The D&H price looks pretty good.
If you'd like, we can ask them to reserve one for you -- since we'll see them Saturday.
rolleyes.gif

My local dealer's pricing is pretty high. I was surprised how little he would consider cutting for a sure sale.

They've been good on service this past year. And they have some really great deals on leftovers, especially on Kawasakis.

But they reluctantly cut $600 of the MSRP for the '16ES.

It makes deals like the one offered by D&H quite attractive .... but then how do you walk back into the dealership when you want service?

I am inclined to just suck it up and pay the local guy what he asks. And then there is the trade in issue.

These guys seem to have a pretty good pencil when it comes to trades, so it isn't so much the price of the bike as the bottom line OTD deal after the trade is figured in.

I am thinking that I will be with my local dealer rather than with D&H, even though D&H is only about 3 hours or so away from here.

As for deposits, it is only fair to pay the deposit when you order something that is new like this.

Jerald has to Cover His Behind, although he'll probably be able to move as many as he can get in. A lot of these guys call around and ask other dealers to get their allocation, or to trade for it. As Jerald tells it, he is not popular among many dealers because of his reputation for cutting prices.

When I worked in the industry 45 years ago, I remember the owner continuously complaining about pirates and discounters. He literally hated anyone who would screw with his MSRP. In fact, on most parts, he had them on the books as double dealer net plus some additional percentage depending on what double dealer net was. They called this a 50% mark up, because 50% of the price was the markup. To me, it looked more like 100% mark up because he was doubling his money.

Meanwhile, I took my '09 AE in the other day to deal with the clutch stutter on the Y.E.S. warranty, and they called me today and said they'd sorted it out and that it was working as intended. I'll pick it up in the morning ... it is worth a lot to me to have decent local service.

Meanwhile, I took my '09 AE in the other day to deal with the clutch stutter on the Y.E.S. warranty, and they called me today and said they'd sorted it out and that it was working as intended. I'll pick it up in the morning ... it is worth a lot to me to have decent local service.
I'd sure like to know what they figured out/did to fix that issue, if in fact they have fixed it. On my 06AE it shows up only once when the bike is cold. After that it's fine.

I'd sure like to know what they figured out/did to fix that issue, if in fact they have fixed it. On my 06AE it shows up only once when the bike is cold. After that it's fine.
It's either a dry clutch or air in the hydraulics. 90% certainty.

It makes deals like the one offered by D&H quite attractive .... but then how do you walk back into the dealership when you want service?
You walk in and say, "My bike needs service." I TRIED to buy my bike here in Albuquerque. The sales guy screwed me around, when I knew better. I walked out and told him I would check every Yamaha dealer I passed and would buy from the first one to make me a good deal. Then I did exactly that and bought it in Colorado.

I knew nothing about FJRs, so I wanted a service plan. The best deal was from the Albuquerque dealer I walked out of. I rode in there on my brand new bike, and ran smack into that salesman. He got smug and asked me, "So, you here to buy that bike?" I responded, "Nope! I already bought one. I told you I would, but thanks." The look on his face when he saw my new bike 3 feet from the door was priceless.

Then I walked to the service guy and bought my contract, which I absolutely got my money out of. Lol...Service and sales are very separate things. Sales may blow it, but the service guys will be happy to see you.

Buy a 16 wherever you want, and have it serviced where you want. You don't owe them anything!

Buy a 16 wherever you want, and have it serviced where you want. You don't owe them anything!
Bingo. Bought my '07, brand new, on eBay from Heinen's in MN and had it shipped. Bought my Tacoma in Kansas City, KS, and drove it home. Saved $2K on the FJR, $3K on the Tacoma, over what the local dealers wanted. The minute those dealers won't service my wheels is the minute I ring up the brand's Customer Service contact. Hasn't happened yet, and won't.

Now, as for the '16. If I didn't have an '07 Black Cherry, personalized for me, and worth basically nothing on the resale market, I would be very interested. But I do, so I'm not. Using that money for a sweet Honda F6B to sit next to the Feejer has more potential of happening. 1/100 chance, but that's more than 0/100. YMMV.

You walk in and say, "My bike needs service." I TRIED to buy my bike here in Albuquerque. The sales guy screwed me around, when I knew better. I walked out and told him I would check every Yamaha dealer I passed and would buy from the first one to make me a good deal. Then I did exactly that and bought it in Colorado.......

Truth! Took me 4 dealers to find one to get me what I wanted. I had other dealers service it tho, no questions asked.

The best part was riding my new FJR to the previous dealers "to look around" and basically rub the salesman's nose in it.

I have already talked to D&H, and pretty much committed to going there to get my retirement present to myself. But, everyone sez: check the local shop. So, I went down to the local dealership, and checked.

Well, he sez: it looks like that new FJR is going to be a hot item. So, list price you know is, you know (he said 'you know' about 7 times in one sentence) just a, you know, suggestion. It may be, you know more. I also mentioned I wanted a few other things. A trunk - installed, wired. A new GPS, installed, wired. New helmet, new jacket. Stars in their eyes! Yes! We will give you 10% off of full retail price for all your accessories! And install at a discounted service rate!

I worked at a bike shop a million years ago, and back then, the money was made in the parts department and in the service department. I'll go to Alabama, have them put on a trunk. I'll buy the GPS from Italy for 30% off, and get the jacket and helmet at a local accessories store. I'll break the bike in by riding it to Maine and back to Texas. And take it to the local shop for service and parts.

When and Where are you getting your new machine Joe --- Very excited for you...

Still thrilled with my '15, can't wait for the weather to warm a bit....

When and Where are you getting your new machine Joe --- Very excited for you...
Still thrilled with my '15, can't wait for the weather to warm a bit....
Ordered last Tuesday from Breyley Yamaha in North Royalton, Ohio...hope to have it some time in March-early April.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend Rich (curly joe) just ordered one today [the bastard, no I'm not jealous].

The dealer said the bikes will start shipping to the regional warehouses in 8 to 10 days and then from there to the dealership [this is for the western US]. Their best guest was 18 to 20 days from today.

Freaking Jealous ...