2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend Rich (curly joe) just ordered one today [the bastard, no I'm not jealous].
The dealer said the bikes will start shipping to the regional warehouses in 8 to 10 days and then from there to the dealership [this is for the western US]. Their best guest was 18 to 20 days from today.

Freaking Jealous ...

C'mon Pops! What's stopping you? You only live once!

<snip> Their best guest was 18 to 20 days from today.
Sweet! Can't wait to check it out.
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

But they will likely inherit that bike, which will have been part of you..... which is by far better then a stack of cash in my book !!!!

i was really excited to trade in my 2008 with 41k miles on it for the 2016.

But then we had a really nice weekend to ride and I realized I don't want to take off all of the farkles, or but them back one and I really didn't need the 6th gear like i thought I did.

That's pretty much how I felt about my 06...until I saw that the 2016 was the same color. Oh, and I have two adult kids, who's inheritance is buying me the new bike.
Yeah, but in your kids minds, they'll be inheriting a really nice bike. Win-win
They'll get nothing, and like it.

I read that review earlier today expecting to learn something new and was disappointed. I did notice the comments about new 6 speed gearing having shorter ratios in lower gears and 6th gear being taller. This is inconsistent with evidence reported earlier here in our excellent technical house. The data I have for the 2016 shows very slightly taller gear ratios in gears 1,2, with 3 being essentially unchanged, 4th and 5th cogs being slightly shorter.

I'm guessing its attributable to sloppy journalistic research. Nothing new...

I would have liked to see more riding impressions, etc.

I'm sure in a few weeks we'll have all kinds of reports to chew on including Joe's.
smile.png

"Yamaha has sold over 100,000 FJRs world-wide, and now with bags of extras on the 2016 model for the exact same price as the outgoing model the FJR cements its place in the cream of the sports-touring crop."

Same price as the outgoing model?? Guess again.....

As for riding impression, it's going to ride pretty much like any previous FJR. Unless the guy riding the test has been on an earlier one for any length of time or has a, earlier bike to swap with, his "impression" of the difference between the 5- and 6-speed is going to be a guess. Maybe he'll like the slipper and call it the greatest thing for super-tourers since gasoline, who knows?

[Note: Google Chrome offers auto translate for the French review that Spud posted above ... and you should remember that a machine built the following sentences.]

TEST | Yamaha FJR 1300 AE 2016: a new look at the GT Status: Available
Release date France: February 2016
Manufacturer: Yamaha
Distributor: Yamaha Motor France, Price (from): € 18,999
Capacity: 1300 cm 3
Category: Road
Permits: A (motorcycle license)

Unveiled in December 2015 at the motorcycle show in Paris, the FJR 1300 offers a facelift: 5th generation for Yamaha sports GT. A motorcycle born in 2001 and still popular with large rollers but also by national military and Gendarmerie. More than 100 000 units have been sold worldwide, including some 20,000 in France! Beyond its evolutions, the FJR 2016 is the first to get us with his unrestrained Euro4 approval. So we will take full advantage of legally and its 146 horses ... Especially Yamaha announced at the same time it has not lost its sporty character nor its flexibility.

FULL LED

For this first test, we chose the AE version with the controlled suspensions, but not the power box without clutch. It is the first to arrive on the French market, the basic model is not available in France and AS model (with power box and controlled suspensions) will arrive in March. Here testing the FJR 1300 AS 2013 . But already see what changes from the outside.

We note first of a new look. The LEDs are appearing in front, but also on the back, plus turn signals and directional lights. LED full truth then! Stern has also expanded caregiver elegance of the bike. On board instrumentation does not change shape with three spaces, but reading has improved and the rearranged information in the central LCD screen with a bar-graph for the fuel gauge, engine manual (or Touring Sport) and the watch. In the right window displays the odometer and trips, the gear ratio and a pictogram indicating that it will adjust: position of the windscreen, suspensions, load or heated grips. The tachometer is still left with a new design.

CONTROLS ON FINGER AND EYEBefore starting, quick overview of the handlebar controls. There is a lot of work, but it is nothing next to the AS version with speeds trigger. We play, in fact, often the left commodo including the Menu button, manipulated the index and associated button (up arrow, down arrow). Everything is centralized in little space and very rational indeed, but you have a small addiction.

Whether to adjust the height of the windshield, choose a depreciation method, luggage and passenger load or put the cruise-control. Everything is on the left hand. However, careful not to play too adjustments wheelchair because it loses the road to look and vigilance.

On the right hand, we have the motor mode: Touring or Sport, the warning and stop switch-starter. The full LED lighting is a bluffing efficiency. Already the low beam headlights are coupled with the near lighting that of a current car, but the directional lights add further efficiency, so that the night journey, even on small non-lined roads are completely relaxed.

GT SPORT BECOMES HYPER ROAD?The box is also totally new and lighter than 400 g despite the addition of a 6th report, and not more cumbersome due to the use of helical pinion size (rather than straight). The sixth lowers the engine speed cruising on motorways and therefore consumption. It was a customer demand. All reports are adjusted accordingly, but especially the 5th which is shortened and 6, slightly overdrive. It evolves to 130 km / h at 3800 r / min.

After starting the engine, we pass the first. Clack, the FJR always made ​​a slight jolt. It is ready to set sail and gas. On the model driven without box, Yamaha has added a new slipper clutch similar to the R1 and acts to downshift.The clutch involves an inclined cam located between the clutch housing and the pressure plate. This allows the use of lower-class clutch springs that require less force at the clutch lever. Second, the slipper clutch disengages partially during the downshift, when the torque transmitted to the rear wheel to the motor is greater than the motor torque. Then earns about 50% during clutch slip of the emergency brake to avoid locking the wheel or even disrupt the behavior of the bike in the braking phase.

If the engine of the FJR 1300 is a flexible feast and if he accepts to evolve 6th to just over 50 km / h, also appreciates his nervousness and responsiveness. There is of course the Ride by Wire and injection mapping set with onions, which contribute greatly to the approval of the FJR. But this time, the free power provides a useful speed range extended . Before, the push was waning past the 6000 rev / min. With 40 more horsepower and 3,000 rpm usable until the red zone, the FJR 1300 offers new horizons and not give up. It remains to choose one of two engine modes. The box is a gentle treat and shaft drive of a rare smoothness that makes you forget until his presence. It's perfect: a certain brand (German) should be inspired ...

FASHION SPORTThe S mode provides a more significant motor behavior for thrill seekers and muscular driving. The throttle response is as lively as the ramp-up, and we took the opportunity to set the Hard mode suspensions in order to paste the engine with the chassis. If the basic operation is simple, we will avoid the sub-settings asking too much attention. The basic setting can be adjusted in 3 positions more or less. In this state, the FJR reveals its potential, even on wet roads of our test, we did not feel the traction control is put into action.

We knew the great traveler, comfortable and stable while being active, that it shows a face, sportier. The 2013 vintage had already has an inverted fork with 4-piston calipers but now the engine also meets a use more "racing", but not tourjours exploitable as to remain above the 6000 rev / min.

Having chosen to ride two on this test, we have very little used this control mode, putting too much contribution the passenger. This brings more when Mr. want go for a walk without Madame. Personally, I never liked the Hayabusa and other ZZR1400, road flares, super efficient, but without great feelings on this side of impossible speeds on our roads. Yamaha has kept some restraint while providing the same character in less muscular driving.

Especially in sports driving, its weight will rise to the surface, showing the flexibility of its depreciation but also the sensitivity of the ABS. Coupled, braking was quick to warn when braking hard, the back tripping often ..

BACK TO COMFORT

so back in comfort and fashion duo. Fashion T Touring as for the engine. This time, the FJR rolls with ease, showing a healthier behavior and a rare pleasure in the category. Suspensions Standard position, bumps are erased. In Soft mode, they are deleted. If you lose a little precision, with a soft and fluid driving, perfect efficiency is near, without fortune and happiness of his passenger. One evolves with relaxation and serenity. road engine, we selected the load of the bike: only driver, driver and luggage, driver and passenger + driver + passenger + luggage.Moreover we feel the bike lift with a little damper stiffened each increased choice of load.

We also appreciate the excellent battery life, which can exceed 400 km with a full, without having to draw on the reserve. A well programmed injection, 6th long report, but also a display of the current conso, facilitating autonomy with less 7 liters / 100 km.

CASES INCLUDED

The driving mode will also influence the position of the windscreen, which climbs to 13 cm with its electrical control on the handlebars. Protection motorway is correct and up setting deflects the air well above the helmet. The seat is adjustable in height by 20 mm, this necessarily will this protection, ours is in the low position because the saddle arcade is wide and there are nearly 300 kg fully fueled, to hold off. in the low position with my 75 meter, my feet are flat on the floor. It's perfect. The deflection on the central demand some energy: the Yamaha engineers could have done better at this level.

But the equipment is complete, with standard luggage, heated grips, adjustable on 3 power from the computer menu front, and a 12-volt outlet, located in the storage deck, to power accessories that flyer will surely add to this mount. This small storage is also locked with contact and good practice to put its toll ticket, his car and his phone beep. Note also on the ice adjustable mirrors that offer a broad vision and precise.

The bags are easy to remove and recover, but their volume is just a hair. You enter the helmet, but no rain affairs.We would have also liked a magnetic coded key that locks everything. It will be for next time!

The GT-Sport Yamaha refines its approval with this new album that revolutionize anything otherwise. Box 6 provides increased driving comfort and directional lighting LED secures night driving. FJR 1300 joined the elite category, the BMW R 1200 RT, without reaching the price. It is regrettable that the suspensions that are electrically adjustable without being adaptive, as it can be found on other models. FJR 1300 we made a nice nod ...

Last edited by a moderator:
@UncleHud, I'm not sure that was any more understandable than the original French...and I do not speak French...
not_i.gif