2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see in Yamaha's mind the '16 is a fifth generation bike...good thing we all know it's a fancy GEN III.
rolleyes.gif

--G

Looking at the cross-section of the slipper clutch I wonder if the oil supply to the mechanism is super critical?

It appears that the metal ramping components must slide back and forth against each other as the clutch operates.

The sliding interface would appear to need generous lubrication similar to a camshaft lobe.

How would the metal ramp need more lubrication than the metal clutch plates on center hub or fiber plates on outer housing? These carry force all the time and while not obviously sliding like a camshaft on valve they are vibrating and will cut if not lubricated.

I have to say I agree with the 2016 being the 5th generation. I'm glad someone said it.

To me I always thought the

2003 was part of gen 1

2004-05 gen 2

2006-12 gen 3

2013-15 gen 4

2016 gen 5

It makes perfect sense to me that way and always has.

Nope, still a Gen3ss (six-speed)

Not until YAMAHA boosts it to 1400cc and completely redesigns the bodywork will it be a Gen4.

All these past tweeks are just minor upgrades to the Gen3.

There, it's been said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I agree with the 2016 being the 5th generation. I'm glad someone said it.To me I always thought the

2003 was part of gen 1

2004-05 gen 2

2006-12 gen 3

2013-15 gen 4

2016 gen 5

Thanks Iris. I now have a gen 3......Whoopee!

I have to say I agree with the 2016 being the 5th generation. I'm glad someone said it.To me I always thought the

2003 was part of gen 1

2004-05 gen 2

2006-12 gen 3

2013-15 gen 4

2016 gen 5

Thanks Iris. I now have a gen 3......Whoopee!
Yeah, great. Now I have a Gen3 with a non-functioning cruise control. Dang! Something else around here that needs fixing...

That listing makes mine a Gen4 instead of a Gen3. Getting newer without doing anything!

Now if somebody would make a list where 60 years old is still middle-aged ......

This is my first post, so here it goes. The boot covers, cover that beautiful motor and that is why they are an option. I moved from an ST 1300 that had a completely enclosed motor, except the plastic valve covers. That open area on the FJR actually shows most of that 1300 work of art, and it should be visible. I would never cover it up. The FJR is unique in the sport touring segment in this regard. Yamaha should be proud of showing off that in-line four.

Granted, the BMW shows off the boxer, but it is not in the same class as the FJR.
Hey welcome aboard, the first thing you will find on this forum is that someone will have a different opinion.

Chris
And then you'll notice questions that have already been answered in the depths of their precious "database" are not allowed and Cuntbags like Redfish will harass you for asking about how to make your FJR work better for your riding style.

I started with AE version (ES in NA). I do have same bike but '15 model. So from ergonomic, suspension design for rider - no change at all. From outside of course front LED lights and rear tail with LED are new. The bikes what I have tested had approx 7000 km, with new tires on. Some of new owners mentioned better and smooth clutch - I did not realize any different comparing to my bike. What is definitely different is gearbox and total feel from engine. I do not know if mama yama did any changes on engine itself but this bike works better than mine. It might be just feeling from shorter gears but acceleration, reaction to the throttle and overall feeling is more "sporty". As well as shifting itself is noticeable better and smoother. I really like it - you can change gears without using clutch if you have feeling of revs. My impression of this bike - very good step forward from Yamaha. Some pictures the AE bike:

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

After that one I have taken AS (AE in NA). I am not fun of automatic gearbox in the car and I was always thinking that bike without clutch is like a big scooter. But that is not the case within FJR AS. I was really impressed how good and smooth whole system works. I really like the feeling of changing gears (up and down) under full gas - really cool! I tried to make U-turn (one of my perception was handling of the bike with 0 speed) - no issue at all, works great. I was really impressed by this bike and most probably mine 4th FJR will be AS version (now I have my 3th FJR).

Some pictures of the bike:

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

I was wondering about new gears ratio so I "analyzed" gears and revs in 3 most common speeds - 60 km/h, 100 km/h and 130 km/h. You can find results here:

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

So my conclusion:

Is FJR '16 better than '15 - yes it is.

Is feeling from new gearbox better and more sportive - yes it is.

Are new LED lights cool - yes they are (did not have a chance to try in the dark so can not judge functionality of cornering LED's).

Will I change my '15 to new '16 - no I will not.

If I will have a chance to take discounted '15 or full priced '16 - I will take '16 model. And it will be AS version...

I also liked a lot how the dealer managed whole event - great job from the dealer STYX Sala:

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg