2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My, this is a long topic. 80 pages? I could start a new topic, but I'll just add my 2 cents here.
Picked up my '16 at D&H in Cullman, met Jerold, met my new bike and went for a ride.

I hit the 'southernmost' point in the Florida Keys, the easternmost point in Quoddy Head, Maine, and various other interesting spots along the way. (FINALLY: got to Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon!) Taking my time and just enjoying being on the bike.

Arrived in Texas with 6817 miles on my 22 day old bike.

6th gear is wonderful. Some people say it's an unnecessary overdrive. For super slab work, or smaller highway work, or even 45 mph work - it works fine. I needed to shift down a couple to get some good acceleration, but that is not a hardship.

Cruise control is wonderful. I went to a Cleveland-area shop with 5200 miles to get the 4000 mile oil change. He said that if I wanted to maximize mileage, use the cruise control. The 'brains' on the bike is constantly check throttle position, and if you use your right hand to maintain a constant speed, you are not really maintaining a constant speed, and the bike will react to every input. I think I agree with that.

One of my days, I was totally NOT in a hurry. Only 350 miles to go to my next scheduled hotel stop, and all day to get there. So, I went mostly small (55mph) country highways, and I went with the posted limits. If it was 55, I set the cruise to 56. 45 mph, I went 46. I put 299.6 miles before the last dot started blinking, and 319 total for the tank. 54.6 calculated smiles per gallon. I am a very happy rider.

Worst mpg day was Southern Indiana and Tennessee, into a 30 mph constant head and quarter-head wind. Gusting (I learned later) to 45 mph. It was chilly, exhausting, and not much fun. Lowest mileage for the trip: 41 mpg.

The heated grips are my 2nd favorite feature.

The windshield is too short for a 6'2" rider with a tall torso. I will be getting an aftermarket item very soon.

I chose my timing very well for my trip, weather-wise. I had one loooonnnng rainy, cold day, in KY, WV, VA. My waterproof gloves turned into mops. I had two other days where I needed to put on the rain suit for an hour or so before it cleared up. Just about everything else was sunny and dry.

It was interesting to go from late spring (FL, AL, GA) to early spring, to barely spring, to no sign that spring was anywhere to be found (ME). Then back to almost summer in TX,

I have kept track of every drop I've put in, and I'm averaging 46.5 mpg. I spent many hours looking for the fastest cars I could find, and following at a discrete distance. One day, I followed about 5 cars for over 2 hours at around 90, and only got 45 mpg on that tankful.

My butt hurts after 4 hours. Nothing I could do about it. I hoped to grow some calluses, but at the end of a long day (sometimes 8 hours) it just ached. I have a gel pad, but I didn't bring it, just using the stock seat. I do not have an iron butt.
no2.gif

There was none of the engine heat that is always there on my 2005 model. I had heard that problem was cured long ago, and I can confirm.

Givi 46 liter trunk is just perfect. The Yamaha bag inserts are a nice perk, I used them and filled the bags up with everything I needed.

I avoided night riding, but had to be out a couple of times. The low beams on the bike are brighter and wider than many of the cars I was on the road with. The high beams can light up some of the smaller moons of Jupiter. Great lights.

If anyone want to ask me for advice on getting a new bike...I'd suggest looking hard at the 2016 Yamaha FJR1300. Pretty much an OK bike. IMO.
coolsmiley02.gif

Nice write up on your new ride.

I just turned from a 4200 mile run down to the hill country of Texas. This was my first long ride since modifying the final drive with the SRV gears. For anyone who wants to get the benefit of the taller gearing on a 5 speed FJR this is the way to go. The 2014ES stock set up was 2mph over stated on the speedo. With the addition of the 190/55 rear tire the speedo was in sync with my GPS. After adding the SRV final drive gearing I can report the GPS shows 75MPH at 3500RPM. I would be interested in someone checking the RPM in 6th gear at 75MPH (GPS indicated). As a side note the average mileage per gallon on this trip was 46.8. Much of the trip was at 75 and 80MPH through Texas, New Mexico and Nevada. Heading westbound much of the ride was fairly strong head winds. Like most of you, I think the FJR is the finest bike one can own for the price.

So what dealer in the Cleveland area did your service?
Breyley Yamaha in North Royalton. I called another dealer first. I wish I remembered the name of the first one, so I could badmouth them. I explained that I was on the road, and they said they had an 8 day backlog. "So sorry."

I then called Breyley, explained that I was on the road. They said they had a backlog, but... all I needed for the 4000 mile service was an oil change and a check of tightness all around. "Bring it by, we'll get right on it." I got it there about 11:30, it was on a lift by 11:35. It took longer for me to eat lunch than for them to be ready to send me on my way.

Good folks. Recommended.

I am trying to pull the trigger on a new ES. I want to trade in my 2006. Its just not happening here on LI. Can anyone suggest a motivated dealer that I can contact with the possibilities of maybe shipping one to me? The lowest prices so far around $17,000

So what dealer in the Cleveland area did your service?
Breyley Yamaha in North Royalton. I called another dealer first. I wish I remembered the name of the first one, so I could badmouth them. I explained that I was on the road, and they said they had an 8 day backlog. "So sorry."

I then called Breyley, explained that I was on the road. They said they had a backlog, but... all I needed for the 4000 mile service was an oil change and a check of tightness all around. "Bring it by, we'll get right on it." I got it there about 11:30, it was on a lift by 11:35. It took longer for me to eat lunch than for them to be ready to send me on my way.

Good folks. Recommended.
...That's who I would have recommended. Breyley Yamaha is the only local dealer, that I'd let touch my bike. And they gave me an incredible deal on my new 16ES.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to pull the trigger on a new ES. I want to trade in my 2006. Its just not happening here on LI. Can anyone suggest a motivated dealer that I can contact with the possibilities of maybe shipping one to me? The lowest prices so far around $17,000
Spend 25¢ and call Jennifer at Motorcycles of Manchester NH (MOMS) tell her that Fred and Alan sent ya to MOMS then explain what you are looking for as a deal. You are one ferry ride and some scenic roads in CT and MA away from MOMS.

Spend 25¢ and call Jennifer at Motorcycles of Manchester NH (MOMS) tell her that Fred and Alan sent ya to MOMS then explain what you are looking for as a deal. You are one ferry ride and some scenic CT and MA away from MOMS.
And there's always D&H... best prices in the country but once you factor in shipping it's only a great price.

chivvalry posted: And there's always D&H... best prices in the country but once you factor in shipping it's only a great price.
.... or the best price with a badass road trip back to the house. Post up photos with your Ride Report! (Manchester, too, for that matter.)

Maybe I'm in the minority...once you factor in shipping and all the other BS, $17k is a very competitive price. You **might** save a few hundred on a fly'n-ride, but is it really worth it? Only you can decide that.

YMMV

Good luck!

--G

I did the dirty deed yesterday. I made a deal on a new ES here on LI. I paid a little more than I wanted but they took my trade in and took a few bucks off of a rack/top case. I`m happy. I did contact several dealers you guys suggested but the bikes are all gone and no one is calling me back. Anyone thinking about a new one should act soon if you can find one.Good luck.

It's only money Lou D, you did good. Now enjoy that new scoot.
One of the local guys got tired of folks asking how much it cost so he took a picture to show them.

13245233_10154235351144628_2493654921082878628_n.jpg
Let's see ... it costs about two inches of Benjamins and 7 or 8, maybe 9, shot glasses. With or without Herradura?

Latest posts