2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read an article in Rider mag about the new ES. Seems like it got a pretty good review. 2,600 miles in 3 days. I can`t wait to get mine. We are planning a road trip up to Canada this month. A good way to break her in.

I just read an article in Rider mag about the new ES. Seems like it got a pretty good review. 2,600 miles in 3 days. I can`t wait to get mine. We are planning a road trip up to Canada this month. A good way to break her in.
A few years ago I spent $2400 on suspension upgrades to my Husaberg dirtbike. Had spent $800 previously on rebuild and revalve, and about $800 for same on a previous dirtbike. Thought long and hard as to whether to ES or A my 2016 FJR, decided to order the A. Nearly 3000 miles later I have no regrets. Don't know if dealer set preload or clickers but I haven't found any desire to touch my suspension.

Often ride with a friend who has a 2014 FJR1300A. We are relatively close in mass. There is a bump in road about 4 miles from my home which doesn't bother me a bit but he says its quite severe for him. And he raced pro class MX in Europe in the 70's.

One day we are going to figure out where his clickers are set vs mine. And then discover whether the change in manufacturer of the suspension between 2014 and 2016 makes any difference.

The big plus for electronic suspension is the ability to make adjustments on the fly for different road conditions. I go on a 4,000 mile trip each year to the Rockies or the Smokies and my riding buddy has a K1600GT that he changes the suspension settings depending on whether we are droning on an interstate or hitting the twisties when we get to the mountains. He says that this is really worthwhile so I decided to get a '16 ES and trade in my '13 A--if that's not important to you then an A model is certainly adequate.

To be clear, you must be stopped to change the preload ... like at a traffic light at the foot of the Interstate ramp as you're getting off. <------ That's my favorite place to change suspension settings, and it usually completes the change long before the light turns green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know that but all other adjustments can be made on the fly and you only need to be stationary for a few seconds to change the preload and don't need to get off the bike to move a lever like on the A model.

There are only 4 pre-load settings which must be made when you are stopped. I haven't experimented with them much yet but you should only need to change that once to set the proper sag unless you're changing the load on your bike throughout the day. The damping settings can be changed on the fly, but only between the 'soft', 'standard' and 'hard' while you are rolling. You need to stop to change the 'fine tuning' settings of each of those three base settings. Did I get this right?

It would seem to me you'd get to the point where you're just changing the base settings and not tweaking things beyond that very often mid-ride??

There are only 4 pre-load settings which must be made when you are stopped. I haven't experimented with them much yet but you should only need to change that once to set the proper sag unless you're changing the load on your bike throughout the day. The damping settings can be changed on the fly, but only between the 'soft', 'standard' and 'hard' while you are rolling. You need to stop to change the 'fine tuning' settings of each of those three base settings. Did I get this right?
It would seem to me you'd get to the point where you're just changing the base settings and not tweaking things beyond that very often mid-ride??
Yes, you got that right.

In shopping for a 16 model I found a dealer in Indiana (3 hours from me) advertising an A model for $13999 and ES for $15999. Dealer is in Westfield, just north of Indy. Anyone know if this is for real?

I sent them a quote request yesterday for an OTD price but have not heard back from them yet. Best price I'm getting in my home state of Illinois is $1000 off.

In shopping for a 16 model I found a dealer in Indiana (3 hours from me) advertising an A model for $13999 and ES for $15999. Dealer is in Westfield, just north of Indy. Anyone know if this is for real?
I sent them a quote request yesterday for an OTD price but have not heard back from them yet. Best price I'm getting in my home state of Illinois is $1000 off.
Those prices seem to good to be true, especially for the A model. I thought I had a good deal at $15,200 + doc and sales tax.

$15,999 for an ES matches the D&H price, so that's about as good as it gets. The $13,999 A model price is $600 less than D&H! The dealer cost for an A is estimated to be $13,858!? Maybe they pile on other charges for shipping and assembly?? There's nothing added to the D&H prices except tax and license if you are an AL resident.

$15,999 for an ES matches the D&H price, so that's about as good as it gets. The $13,999 A model price is $600 less than D&H! The dealer cost for an A is estimated to be $13,858!? Maybe they pile on other charges for shipping and assembly?? There's nothing added to the D&H prices except tax and license if you are an AL resident.
I'm thinking they must be adding quit a bit for setup fees, shipping, etc. No one in the midwest is even close to that price. $15K for a A seems to be the going rate.

You're going to love it. My ES is simply an excellent bike all around... a very nice refinement from my excellent 2008. Love the FJR.

... Wish me luck. Pics will definately follow!
Well, then. Good luck today, Lou!
smile.png
Exciting times. Looking forward to the pics.

My '16 ES arrived at the dealer last Friday. They were closed yesterday and are uncrating and assembling it today so I can pick it up tomorrow. Once they figured out how the "preorder program" from Yamaha works and sent in the required paperwork and proof that I put down a deposit on May 13th the bike arrived in exactly 3 weeks. Amazing after trying since late February to get one.

I'm thinking they must be adding quit a bit for setup fees, shipping, etc. No one in the midwest is even close to that price. $15K for a A seems to be the going rate.
I finally got in touch with the dealer in Westfield. Their response was that they have sold all of the FJR's they are getting this year. Doesn't surprise me if they sold at their advertised price. They do have one 15ES left.

Can somebody offer a comparison of air flow on the '16 ('14 & '15 have the same body work I think) compared to the Gen II? I've been riding an '11 for a few years and find the upward blast to be significant at interstate speeds. So much so, that my jacket/raingear gets blown up like a balloon. I could gain some weight for a tighter jacket fit, I guess. Frontal protection is adequate with a medium Cee Bailey. Windshield position doesn't seem to have much effect on the updraft.

I'll be selling the '11 in the next month or 2, so a new bike is likely. Just looking for some real info.