2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BakerBoy

I think you've shaken some of my brain cells. Probably the RT as I've been reading about both it and the FJR. Thanks....

Interesting reading about the shifting, slipper and 6th gear. It's my understanding the 16 bike has a hill holder feature and as I understand it revs the engine a bit on a hill stop. Any comments on this feature? Never cared for it in Subarus and test rides are not available. Thanks.
I heard it also has air conditioning and autopilot.
smile.png

Interesting reading about the shifting, slipper and 6th gear. It's my understanding the 16 bike has a hill holder feature and as I understand it revs the engine a bit on a hill stop. Any comments on this feature? Never cared for it in Subarus and test rides are not available. Thanks.
smile.png
Foot massager and espresso machine, too!

smile.png
Foot massager and espresso machine, too!
Expresso machine only comes on the 49-state ExpreSso (ES) version. Couldn't pass CARB due to odorous emissions.

Well boyz....I purchased a slightly used 2016 A model yesterday and rode it home today from Minnesota. It had 1260 miles on it when I hopped on it and rode off. During my 8 hour trip home today I realized I'm liking the additional 6th gear and the new assist-slipper clutch. AWESOME!!!!!!!

Just got back from a demo ride of several choice Yamaha offerings, including the venerable '16ES. All I can say is it really SUCKED big time to have to get back on Old Yeller afterwards. The bike is truly a fabulous machine. I have test ridden the '15 last year and frankly IMHO the '16 is a Gen IV bike. That slipper clutch alone has changed so much in the ride experience. And with the 5th gear ratio the same as it is on my '05, that makes the 6th gear a true overdrive.

Yeah I told the shop owner that I'll be talking to him in earnest after my trip in Colorado in a couple weeks.

Edit: ok truth be told, I do actually give a rip....lol

But, this bike is different, again IMHO.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a 1700 mile road trip to Vermont, NH, NY and PA. I have to say that this is one nice bike. I had a chance to try out everything. I love the ES suspension and the handling. I agree this is a Gen 3

Stopped in my dealer yesterday, and there she was,...the 16-ES I ordered Feb 26th. Staff putting her together, and I'm busy with work, but Thursday will be pickup day! YAHOO. So, for a while, maybe longer...I'll have 2 FJR's. The 05 is sitting pretty, all cleaned up and only 61,600 miles. Tough sell in upstate NY, as this is high mileage here where the riding season is relatively short. Seeing that I have the garage space, not too big an obstacle to keep the old girl. Keeping plates on it too. Has been trouble free (as expected with a well cared for and durable product). Now,... 4k dead presidents in front of me, would make me both happy and sad. The wife has 3 horses, why can't I have 2 bikes ? The 05 been a pleasure to own. Not having been on any other FJR, the 16 ride ...I just don't know what to expect. Better be all smiles... I got a feeling it will be.

Stopped in my dealer yesterday, and there she was,...the 16-ES I ordered Feb 26th. Staff putting her together, and I'm busy with work, but Thursday will be pickup day! YAHOO. So, for a while, maybe longer...I'll have 2 FJR's. The 05 is sitting pretty, all cleaned up and only 61,600 miles. Tough sell in upstate NY, as this is high mileage here where the riding season is relatively short. Seeing that I have the garage space, not too big an obstacle to keep the old girl. Keeping plates on it too. Has been trouble free (as expected with a well cared for and durable product). Now,... 4k dead presidents in front of me, would make me both happy and sad. The wife has 3 horses, why can't I have 2 bikes ? The 05 been a pleasure to own. Not having been on any other FJR, the 16 ride ...I just don't know what to expect. Better be all smiles... I got a feeling it will be.
You will not be disappointed coming from a Gen I.

Seems not too long ago the pundants were telling us there is no need for a 6th gear. Now that Yamaha has awakened to the fact a 6th gear that results in lowered rpm's is desirable, I have not seen any negative comments here on the folly of 6 gears?? What in Sam Hill has Yamaha done to change this mind set?

I just did about 1500 miles on my 16ES, mostly in the mountains of Colorado and then returning to Phoenix. Man, I am blown away by the mileage I am getting! In my previous three FJRs I averaged about 46 mpg, but now I am getting 55 or even a touch higher. I thought maybe the average was being swayed by my conservative, early, riding on this new machine so I zeroed it out but it still came back to that type of reading. Now I am no hair-on-fire rider but neither am I timid. Can the sixth speed really have that magnitude of an effect? One more thing in the "Glad I bought it" column!

Seems not too long ago the pundants were telling us there is no need for a 6th gear. Now that Yamaha has awakened to the fact a 6th gear that results in lowered rpm's is desirable, I have not seen any negative comments here on the folly of 6 gears?? What in Sam Hill has Yamaha done to change this mind set?
My often faulty memory remembers that every year, a few months before Yamaha announces the next FJR features everyone starts speculating what the color will be and if Yamaha will finally add a sixth gear. In this very thread, beginning someplace around post 300 or so people were very cool to the idea of a 6 speed. Take a read through the early history in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not be disappointed coming from a Gen I.
I love my Gen 3...prolly my favoritist FJR ever. But if I only owned one FJR, and it was my 2004...I would ride that thang with a big smile on my face without apologizing.

In fact, since my son brought back my 04 with him as he and his wife moved south. I may just steal that thing for a ride...since my 13 is out in Seattle getting corrupted.

Stopped in my dealer yesterday, and there she was,...the 16-ES I ordered Feb 26th.
Congrats yamadave! After spending a little time on a '16, you won't be disappointed with the new ES...sweet machine all around!

In fact, since my son brought back my 04 with him as he and his wife moved south. I may just steal that thing for a ride...since my 13 is out in Seattle getting corrupted.
haha.gif
whistle.gif

--G

My often faulty memory remembers that every year, a few months before Yamaha announces the next FJR features everyone starts speculating what the color will be and if Yamaha will finally add a sixth gear. In this very thread, beginning someplace around post 300 or so people were very cool to the idea of a 6 speed. Take a read through the early history in this thread.
However, now that many '16 owners are posting their actual experience with the new 6 speed there seems to be a lot of support for it. I personally think it is a huge improvement over the 5 speed, especially with the slipper clutch.