2018 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry - this is horrible. IMNSHO, this is the ugliest FJR ever.
No one pays $18,000 for a brand new rat rod. At least no one with any sense.....
Don't look at it that way. Imagine getting a 4 year newer FJR with 6 speed, slipper, and LED lights....and transferring your red plastic over to a new bike* that also has matching black frame and trim pieces. THAT would be a seriously cool bike.

Then selling a well used matte blue '14 to recoup some of the delta.

* Assumes the plastic mounting points are the same between a '14 and '18....an interesting proposition I'm curious about, but probably won't actually do.

I would not expect a good color or matte finish match if you ever had to get a lid repainted. Just don't drop it - right...
rolleyes.gif
You could probably get a pretty good match using blue spray on bedliner....

While working on the comparison matrix I plugged in the new MSRP numbers and see the trend continues in value. 2018 FJRs are the second best value of all ABS models (2004-2018) when looking just at MSRP and adjusted for inflation*.
* I made the assumption had Yamaha offered a 2017 model it have been priced the same price as 2016 and 2018 and used August 2017 inflation data as November is not yet available.

Might be the Best of the dealer floor deals. But, IMHO, resale value is gonna be the same falling rock as prior years. To end on a positive note, BUY to RIDE, not to resale.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an interesting concept, Iggy. Swapping tank and plastics.

Also, is the luggage rack black?

I bet the wheels are that shiny black useless crap disguised as paint.

I would not expect a good color or matte finish match if you ever had to get a lid repainted. Just don't drop it - right...
rolleyes.gif
You could probably get a pretty good match using blue spray on bedliner....
Shoei makes a new matte blue RF-SR helmet that looks kind of close

kfSZPsS.jpg

Mama Yama must really like blue... what is this .... about 5 out of the last 12 years are (boring) blue?
Nothing wrong w/ it, but 2014 RED is really HOT! Maybe they just lost that other half of the color wheel.
Did I hear that right, did you say BORING? My 05 Galaxy Blue overheard that crack and wants to meet you and your bike out behind the workshop. Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment.

It's only middle September !!!

This must be some sort of record for an early reveal by Mommy-yammie. Have we ever seen a model year where the new model was revealed any earlier on the calendar than Sept 21?

This must be some sort of record for an early reveal by Mommy-yammie. Have we ever seen a model year where the new model was revealed any earlier on the calendar than Sept 21?
Once again the FJR Model Comparison Matrix delivers. Yes, at least 2014, 2012, and 2011. I didn't keep track of announcement dates earlier than that, but guess a person can review the forum and find the various threads each year.

My wallet is safe for another year. I've had more compliments on the red than any bike I have ever owned and it's my favorite as well. Maybe next year.

Its my fault. I want blue and they haven't been able to get me away from my '06. Too bad the '06 is paid for and runs like a champ.
Does the matte finish require different care? Different waxes ....?
My 2016 Honda F6B, right down the road from you, in Leander, is matte white, and I love it. I use Dr. Beasley's products for matte finishes, and it looks great!

uTWA79Nh.jpg

Mona's BMW F800ST is a matte silver/grey and I must admit probably the easiest bike to keep looking clean ever so the matte finish does have that going for it. I'm just not a fan of it for my own vehicle.

JSNS

Ignacio's graph:
2017-09-21_12-42-04.png

Looks like 2008, 2015, and 2018 have had the lowest new-bike prices when adjusted for inflation. So, y'all go buy a bunch of new FJRs and convince Yamaha to bring the adjusted price down farther for 2019 and 2020.

I'm sorry - this is horrible. IMNSHO, this is the ugliest FJR ever.
No one pays $18,000 for a brand new rat rod. At least no one with any sense.....
Sorry Pants but I beg to disagree. I think that blue is awesome! But thats coming from a guy who rides a "lucifer orange" Triumph Sprint!

I was so hoping for a red or yellow bike.. now I'm not sure if I will get a 1 year old black bike and save about 3 grand or buy the blue that has no upgrades over the 2017 model.. I'm so torn about this one... I really didn't want black but I don't think the blue is worth that much more to me.

Latest posts