"3 Sisters" Uvallde area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel78362

Reaction score
Hello All,

Want to plan a 3 day trip around the Uvallde/San Antonio "3 Sisters" area. looking for budget minded suggestions on lodging and such.

Also routes and things that are must see or do. Ive been campig up in the area, but not on the moto, would love to spend the day straightening out some of those roads. Company would be a plus. Please feel free to email me with suggestions and/or advise.

To All, Be Good Be Safe

Been there several times - I'm leaving for that area on Thursday (11/8/12) for a 4 night bike camping trip (1st time camping). Although I'm not helping you, maybe you can help me? Where have you been camping near the 3-sisters roads?

Lucenbach, Fredrickberg, and Bandera are nice towns to stop and look around.

Lost Maples State Park is absolutely gorgeous.

The Enchanted Rock _______ (state park? National monument? - I forget)is also neat.

The Frio Canyon bar/restaurant is a pirate biker stop - .... eh, I'd pass if I were you, but when you see it, you won't.

From a riding perspective, the Hill Country is gorgeous and kind of limited in that from all directions, the ride getting there is boring (I'll have 450 miles of slab). Also, it's about 200 miles of fantastic riding, but that's it. We'll prolly stay there a couple days and move on to somewhere else.

Lots of stuff around there to see. We like staying in Bandera at the river front cabins

RIver cabins

Nice place although sometimes it's hard to contact the reservations folks

Also, you can't go to this area without stopping and eating some apple pie. It's All Things Apple here and can't be missed

Eat Pie Here

I'm assuming you've read up on FM 335/6/7. Don't forget to get gas, it can be pretty far away if you forget.

The bathroom at the gas station just south of Lost Maples has to set a record for a new low in bathrooms, disgusting.

The Bluebonnett cafe has a spectacular breakfast but the place is jammed on Sunday morning. You can walk right in and sit down on Monday though. Terrific pie all the time. Don't miss it

Cafe

Have fun! THe weather should be nice. About the only decent riding for any distance in Texas

Edit: There's also a cool but small motorcycle museum near Lost Maples. Some interesting bikes but the big draw is it has good hamburgers! Try to plan lunch there

Museum

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the website, Hillcountrycruising.com to find something that fits your needs. I live in Helotes at the foot of the hill country on Tx16, but it is pretty much big city now and you can find Motel6 etc., but the smaller mom and pop operations further in the boonies are more colorful. Please understand this, This IS NOT the dragon and average speeds will be about 40-50 if you are lucky...its more of a cruiser environment and HardleyDavidslow show so relax and enjoy the scenery, nice and cool from now 'till maybe mid-march. Do NOT ride the hill country at night on a motorcycle !!!! You WILL become a statistic...3 FJR riders have been killed at night in as many years there...there are no guardrails or shoulders to speak of, but turnouts are around and gravelly. This is a beautiful part of the country so come ride with us ! Hope this helps a little.

Blessings,

Bobby

1352128142[/url]' post='1013387']Check out the website, Hillcountrycruising.com to find something that fits your needs. I live in Helotes at the foot of the hill country on Tx16, but it is pretty much big city now and you can find Motel6 etc., but the smaller mom and pop operations further in the boonies are more colorful. Please understand this, This IS NOT the dragon and average speeds will be about 40-50 if you are lucky...its more of a cruiser environment and HardleyDavidslow show so relax and enjoy the scenery, nice and cool from now 'till maybe mid-march. Do NOT ride the hill country at night on a motorcycle !!!! You WILL become a statistic...3 FJR riders have been killed at night in as many years there...there are no guardrails or shoulders to speak of, but turnouts are around and gravelly. This is a beautiful part of the country so come ride with us ! Hope this helps a little.

Blessings,

Bobby
Thanks! I'm headed out there Friday! Staying in Fredericksburg. Looking forward to it.

Ricch

Lots of stuff around there to see. We like staying in Bandera at the river front cabins

RIver cabins

Nice place although sometimes it's hard to contact the reservations folks

Also, you can't go to this area without stopping and eating some apple pie. It's All Things Apple here and can't be missed

Eat Pie Here

I'm assuming you've read up on FM 335/6/7. Don't forget to get gas, it can be pretty far away if you forget.

The bathroom at the gas station just south of Lost Maples has to set a record for a new low in bathrooms, disgusting.

The Bluebonnett cafe has a spectacular breakfast but the place is jammed on Sunday morning. You can walk right in and sit down on Monday though. Terrific pie all the time. Don't miss it

Cafe

Have fun! THe weather should be nice. About the only decent riding for any distance in Texas

Edit: There's also a cool but small motorcycle museum near Lost Maples. Some interesting bikes but the big draw is it has good hamburgers! Try to plan lunch there

Museum
Thanks for the input. Ive only been camping at a private campground along the Nueces river. A little more pricey than State Parks but the accommodations are a light step above. Stayed at a place just about 5 miles south of the town of Camp Wood on Hwy 55. I cant remember the name, called Camp Wood...something. There was also a nice looking County park right on the river, also on Hwy 55 just south of Camp Wood. I'm sorry i couldn't be more helpful, but at least it's a start.

I want to thank everyone for their input, I'll do my home work and keep everyone posted. Keep it coming. To all......Be Good, Be Safe.

Thanks! I'm headed out there Friday! Staying in Fredericksburg. Looking forward to it.
Rich - I'm leaving for that area on Thursday. I'm camping on private property on Hwy 337 near Leakey. I'll be ripping it around the sisters and hill country all weekend. We plan to do walk around Lost Maples State Park and Enchanted Rock, but no other plans. Heading the long way home on Sunday, home on Monday. Hit me a PM if you'd like to share some miles.

Daniel - perhaps your trip is more in the future?

You can pay us back with a great ride report with lots of pictures!!!
Oh... I'm no Tyler, but I imagine I'll be able to rustle up something. (A little Cowboy lingo there... :p )

Y'all timed it PERFECT for Lost Maples...Colors will be peaking this very weekend ! It's not New England but it aint bad ! Enjoy and get where you're goin before dark....vampire deer.

Daniel - I've jacked up your thread already, so why stop now?

I had a blast. It was 1500 miles of great fun. I'm putting together a ride report that will include a lot of things I learned about the area.

Stay tuned....

1352927619[/url]' post='1015765']Daniel - I've jacked up your thread already, so why stop now?

I had a blast. It was 1500 miles of great fun. I'm putting together a ride report that will include a lot of things I learned about the area.

Stay tuned....
Sorry I missed this! We had an awesome time! Three sisters is something to experience! That little motorcycle museum in Vanderpool was cool too.