4 CORNERS - 10/10THS RIDE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I presume you will be coming up 95, right? When do you think you will be riding through Virginia?
Assuming we are able to leave on time, and assuming that everything goes as planned...

We will ride up I-95 and hit Va. in the rush hour. The goal being to hit the DC area right after rush and grind it out till we clear Boston before morning rush.

BUTT... the way things are going now...
mad.gif

I will make something work. I am out in Joshua Tree M-F during the day. Will buzz back Thursday afternoon and meet you in SD. I will arrange a backup too, so ou need not worry.
Awesomeness! I'm sure you can find a landing strip or carrier nearby if needed.

I just have to wonder why a wonderfully ambitious ride like this gets almost no attention from the LD Ryders on this forum? I mean, phuck, the Candy Butt Ass is apparently more interested than the hard core IBA/R peeps? Something aint right!
Um, I think it's pretty straight-forward, Don.

Us CBA types are sitting here reading about other folks rides.

The IBA/R types are out acutally riding.

I presume you will be coming up 95, right? When do you think you will be riding through Virginia?
Assuming we are able to leave on time, and assuming that everything goes as planned...

We will ride up I-95 and hit Va. in the rush hour. The goal being to hit the DC area right after rush and grind it out till we clear Boston before morning rush.

BUTT... the way things are going now...
mad.gif
Thursday or Friday AM?

I never was the brightest kid on the block but what is a Pines to Palms ride??? Canada to Key West in under X hours?? Canadian FJR
Highest point of the lower 48 states to the lowest point of the lower 48 states. (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West, FL) The ride has nearly identical mileage and timing of a 50CC.

IMO it is much more difficult. I did Palms 2 Pines 2 Palms, which is like the 100CCC. The 2400 miles or so on the P2P is complicated by crossing into Canada, then back into

the US via a "Call-in" shack and a number code they give you incase you are stopped by a moving border guard. The ride consist of an approach into the Inlet which is gravel

roads for quite some distance (More than 20 miles) You have 50 hours to ride one way. Then of course there's the Key West timing at the other end.

I texted Mike to tell him to leave when he was ready, as my bike is down and will not be ready for the ride. I have an option of taking the '08 FJR, but I have no saddle time with

her and she is not set up at all. So the GPX file I created for gas with an AUX. tank would be worthless, as I would have a stock bike with no fuel cell... Sooo bummed.....

I never was the brightest kid on the block but what is a Pines to Palms ride??? Canada to Key West in under X hours?? Canadian FJR
Highest point of the lower 48 states to the lowest point of the lower 48 states. (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West, FL)
Shitty deal Tony.

I think you meant most northerly point in the lower 48, not highest. I checked, Angle Point is nowhere near the highest point.

Highest point of the lower 48 states to the lowest point of the lower 48 states. (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West, FL)
Shitty deal Tony.

I think you meant most northerly point in the lower 48, not highest. I checked, Angle Point is nowhere near the highest point.
Yes, most northernly and southernly- lowest and highest with regards to map placement
rolleyes.gif

I have been screwed by the local Yamaha shop so many times in the past, that it is my fault that I even took it back to them. We were sharing "Greater Yamaha" horror stories at work

last night. They suck so bad, but I will try to hold my words as they are holding my bike hostage as I type. I envy the riders who have the time and tools to do their own work or have a

reliable shop to take their bikes to. I have neither....

Oh he is riding really well !

He's almost to the main border crossing already...

Mike, if you read this: I can try downloading the GPX into your GPS here.

If that doesn't work, while you sleep I will fix your bike up with one of my 550's with the route already loaded.

Called Yamaha-

They were supposed to call me yesterday to let me know what the recharging issue was- No call...

Now I learned they have not even looked at the bike- They just plain SUCK ...

One of my friends at work just purchased a brand new Victory from them and noticed the fuel gauge wasn't working. He takes it into them, doesn't hear from them for a week

so he calls them up. They tell him the part is on order and they hope to have it by the end of the month- which was weeks away. He tells them that he can ride without the gauge

just fine and can drop the bike back to them when the part comes in. They tell him "fine pick up the bike tomorrow". He goes back to the shop the next day to find his bike disassembled

and not ready.

This is so typical of them. But to their credit....... Their billing is VERY complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, Tony.

Any way to tell if maybe it was just your stator?

We gotta have SOMEone close enough to ya to take a look.

I'd offer, but believe me - you do NOT want me to work on your bike.

Maybe 'Howie could get over there to take a look?

I am gonna let Mike make the decision on whether I try and ride with him on the base '08 FJR and catch up after each extra fuel stop.OR

he rides his ride and concentrates without me. Then I will leave when my bike is ready.

The downside for me is motel reservations in Halifax and witnesses have been lined up for his ride, but with my tardy departure, I would need to hit fire stations

throughout the ride for witnesses. Either way... both rides WILL happen. Wow.... I may actually have to ride my gen 2 (Which would be a new experience)

We knew something was up when you had it up here in regards to charging. If your shop is like the one here, they NEVER have what I need parts-wise and have to order. FJRs are just limited production stuff to them so they don't carry alot of things for it.

I have to believe that there is some interchangeability among the Yamaha line, but it takes a knowing parts person that has knowledge beyond the parts book and the gumption to figure that out.

Good luck! I still have to change my front tire to be ready for Montana, but waiting on that front abs sensor plate so I can do it all at once.

Tony, good luck on your ride, I will be watching your progress! I may have missed it in the thread but I am wondering how many days you will gone for the entire Four Corners ride?

Like Mr, Carver, I am a die hard Candy Butt, however, I am setting up a plan to ride something similar in the fall of '14. It will be my 50 / 60 / 70 ride. Fifty states and provinces in sixty days in my 70th year. I plan to avoid freeways to the extent possible, visit many friends, see so much of this great country and avoid restaurants that I recognize the name.

Ralph

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a call from Tripper Mike earlier today. He's barely begun his trip of 10,000 miles and has already been pulled over by one of Wisconsin's finest.

Not for speed though. The trooper wanted to inform Mike his rear tire looked low. Mike is running an Michelin Exalto. :)