4 CORNERS - 10/10THS RIDE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
***SPOT(s) added on Post #29

I have only 2 cert. rides left on my "To Do" list. A "Hell Week" attempt and this ride. Next year will be my last multi-ride year, then its flower sniffing time for me.

Well, I need to start planning my fall ride now. I will start in West Palm Beach, ride to Key West and ride an unofficial 4 corners with a Trans Canada Gold

on the northern leg. I would like to make this ride in 10 days for a 10/10ths. Anyone interested in doing all or part of this ride with me is most certainly invited.

The cert. possibility: Four Corners

50cc

B2B

Trans Canada Gold

SS1000 (s)

I will just be doing a Trans Canada Gold and a 10/10ths so... I can sign off as a witness (Preferred) for anyone attempting any of the other rides.

I need to contact Ira for a few guidelines and then I will most likely plan this ride out next weekend.

My timeline is somewhat open, but end of August seems like a good time for me.

c8127245-b4fc-4f1f-aaef-1b9c90136ad2_zps2ebb89c1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SS2K, Iron Butt Rally, and now this??? You sir are certifiable.

What's flower sniffing? 6 SS1K's per year?

I think Tony needs an offical Candy Butt Association membership.

Tony, number 11 is open... then when you retire you 'ride with pride'!

Will you be needing a witness in Halifax, Nova Scotia for the TC portion? If so, let me know, I'm only 1.5 hrs from there.

Canadian FJR

I know you don't have a specific date picked yet Tony, but do you have an idea as to what day of the week and time of day you'd want to start out?

Knowing nothing about the Keys, I thought that rolling into that area early Monday morning I would face minimal traffic. So I'd start my Pines 2 Palms run in the early hrs on a Sat. I am also inclined to think (my frozen North thought processes at work here) that beginning the run into the Keys anytime near midnight on any given day might be good. Unless of course the gators wait to come out until midnight.

Will you be needing a witness in Halifax, Nova Scotia for the TC portion? If so, let me know, I'm only 1.5 hrs from there.

Canadian FJR
I might need witnesses, I will contact IRA this weekend. In the past, no witnesses were needed for everything within the context of the 10/10ths - just the

start and finish of the 10/10ths.

I know you don't have a specific date picked yet Tony, but do you have an idea as to what day of the week and time of day you'd want to start out?
Knowing nothing about the Keys, I thought that rolling into that area early Monday morning I would face minimal traffic. So I'd start my Pines 2 Palms run in the early hrs on a Sat. I am also inclined to think (my frozen North thought processes at work here) that beginning the run into the Keys anytime near midnight on any given day might be good. Unless of course the gators wait to come out until midnight.
Mike, you're the one who will most likely determine much of the timing of this ride.

I have a motto when it comes to riding that I try to integrate into my rides ... "South in the night / North in the light"

Were you running the Pines2Palms in that order? I guess I thought you were doing the Palms2Pines. (?)

I will most likely start my ride out of West Palm Beach around 8 pm, This gives me a midnight Key West arrival and a quick touch and go gets me through Miami

before morning rush. I'll swing by the house and pick up the side cases and be off.

I have decided not to link this ride with my family get-together in Iowa. I will be done with this ride, then ride to Iowa for that event.

* IF it worked out for you ... I could ride down to Key West and witness for you (Start or End)

I am planning my ride to Iowa so that I can arrive Friday, Sept. 13th.

Were you planning a Halifax stop? IF you ride down off the clock and do a Palms2Pines back north you could join the tail end of my ride and hit Halifax.

Otherwise ... if you do your ride and time it with my Iowa visit, Our routes would be identical to northern Iowa.

Let me know... it would be nice riding with you.

I have only 2 cert. rides left on my "To Do" list. A "Hell Week" attempt and this ride. Next year will be my last multi-ride year, then its flower sniffing time for me.
You, my friend, are nutz. If you do that, I want to be part of your pit crew :) .

I had forgotten you were planning to go clockwise. Hmmmm Then maybe this would be the time for a 50CC.
PM incoming after the SW WI spin.
Leaning towards counter- clockwise

Some thoughts:

Just shy of 11k (10 days will be tough)

Leave at 8 pm from West Palm to Key West to Halifax 2800 miles-try to make it in 50 hours/ motel in Halifax.

I have 75 hours to do the TCG (3700 miles)

Drop south to Blaine, WA and set up timing for San Ysidro, CA run

Roadside rest my way to Jacksonville/Key West/West Palm

Overall average : 1200 OD miles per day

After contact with Ira, Witnesses are not required, but recommended on the corners...

...so if anyone here is near: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Vancouver, BC

San Diego, CA

Please let me know if you can provide witness service for me. I will be running SPOT and tracking will be available.

Thanks, Tony

Tony coulda been a salesman. Got the days off from work. Enough days to do the Pines2Palms, a quick run up to Halifax, then head westward to Vancouver before returning to Duluth. Hope to go to the VBR and find a few fellow forumites to sign my end witness form. Didn't really think I'd ever attempt a 10/10, and I'd have say it'll be really interesting to see if I can.

But once we part ways in WA Tony, you know you'll be on your own, right? You going to be able to find your way back home OK? <tongue-in-cheek> emoticon here

Yeah I'm a little quite nervous about doing a trip of this magnitude. But I have approx. 3 weeks to get a grip on it.

This is great news! - I think you will be happy with your decision. I was at work thinking that you were riding the "Grinding" portion of this ride (Up the east coast and eastern

Canada) and your intended turn south at Winnipeg would leave you missing out on the best section of the ride. (Western Canada) I went over the ride and had these thoughts:

I have no extra time on the tail end, so it might be possible that I have to finish in West Palm Beach and chop the return to Key West if I am behind schedule.

The east coast run could really be a PITA if our timing isn't just right.

New areas for riding for me, as I have never ridden Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. (Or ridden east of Montreal for that matter)

We could use a witness in Vancouver, BC (Anyone?)

I could use a San Diego witness.

I will try to run my IBR front tire with 14k on it. (Need it to last 11k more)

Day 2 always has been my worst day of a 10/10ths

Mike I will PM you with some Q+A.

"a quick run up to Halifax, then head westward to Vancouver before returning to Duluth"

The VBR is August 23-25 so can I assume that you will be in Halifax around August 18th?

Canadian FJR