400 mile oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preacherman

Reaction score
Well I got 4000 miles on the 07 and I just did my second oil change. I used the Yamaha oil the first time but this time I decide to try a full synthetic oil (Mobile 1 V-twin). I know that the fjr is not a v-twin but I tried it anyway. I don't no how long it will last but that big clonk that I hear when changing from 1st to 2nd gear is gone. I plan to do a 350 mile ride saturdayand after that I will know if this is just my amagination. Could the Synthetic oil make that much of a difference? I did a search after I changed the oil saw where some one posted a problem with the M-110 oil filter but nothing about sythetic oil. I will finsih up my second service before my ride Saturday, I will keep you posted. Sorry if this has already been posted, I did the search but of course I still learning how things work.

Well I got 4000 miles on the 07 and I just did my second oil change. I used the Yamaha oil the first time but this time I decide to try a full synthetic oil (Mobile 1 V-twin). I know that the fjr is not a v-twin but I tried it anyway. I don't no how long it will last but that big clonk that I hear when changing from 1st to 2nd gear is gone. I plan to do a 350 mile ride saturdayand after that I will know if this is just my amagination. Could the Synthetic oil make that much of a difference? I did a search after I changed the oil saw where some one posted a problem with the M-110 oil filter but nothing about sythetic oil. I will finsih up my second service before my ride Saturday, I will keep you posted. Sorry if this has already been posted, I did the search but of course I still learning how things work.

What weight was that oil? A thicker oil will quiet any transmission. I run a thin synthetic, 5W40 so it makes the tranny a little clunky but I wear ear plugs and can't hear it.

My bike was clnky and loud when shifting gears but at my 4000 mile service I got a new bike that sounded and performed much better. I am not sure if this was a break in time or oil but I love my bike now better than the day I bought it.

Anyway, when are ya'll going? I went to the races there, but failed to visit the museum.
Dude, I had such respect for you all this time I've been on the forum (Geez, 3 months now), but now I find that you've been there and NOT attended the museum!??!?!?

Go.

Now.

It's 11:10 Eastern, you'll be there before it gets light, so you can stop at a Waffle Shop for a ham-sausage-bacon-steak-cheese omelet with a waffle and a big glass of milk. When you get done in the bathroom, the museum will be open.

Got it all planned out for ya, just aimin' to help. :D

Well, then, you can take a nap first! Or spend more time in the bathroom. . .

I myself am considering coming up for the historics next month. Depends on $ availability, as we're trying to scrape up for a trip to El Paso where our boy is finishing ROTC at UTEP and getting commissioned in December. He's coming here after, but we'd still like to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your helmet on, man.
Ok come on and go with us. Going to the Barber Sport Motorcyle Musem.
Well, I was trying to get you safely geared up for the pending dog-pile that I thought would ensue.

Anyway, when are ya'll going? I went to the races there, but failed to visit the museum.
Haven't you heard? This is the new and improved, kinder and more gentle forum.