5 Day Ride Plan - New Mexico / Colerado - May 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBRITBOB

Reaction score
Hi - Fresh from my recent exploits in Deep South (see Dixie Shunpikin 2015 Ride Report), my next venture is a 5 day / night circular rental ride starting & finishing in Albuquerque - May 2016.

So far I have Santa Fe, Taos & Red River Loop, Mesa Verde and Durango train trip on bucket list.

Would like to hear of serious bike friendly routes, interesting (rather than cheap) accommodations and potential places of interest taking in the above destinations but I am prepared to be flexible. Million $ Highway sure to be part of trip and Montrose CO looks interesting....

I will be riding solo, towards the end of May 2016.

Limitations - 5 nights only, rental pick up and drop off will be 1 p.m. - Monday to Saturday, max 300 miles / day - preferably less!

The very first suggestion I have is to contact HotRodZilla. HRZ (A.J.) is one of the more popular members of this forum, he lives in Albuquerque. A good man to know, full of good information. ( I cannot believe I just typed that!
uhoh.gif
)

When you leave Taos on Hwy 64 headed West you will cross the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. There is a nice rest area on the West side of the gorge where you can park your bike, walk around and take pics.

Hwy 64 across Northern New Mexico is beautiful.

Montrose is not really "interesting" but there are nice things on both sides of Montrose that are interesting. Just outside of Montrose going East is The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. This is worth seeing.

A few miles East of that are the Dillon Pinnacles on Blue Mesa Reservoir.

If you have the time I can recommend Hwy 141 in SW Colorado.

I also recommend a side trip over to Monument Valley. This is on the AZ/Utah border and I know that is a bit West of your ride plan but...If you could get reservations at the Valley View Hotel in Monument Valley...

This shot was from the balcony of my room at the Valley View Hotel:

From Durango, ride to Pagosa. From there, run south and then left onto 64 just south of Chama. Hit the Gorge and then go north to Questa and east to Red River. Stay in RR and Patch and I will meet you the next morning and take the great roads to Albuquerque.

Thank you all for info - lots to digest, 141 looks no brainer after Mesa Verde, Monument Valley is my screen saver at work! HRZ - are we looking for half or full day trip?

From Durango to Albuquerque is a full day, maybe 0800 to 5pm. A ride from Durango around The Enchanted Circle wiLL probably be shorter than that, but I've never done that route that way because I've never had to.

I agree with everything stated above. Hope you have the time! Last year I spent several days in that SW quad of CO then dropped down to Aztec, NM and across to Taos then SF before heading home to KS.

The only thing that may be iffy is that part of CO and any high passes at the end of May. I know in some parts of CO (around RMNP) some passes are not open until July.

The passes are usually not a problem that time of year if you watch the weather. Let me know your route as you get closer to the ride. I live 7 miles from the western base of the Black Canyon road and would love to ride it with you and show you around. If I'm home.

Other suggestions maybe already covered. 133 Carbondale to Paonia, 92 Black Canyon (epic), Million Dollar HWY, Independence Pass (Aspen to Twin Lakes).

Trip on - now El Durango Cinco, myself and 4 from AL / AK inc FJRBANDIT. ZBear and HOTRODZILLA hoping to make an appearance! FJRBANDIT has promised to write a ride report!

Route confirmed:

25 May: ABQ / Cuba / Apache Res / Durango

26: 550 / 62 / 141 / Grand Mesa 65 / 92 / 50 / Gunny.

27: 149 /160/ 84/64 Chama/ bits 17 / 64 Taos / 522 / 38 Eagle Nest.

28: Santa Fe Brunch / ABQ - bye bye - off to Blighty!

Sorry - being lazy - Gunnison!
:lol: Think you missed a standard Forum exclamation, Bob. But wow, how do you decide where to go with five days in the U.S.? At Monument Valley, you're so close to Page, AZ and the amazing slot canyons, and the gorgeous National Parks in southern Utah (the most dramatic scenery in the country, IMO), and of course the Grand Canyon, and . . . guess you'll just have to come back. Have a great visit. Hope you meet up with a bunch of Forum folks.

5 days became 3 - wife wanted more time frying in Key Largo and on the ranch in Gila, something had to give and it was my trip!

Yes, I'll be back to all those places you mention and more, already part planned - many thanks!