50l rear rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.wellingweb.nl/joomla/index.php/bagagerek
Any idea what the purpose of the two spacers is?

Rack is in place but not sure why I need them or if I need them.

Canadian FJR
Be in no doubt, you do need them.

Pictures I took when taking the rack off my old bike:

(Click on image for larger view)

This shows the bits in place having just taken out the screws:

The bits laid out after removal:

Without the spacer there would be bending strain on the rack when the screws are tightened, not desirable on a cast aluminium piece, it also aligns the levels of the casting the screws go in to.

[edited to add]

You don't need to remove the side plastic pieces to enlarge the slots, this can be done in situ (though you do need care to avoid damage to the bike's frame).

I've put the instructions as pictures, starting at the image below (click on the "next" link to get to the next page, or click on "more" to select any):

And for completeness, you can find the top case instructions starting with the image below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the rack for the 39L. Do you have to cut any body work with the 50L?

Are you adding any other stiffening to the back end?

You can fit either the 50 or 39 with this rear carrier.

You do need to trim a slight amount from the side panel when installing the carrier.

Im not installing a stiffy kit.

Canadian FJR

Yamaha top case -39 l

No plate, the rack/carrier is designed for the case to mount directly to it.

Canadian FJR

I did not realize that Yamaha made a 39L. I will need to check out the rack and top case you bought at the dealership this weekend.

HTW1300

To be clear -

39lt case fits the bike with no mods required.

50lt case requires the upgraded rack.

The upgraded rack requires cutting the bodywork.

The 39lt case will fit the upgraded rack also.

-Steve

...The upgraded rack requires cutting the bodywork.

-Steve
To clarify, the cutting is minor, doesn't need the removal of the panels that Yamaha's instructions suggest, and is unobtrusive even if you revert the rear rack to the original.

FJR Pilot while the 39L does not need the stronger rack I hope the rack would help strengthen the system and help to minimize any risk of cracking the subframe.

Any chance of getting a picture of the installed unit?

Canadian FJR any chance you have the part numbers for what you bought. I went to my local dealership today and they were not helpful and kept saying go to GIVI but I do not like the look of their plate.

Black 50lt top case - 1MC-F84A8-00-00

Replacement rear rack - 1MC-248D0-00-00

Pricing in Canada is very high.

I bought mine from a US source. I went with the black top case, as US colors are not the same as Canadian.

-Steve

Any chance of getting a picture of the installed unit?
Bike currently trapped by snow at dealer, however a few pics taken earlier of a very dirty bike after a trip, may give you some idea.(Click on image for larger view)

Does anyone know if the new rack 1MC-248D0-00-00 would fit the Shad 39L top case that Yamaha is selling? The dealer thought it would but they were not helpful on the other information so I am not sure I trust the "opinion"

Great pics BTW and the dirt just shows you ride the bike hard.

Sorry HTW, just seeing this now. My new (powder coated black) rear carrier is now installed. As Mcatrophy mentioned, cutting is very minor. I just used a dremel and slowly ground away until it fit nicely.

I have used the original stock plastic mount on my "03 and I can confirm that this new one allows the top box to mount much firmer.

A great addition.

Canadian FJR

Thanks everyone. I am going to try the new rack with the shad 39L and see what happens. the Yamaha 39L is just too expensive.

OH NO ... @mcatrophy, I think you overlooked the diagram in the lower right corner of the second page of the rack installation instructions. You appear to have ridden you bike with both side cases & a top box installed. ... I'm glad you didn't suffer a spill in that configuration!

LOL, silly lawyers ...
uhuh.gif

OH NO ... @mcatrophy, I think you overlooked the diagram in the lower right corner of the second page of the rack installation instructions. You appear to have ridden you bike with both side cases & a top box installed. ... I'm glad you didn't suffer a spill in that configuration!
LOL, silly lawyers ...
uhuh.gif
Yamaha's Rules.

(Click on any image for larger view)

Weight limit stamped on rear carrier for load limit: 5kg/11lbs.

Weight limit on label inside top case: also 5kg/11lbs.

Does the top case weight nothing?

Well, no, something like 7.7kg, 17lbs. So we are not allowed to put the top case on its carrier.*

Then there's the (extremely expensive, but very useful) inner bag. Including its removable inner partition:

Another 2.2kg, 5lbs.

Weigh both together:

Looks like 10kg, 22lbs.

That means that, without any of our own stuff, we are are at twice the limit of the carrier.

So much for Yamaha restrictions.

*All weighings are done using my 48-year-old bathroom scales, guaranteed to be accurate enough for the purposes of this post.

Ps. I don't have the "@" symbol in front of my moniker, I'm just plain mcatrophy
rolleyes.gif

I bought the Yamaha rack 1MC-248D0-00-00 and a Givi 47L. is there a bracket missing to fit the Givi to this rack ? they do not seem to fit together ?