$5300 claim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Daly

YES I ran the fatty over!!
Reaction score
Well the insurance adjuster was here today and went through the bike. though it didnt look all that bad the final tally was $5300 with labor. He said he also had concerns about the forks being right though he did not include this on the estimate. My thinking is that a 2004 non abs with 43k miles isnt worth much more than that.

Although the front of the bike is basically mashed to one side the actual damage to the skin is minimal. Almost every piece of plastic is scuffed but only a couple broken pieces. So on the one hand I could take the claim and rebuild or 5300 makes a good down payment for a new bike. If they total the bike can i take my farkels off? I have a few items like the sliders, techmount and AK-20 fork cartridges that are definately worth taking and reusing on a new FJR or selling if I go with a different bike.

Also has anyone bought their totaled bike and parted it out? is that just a pain in the ass?

Here's what I experienced with my totaled '04.

Repair estimate was over $13k, bluebook was $5800. Due to my physical condition, I did not buy it back (would have been $580 plus getting it from Wythesville, VA to Michigan). The insurance did let me pull farkles off the bike with some conditions.

Actually, Ingo was kind enough to spend the better part of a day pulling stuff of the bike. The only real condition was the seat; it had to have a seat on it because there was one on it when it hit the dealership for estimates. I wanted the Sargent seat to pass on; So we worked out an exchange and someone got a slightly used Sargent seat for the cost of postage. Ingo pulled off the heat-trollers, bluesea, handlebar risers, radar mounting plate, ram mount, tech mount, home made floor boards and mailed them to me.

-wr

Well the insurance adjuster was here today and went through the bike. though it didnt look all that bad the final tally was $5300 with labor. He said he also had concerns about the forks being right though he did not include this on the estimate. My thinking is that a 2004 non abs with 43k miles isnt worth much more than that.
Although the front of the bike is basically mashed to one side the actual damage to the skin is minimal. Almost every piece of plastic is scuffed but only a couple broken pieces. So on the one hand I could take the claim and rebuild or 5300 makes a good down payment for a new bike. If they total the bike can i take my farkels off? I have a few items like the sliders, techmount and AK-20 fork cartridges that are definately worth taking and reusing on a new FJR or selling if I go with a different bike.

Also has anyone bought their totaled bike and parted it out? is that just a pain in the ass?

Kevin, did he pull the plastic to examine the frame? If he's concerned the forks might be off, that's an indicator that there's more severe damage under the skin.

Kevin, did he pull the plastic to examine the frame? If he's concerned the forks might be off, that's an indicator that there's more severe damage under the skin.
No I offered to pull the skin and he said he didnt need to. By the way should I be looking over the list of parts from the adjuster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear your losing the 04fjr.

Not to be Vulturistic??

If you do decide to get a new bike and not opt for the 04' by cota95, I would gladly take the sliders off your hands, if they are the 'non-cutting-fit' version..

Sorry to hear your losing the 04fjr.Not to be Vulturistic??

If you do decide to get a new bike and not opt for the 04' by cota95, I would gladly take the sliders off your hands, if they are the 'non-cutting-fit' version..
Hey I will definately keep that in mind. They are the no cut "Motivations" very nice looking!