6th gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last bike was an 83 Goldwing. Didn't like the radiator heat in the summer. Shaft drive. 4000 rpm at 70 MPH.

All I did was change bodywork and get better brakes and handeling. :yahoo:

Strange, mine smoooooths right out at around eighty five hundred rpms in 5th gear. All I hear is a hum and a bit of wind :ph34r:

I would like if they put a 5th gear indicator light on the earlier models. My Royal Star had that. Of course one knew when they were in 5th gear, because that was a double overdrive gear. Absolutely no gittup or go. Of course, if you really don't like the vibes, you might be able to swap the punkin out for an early Royal Star one. I swapped my punkin out for a VMAX rear end and the change was very significant. Many VMAX riders were using the Royal Star punkins and vice versa...

End of Never-Ending Recurring post :lol:

I have always thought there should be a 6th or overdrive gear for hi-speed cruising. I've always gotten flamed here for that opinion. <_< Greg

radman post Nov 17 2006, 11:41 PM Post #7The dealer didn't give you the bag liners OR top gear, did he? You gotta watch those pricks, lemme tell ya. Look under the seat, or in the bag with the spare lockset and those cute little hole covers. Gotta be in there somewhere... wink.gif
There's also a "powerband" in that bag, maybe two? :blink: ;)
UweRoss Posted Nov 18 2006, 02:56 PM<snip> My other bike (DL1000 V-Strom) has this. But on that bike with stock sprockets, it forces a lot of downshifts, and you don't really want to use 6th below an indicated 75 mph. In fact, a popular mod on that bike is to go with a 2-tooth bigger rear sprocket, or a 1-tooth smaller front in order to make 6th gear more usable. Some people have done both.....Compared to a lot of other bikes, the FJR gets pretty respectable mileage. ....as good or better mileage on my FJR as I do on my V-Strom, despite the V-Strom having a very tall 6th, and an efficient chain drive (no 90-degree turns).
UweRoss (above) makes a telling point -- and one that illustrates that Yamaha, pretty much, got it right. Their engineers know proper gearing -- you think? :huh:
markjenn Posted Nov 18 2006, 05:46 PM <snip>... the bike does just fine with the five-speed and the revs in 5th are quite reasonable, especially with the 06. It's mostly a matter of perception that the motor sounds too busy and I think most of the folks wanting lower revs are coming from cruiser backgrounds. If you lowered the revs further than the 06, I think the high-gear lethargy problem would become acute. Low revs are nice but at some point, you'll overgear it to the point that is becomes lifeless in top gear ....If the bike got a six-speed, I wouldn't want it geared any taller than the 06
Mark makes some salient points, too.My take -- I don't want a bike that I can't do the highway speed limit, comfortably, in top gear. And, the FJR fits that requirement quite well. Six-speed bikes often have the rider dropping down a gear for hi-speed passing, accelerating through hi-speed curves, etc. -- something just not necessary with the FJR. A slower turning engine has no inherent benefits (maybe not even as all-around efficient compared to one that revs more do do its job?).

Maybe?... a better (quieter) helmet; ear plugs; or, cover-up the tach.... :lol:

Once, at Daytona, I was replacing the tach cable on a friend's bike in the dealer's parking lot. A by-stander walked by and said, "I wouldn't do that if I were you." My friend asked why? He said, "All lookin' at that tach'll do -- is slow you down." :rolleyes:

btw, it's always RPM (revolution/s per minute) -- not RPMs :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always thought there should be a 6th or overdrive gear for hi-speed cruising. I've always gotten flamed here for that opinion. <_< Greg
+1

What if? ...less vibe, less wobble, more speed, less noise, whateva. :eek:

Just plain beggin' for it. They're lined up and waitin' to beat it out of ya. It's marked terra Bubb.

Hi everyone,Now I am sure I will receive a great deal of flame for this, and I probably am alone in this issue, but it seems to me the FJR could use a 6th gear. Going 55 is fine, but at...say....72 (which is not too fast at all), the RPMS are around the 5500 range, and the fuel economy suffers. I am not one of those who bought the bike to see how quickly I can kill myself, but just want a really good comfortable bike for 2-6 hour at a time trips, and while my bike has not been farkled yet (only 400 miles on it, had it a week) with items like cruise control, and the handlebar weights to keep the vibrations down, so maintaining this speed is not as comfy as 55, and since it is still breaking in, I am trying to stay below 4000 rpm for the first 600 miles and 5000 for the first 1000 miles. Just a thought, but I was wondering if anyone else had this thought?
I've had this thought with other bikes I've had, but not the FJR. The thing is damn near idling at 75 mph.

2003.........4000RPM.........70MPH

2005.........4000RPM.........70MPH

And the beat goes on and on and on........ :p

2006 AE..........4000rpm...........73.35mph(GPS GS)........75(speedometer)
What rpm do you get at 60mph............... :D

Less vibes for sure......that would be nice...... :)

i know this thread is dead, but I was thinking that instead of a 6th gear, which probably isn't going to happen... Maybe a taller fifth gear? Now I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know what it would take to A. come across someone that makes a gear B. tear the bike apart and install the gear or C. if the taller gear would even mesh right... Maybe someone more mechanical savy could explain more. I've heard of taller gears being put into cars for higher top speed. I also know that the FJR market is smaller than those markets, but what would it take?

i know this thread is dead, but I was thinking that instead of a 6th gear, which probably isn't going to happen... Maybe a taller fifth gear? Now I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know what it would take to A. come across someone that makes a gear B. tear the bike apart and install the gear or C. if the taller gear would even mesh right... Maybe someone more mechanical savy could explain more. I've heard of taller gears being put into cars for higher top speed. I also know that the FJR market is smaller than those markets, but what would it take?
You could take the punkin out of a 1996-1999 Royal Star and put it on the FJR. Nobody's done it that I know of, but we used to swap with VMaxes.

Other than that, I believe the 06/07 are geared higher than the 03-05 FJRs. Never could understand why anyone would want a 6th gear.

You could take the punkin out of a 1996-1999 Royal Star and put it on the FJR. Nobody's done it that I know of, but we used to swap with VMaxes.

Other than that, I believe the 06/07 are geared higher than the 03-05 FJRs. Never could understand why anyone would want a 6th gear.
Bob is correct. My 06 AE consistently runs at 73.5 mph by GPS at 4000 rpm in 5th gear. It has OEM tires on it. about the Royal Star pumpkin I am not sure it will interface with the drive shaft interface of the FJR. If it will, then it would be a great way to raise the gearing of th 03-05 FJR.

I've never gotten better than 45mpg either, cruising at the speed of traffic 65-75. I supposed I could get 50mpg if I rode at a constant 55-60 below the speed of traffic?
it's more a function of the fuel mix that's available in your area. I've gotten 52 mpg when riding 80+ bucking a strong cross wind. Heck, I got 38 mpg when running 85 mph into a reported 50 mph head wind the day before (NM). I usually don't do that well around the house because some wanker thought the fuel brew they chose would be better for us even though it burns more gallons per mile while doing it.

'Wanker' here.....

Taller 5th gear? It's a gear-set (drive and driven, mainshaft/countershaft) and it's about the last thing you take out of a m/c engine on disassembly and about the first thing you put back in. IOW -- kind of a big deal (assuming there was anything available?). Changing the rear drive (ring & pinion) would be much easier (but, that changes the overall gearing for all the trans. gears).

Taller gears in cars for more top speed: Maybe? at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Many vehicles are over-geared (won't pull near max revs/max power in top gear). Often it's done to pass EPA tests; sometimes for fuel economy; in the Gen II FJR: for quietness (so says Yamaha).

For those needing more gears: If you can find an early '80s European "Sachs" motorcycle -- they had 7-speed gearboxes..... :eek:

Latest posts