90 degree valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Bike Effects sells these and they seem like a good idea as its a pain in the butt accessing the valve to add air. My question is regarding installation? Am I to assume that these are best installed when you change tires? or do they just screw on?

Bike Effects sells these and they seem like a good idea as its a pain in the butt accessing the valve to add air. My question is regarding installation? Am I to assume that these are best installed when you change tires? or do they just screw on?
Yep, your instincts are right. The tire must be removed, or at least the bead broken, to install, so next tire change...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, you must take off the tire to install. Mine were a bit tuff to put on, they fit nice and tight. I love the access though. I have the silver ones and all has been good after 1,000 miles. I check my air more often now. :yahoo:

I put these on front and rear. Yes you need to brake the bead and its easier with the tire off.

IMO these are great on the front wheel, but the width of the rear wheel makes the regular stem easier to access. Again, IMO.

I put these on front and rear. Yes you need to brake the bead and its easier with the tire off.
IMO these are great on the front wheel, but the width of the rear wheel makes the regular stem easier to access. Again, IMO.
:blink: I couldn't get to my rear stock stem with out getting pissed...

Maybe you are using a right angle air chuck? I use a dual angle truck chuck with a rigid metal pipe/handle. Makes for a very easy check, mine has a built in guage. Bought it at Northern Tool. I find most truck stops have air chucks that work well with the right angle valve stems. :ph34r:

When you do the install, take time to de-burr the original stem hole in the rims. Mine were a little rough and could have damaged the gasket on installation.

IMO these are a nice addition and worth the price...especially on the front.

Good Luck

--G

I agree with the above said, install during a tire change and to the right of the bike. Mine have worked flawlessly, highly recommended.

Should have come stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just curious how these have held up for youguys.

Thanks in advance....

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just curious how these have held up for youguys.
Thanks in advance....
I've got a black set of the Ariete right angles on my 08 FJR and a blue set on my 04 ST1300. They have been great for at least 2-3 tire changes and seem to keep the air pressure longer and steadier than the OEM plugs did.

doctorj

IF you get the all metal ones they hold up great. Been through 3 sets of tires on them.

The ones from Bike Effects still look new. I've read that the caps can be cross threaded if you don't put them on straight. Mine have been fine after many pressure checks. Very tight going in and they haven't moved in the last 20K. I would buy another set from Jeff...

:yahoo:

I've been very happy with the set I bought from Jeff at Bike Effects. A couple years old now. No issues. Make tire pressure management so much easier.

I agree with the comment regarding a sharp edge on wheel valve stem hole edge. Take a minute or two to smoth the abrupt edge before installing the new valve stem.

I've had em since NAFO 08, much easier to maintain and or add air. As others have stated you will have to remove the tire. I think the recommended torque setting is 7 lbs. If you can get a wrench in there without removing the tire, that much easier to put the valve on!

Thanks in advance....
Mine have gone through several sets of tire changes. I even swapped the front stem to a new rim when times made it necessary to swap rims. Mechanic just put a dab of... maybe CRT or some sort of gasket maker to make a new seal on new rim. Worked awesome! I've got the metal type from Jeff @ Bike Effects.

Also put them on pointing to the brake lever side of your bike. This makes them easier to reach when the bike is on the side stand.
+1

I put my rear one on in the other direction for some damn reason that I can't recall (old age). I'm pretty sure I had a reason in mind at the time, but it was clearly faulty. You definitely want to point them valves to the right for easy access on the side stand. ;)

Also put them on pointing to the brake lever side of your bike. This makes them easier to reach when the bike is on the side stand.
+1

I put my rear one on in the other direction for some damn reason that I can't recall (old age). I'm pretty sure I had a reason in mind at the time, but it was clearly faulty. You definitely want to point them valves to the right for easy access on the side stand. ;)
well, maybe, but mine point to the left...away from the wall the bike is parked against/near in my single car garage

works for me just fine

:rolleyes: