A questions for those with "tickers"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
For those who had Gen 1 bikes that were tickers, were the repairs covered under warranty?

I think that mine has started to tick. It's not bad at idle, but when you get the RPMs up to about 2.5-3k it gets pretty loud, and then quiets down again above that. Just sounds like it really needs a valve job. Mine is a 2005 with 18.5k miles. I'm planning a 2.7k ride this summer and I'm thinking I should probably have it looked at prior to that run.

Nels,

Sorry to hear about this... I am almost sure iit is not a ticker but more than likely, a loose Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT).

One of the Tell Tail signs of a Ticker is Oil usage... you may want to check the Spark Plugs.

If it is a Ticker, Yamaha has done those repairs but it is not guaranteed they will... good faith type of thing.

Do a search for Cam Chain and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck with your fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was a ticker & displayed the same type of noise at a certain RPM. Mine was around 2300ish RPMs. My spark plugs showed no signs of any burning oil. As a matter of fact, I really didn't notice oil consumption at all... never having to add oil to the engine. Sure as hell, when they dropped the headers there was oil there. I suspected the bike was ticking very early on (around 9,000 miles) & didn't have it fixed until the bike had over 43ish thousand miles on it.

It was fixed under warranty as I was right at the end of my YES plan. It was a big hassle getting the dealer on my side, but once I had them going to bat for me, it was pretty easy.

I hear that they have fixed bikes out of warranty... but I'd expect somewhat of a battle b4 the calm. I'd think that it'll be all important to have your dealer on your side.

And a side note... your bike has pretty low mileage. I am WAY not a mechanic... but that seems low mileage for a bum cam chain... although there have been problems with them as low as 35ish thousand miles. I wouldn't discount it... & if it is the cam chain, have it fixed sooner than later.

Good luck.

Well, actually at some level that sounds like good news, as it appears it's covered and presumably an easier procedure to fix. I appreciate the quick response.

And I also forgot to say... wwhen I finally did have my bike fixed it was ticking its ass off pretty badly. Still did not blow oil... nor where the plugs oily in the slightest amount.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually heading out of town this coming weekend (driving), so I'm going to bring it in now and get it dealt with.

And I also forgot to say... wwhen I finally did have my bike fixed it was ticking its ass off pretty badly. Still did not blow oil... nor where the plugs oily in the slightest amount.
But there was oil when you dropped the headers? Mine ticks like a intermittent Swiss clock but there was no oil when I dropped the headers. I'm assuming it will start passing oil down the guides at some point but my experience suggests that oil is not 100% guide to ticking.

Well, I'm riding the bike over to the dealer in about 15 min. They'll have someone give it a listen and see if I'm hearing things or if it's something to worry about. I'll keep folks posted on what happens.

Of the two scenarios, the cam chain tensioner is by far the more nefarious. If there is any doubt that the chain may be the culprit have it looked at and the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) replaced. If neglected, bad things can happen that will cost you a metric butt load of money. The ticking, OTOH, will only slowly get worse sounding until you are burning a noticeable amount of oil through the valve guide seals. But, unlike the CCT, this will not cause a catastrophic engine failure and you can confidently ride more miles before a deferred repair.

But there was oil when you dropped the headers? Mine ticks like a intermittent Swiss clock but there was no oil when I dropped the headers. I'm assuming it will start passing oil down the guides at some point but my experience suggests that oil is not 100% guide to ticking.
Are you sure that your bike has premature valve guide wear? I do believe oil in that area is what Yamaha will use as the determining factor if you go to have it looked at. & they have decided that it is the determining factor... or at least it was a year & 1/2 ago.

If I am not mistaken, the injectors make some tapping/ticking noise. Are you sure that isn't it? The cam chain also makes a racket from what others have said... & that is definitely something that you'd want to tend to sooner than later if it was the cam chain making noise.

Well, I'm riding the bike over to the dealer in about 15 min. They'll have someone give it a listen and see if I'm hearing things or if it's something to worry about. I'll keep folks posted on what happens.
Nels, usually the noise can be most loudly heard on the left side of the engine. I finally got my dealer's attention by having him listen to an FJR with no issues and then listen to mine immediately afterwards.

Mine was far advanced enough that you could hear it at idle.

Are you sure that your bike has premature valve guide wear? I do believe oil in that area is what Yamaha will use as the determining factor if you go to have it looked at. & they have decided that it is the determining factor... or at least it was a year & 1/2 ago.
If I am not mistaken, the injectors make some tapping/ticking noise. Are you sure that isn't it? The cam chain also makes a racket from what others have said... & that is definitely something that you'd want to tend to sooner than later if it was the cam chain making noise.
As I detailed in the other ticking thread (I leave determining which one as an exercise for the reader), I'm certain mines a ticker. Doesn't bother me. I wear earplugs all the time. If/when it starts dribbling oil out of the exhaust or performance is reduced I'll do something about it.

I'll keep folks posted on what happens.
Please do. Mine is ticking in exactly the same rpm range as your's. It's not burning any oil however. I haven't dropped the header to check in there yet though. Yammi Canada is famous for its 'too bad, so sad' attitude when it comes to tickers though. If it turns out out to be a true ticker, I'll ride it till it gets bad then pull the head off myself and have it done.

Well, I brought it in and the mechanic took a listen.

He pretty much immediately labeled it a "ticker" and they are going to be tearing it down this week. The mechanic claimed that if it's the cam chain tensioner, you can hear it really loudly on the right side of the engine around where the no-cut frame sliders sit. As there wasn't a pronounced sound only on that side, he doubted it was the tensioner. The dealer wouldn't guarentee that it would be covered under warranty until Yamaha told them so, he stated this was the 6th one they had done (all others under warranty) and that they had a really great working relationship with the Yamaha rep, so didn't expect any issue.

The really sucky part is that the bike will likely be down for 3 week while it's being repaired. :(

I've read through a bit of the Warchild saga early on with tickers, but didn't really get a feel if there was a permanent solution or not. Does anyone have more info on that?

Nels,

Wow, I am surprised on the diagnosis...so far.

When this repair is done, they change out the Valves & Valve guides to the Updated versions. So far to my knowledge, this is the permanent solution.

Tell them you want to see the Bad Parts before they send them back in for diagnosis. Here is what it looks like apart"

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry271113

Good Luck on your repair(s).

I had a ticker fixed out of warranty and as soon as I see a post about another ticker I look to see where the guy is from so when you PEOPLE DON'T PUT DOWN where you're from and this is simply the best site there is for the FJR! you should be booted , plain and simple just outright booted so there is my stand and just what are you people hiding from---- wheeeeewww-ok I feel better now :rolleyes: --- you have a dealer that is on your side and we have to guess at that crap also---- message for other nice FJR folks, fill out just a little more info and it will help a lot- Damn I get on a roll sometimes --ok I'm done- back to your regular programing :ph34r:

....The dealer wouldn't guarentee that it would be covered under warranty until Yamaha told them so, he stated this was the 6th one they had done (all others under warranty) and that they had a really great working relationship with the Yamaha rep, so didn't expect any issue.
Yamaha Canada fixed my out-of-warranty ticking '03 at 35K km. I'll never know for sure whether it was due to "good faith" or Warchild's meticulous research which brought the problem out of the closet. I suspect the latter.

Kasey

Latest posts