Accident Reports related to 2nd Gear Recall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've been searching online for accident reports attributed to the problems that are to be fixed by the 2nd gear recall. Mostly because I'm curious as to how common transmissions are failing, how seriously they're failing, etc. But I haven't had any luck finding such.

Anyone have some links they'd care to share?

I was thinking about the same, but would not be surprised if the number of failures is small. The recall notice specifically mentions that it may fail under "high speed loads", which likely takes the majority of riders out of the picture. I am currently riding my 2016ES on a regular basis, but not under high speed or aggressively in any way.

What? I missed this!!

Seems I heard this before - Yamaha 2nd gear problem.... When did I, oh, yeah, I remember, my 1978 XS11 had 2nd gear issues. Upshift under load and eventually it would chunk away. Been a long time, IIRC there was a  shim on the wrong side of the gear? 

What is it this time?

Early Yamaha Venture's had second gear issues also. Some think it is caused in part because the trans has to go through neutral to engage second which makes for a longer throw. Lazy shifting can make it worse.

I do not mind admitting, I’ve put mine through the test on several occasions.  On track and off.

Roll on power wheelies and other foolishness.

I don’t think mine will become an issue but better safe than sorry.

Canadian FJR

I do not mind admitting, I’ve put mine through the test on several occasions.  On track and off.

Roll on power wheelies and other foolishness.

I don’t think mine will become an issue but better safe than sorry.

Canadian FJR
Don't forget some of the off road riding 

Thanx!

I may be missing the details, though: I looked at all three PDFs and they don’t reference accident reports directly. They imply the problem is similar to what caused accidents outside the US. So maybe it’s time to break out Google Translate 😀