Adding Running/Brake lights to a GIVI V46 monokey trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armand

Reaction score
So I looked at them and said there must be away to add some lights those reflectors. Yes you can go out and buy pre-made light bars but this whole thing cost me $19 and 6 hrs of time working on my bike. I like to tinker.Figured I'd buy eight(8)LED"s, make one on each side a running light and the other three of each side I'd hook into the brake circuit. So I went here and bought these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini_tubes.htm%23wired

I like these cause the last 8 inches of wire is flat film and the back of the LED's have adhesive. Makes installation easier. Dumcoff me bought the red colored and after they arrived said to self, why didn't you buy the clear, the lenses are red :rolleyes: Either will work.

Next I removed the lenses. There are two(2)screws holding them in. They are different length screws. Don't mix them up. The longer ones are installed by the lock, shorter to the rear. You'll puncture the lens if you reverse them <_<
DSC00384.jpg

As U can see there is a silver backing under the lens which I slit after after finding the spacing I liked. The LED at the bottom of the lens in the picture is the running lite. I wanted it on the side of the case figuring the factory lights of the bike take care of the rear. The other (3) LED's will become brake lights. Once U make the slit run the LED up and through the slit from the back, remove adhesive mask and attach LED. This is where the flat film wire end comes in handy cause it folds over nicely in the slit. On the back side of the silver backing I used masking tape to hold wire in place. Here's a closer shot:

DSC00383.jpg

I then used this as a guide and drilled holes in the plastic of the trunk and ran my wires to the inside.
DSC00378-1.jpg

Was going to use sticky pads and wire ties to hold they wires but I figured things would get caught on them and the summer heat would make the pads come lose so I just opted for black duct tape which is nice and flat.

DSC00377-1.jpg

Make a nice bend on both sides at the hinge.

DSC00379-1.jpg

This last picture is the bottom of the case and where I drilled through and the wires exit the case right in the center of the picture. From the outside this would be the back rest side.

DSC00380.jpg

Sorry have to go to work. Will post the rest on Wednesday 8/8/12, if not sooner. Safe riding all.

I did a similar modification a few years ago, the details of which can be found here..

Worked great for a couple of years, until Admore came out with their kit for the V46, which includes run, brake and turn signals, so I dismantled mine, and added theirs.

I like the added visibility that I get from having lights more in the line of sight of following cagers.