Adjustable Cowlings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
I was just dying to go for shorth ride this afternoon even though it was only 46 degrees (yes, I know that's not cold for many of you, but I'm in the People's Republic of Central Calif). I tried moving the adjustable cowlings to the "outer" position, and they did seem to better move the cold air away from my legs, allowing more of the warm engine air to be kept in the cockpit. Now, I'm not maintaining that I was ready to put away the jacket with the change, but I believe I will leave the cowlings in the "out" position as long as the frigid conditions continue (flame away frozen wankers). Once the spring thaw occurs, I'll go back to the standard position.

Ciao,

biknflyfisher

I adjusted my cowlings out to bring in some much needed warm air. I feel a little difference if the weather isin't too cold, but if it's cool out I don't notice much of a difference. I do however, notice that it gets really warm going through town in stop and go traffic.

Matt

I have ridden a good many miles in the cold and have never tried adjusting the cowls - silly me. Getting pretty cold here in NC this week so I decided to give them a try and see if they make a different. It would be nice if they do.

After digging a little, you'll find opposing opinions on this topic. Some think it helps, some think it doesn't.

I put them out for Winter, though it really doesn't really help much. At most, it deflects a little wind/spray off your legs. Warm gear is still required.

FWIW, I rode with a particularly noisy helmet last year, and noticed more turbulence around the neck, with the cowlings out.

Just a quick note on the "wings".

Opening and closing can result in the wing coming loose from its lower "hinge".

Like your saddlebag lock screws, pay attention to that connection when returning them to their closed position.

They have been known to "fly away" at FJR speed. :rolleyes:

interesting how different perspectives can be. 50 degrees is the temp I wait for to start riding to work again in the spring because it's the lowest temp I can be comfortable without overpants.

it's minus 5 for a high today. gotta wait a few more months.

Curious? Try this:

Extend one cowling, but leave the other side in. Go for a cold ride.

If one nut shrinks, you'll have definative proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notwithstanding that this thread is giong to NEPRT in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..., Yamaha's take on the whole airmanagement thing is side vents closed, engine-warmed air on rider. Side-vents open, engine-warmed air away from rider. Click: Yamaha FJR1300A/E Air Management

Personally, I've come to believe that it's really hard to tell the difference and may in fact be something that the marketing department came up with... :glare:

Notwithstanding that this thread is giong to NEPRT in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..., Yamaha's take on the whole airmanagement thing is side vents closed, engine-warmed air on rider. Side-vents open, engine-warmed air away from rider. Click: Yamaha FJR1300A/E Air Management
Personally, I've come to believe that it's really hard to tell the difference and may in fact be something that the marketing department came up with... :glare:
Maybe its just me, but that is not what the Yamaha site says. It says, "Allows warm air to be directed on or away from the rider, depending on outside temperature." It does not say if the fairing panels do this when open or closed. I do know my manual that came with my bike says that opening them up in cold weather is supposed to help keep the rider warm. I used them once, and I'll never waste the time again. I agree that those panels are marketing BS.

SockMonkey™ is correct. CLOSED vent for warmer air on rider (warmer air closer to legs)...OPEN vent for less warm air on rider (warmer air further away from legs)...below is pic from Yamaha website with their verbage pasted in orange.

airManagement_09.jpg

I had been commuting to work till it started snowing around here. Mornings were in the teens. I had one side "out" and the other "in" and I really couldn't tell a discernable difference.

Just a quick note on the "wings".Opening and closing can result in the wing coming loose from its lower "hinge"....

They have been known to "fly away" at FJR speed. :rolleyes:
When my right "wing" mysteriously disappeared on some northern Nevada highway (at FJR speed of course), I took it as a blessing. I always hated the way they block access to bolts on the fairing. Yes, I know how to remove them, just hated taking that extra step. I've since removed the left "wing" and am mulling over how I'm going to make the fairings look "clean." (Removing the bottom hinges, covering the screw holes, etc.) For now, I'm enjoying the easy access to the fairing bolts.

SockMonkey™ is correct. CLOSED vent for warmer air on rider (warmer air closer to legs)...OPEN vent for less warm air on rider (warmer air further away from legs)...below is pic from Yamaha website with their verbage pasted in orange.

airManagement_09.jpg

I read the same article last a few weeks ago and have been riding in 35C + temperature lately and found it to work well as desigined , out to deflect hot engine air away from the rider .

airManagement_09.jpg

I read the same article last a few weeks ago and have been riding in 35C + temperature lately and found it to work well as desigined , out to deflect hot engine air away from the rider .
Since its forecast to be about 12 deg F friday morning here around DC, seems like a good time to experiment. I've had them out for a while now. Its been a bit brisk the last couple days riding to work, so I'll give a try with them in. Not expecting much difference.

Latest posts