AE Adding a rear break on the left hand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makuna

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Having nerve damage to both my feet (with a loss of dexterity), the AE was the choice for me to allow me to ride on two wheels (ok, that and scooters). Since the clutch lever is not present, has anyone tried to add a rear brake lever for the left hand? I have seen some stunt bikes that put a small one there but seems like it should be an easy mount. Just don't know how easy to run the cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting farkle idea. I can imagine it *could* be done.

First, it wouldn't be a cable, but would need to be hydraulic.

My guess would be several hard parts would include retrofitting say a clutch mechanism from a conventional FJR including reservoir onto the AE. Could someone add all the clutch hardware with what is unique gear to the left AE hand? You're lucky because the FJR clutch is hydraulic...the same as the rear brake. Then you'd need a custom clutch line to run near the rear brake. Then you'd need some way to T into the rear brake line. Perhaps a scavenged front brake manifold from a Gen 1 ABS?

This concept would make it so both could work.

The other big hurdle I could see is the proportionalness of the two systems. Perhaps the clutch has too little or too much action compared to the rear brake.

Several kits are available here, and I'm pretty sure it is just what you are asking for.

You know, that would be a lethal combination -- an AE with a brake lever on the left -- for some unknowing bike thief. That'd be some kind of fun to watch.

:evilgrin:

Several kits are available here, and I'm pretty sure it is just what you are asking for.
Can this system bypass the front brake in a linked brake setup while retaining linked front and rear with the foot peddle? Could be a good deal for trail braking while still retaining the ability for linked brakes.

Why use the rear brake at all.....???

They are linked... I use my rear brake almost never..... honestly..

I would practice technique with the front brake.. Since I assume with nerve/foot issues you use the paddle shifter... dont know if one would get in the way of the other??

Interesting... I would be interested in the outcome

Why use the rear brake at all.....???
They are linked... I use my rear brake almost never..... honestly..

I would practice technique with the front brake.. Since I assume with nerve/foot issues you use the paddle shifter... dont know if one would get in the way of the other??

Interesting... I would be interested in the outcome
I'm told the brake-linking makes the system hard to fully bleed. Don't know if that's true, but it's something to consider before adding brake lines.

<snip>Having nerve damage to both my feet (with a loss of dexterity), the AE was the choice for me to allow me to ride on two wheels ...has anyone tried to add a rear brake lever for the left hand? I have seen some stunt bikes that put a small one there but seems like it should be an easy mount.
Australian 500cc Motorcycle Grand Prix World Champion Mick Doohan ( I think?...., maybe Wayne Gardner, too?) had a left hand rear brake lever on their Rothmans Honda race bike.

Due to similar issues....

I read that it was a pretty effective modification.