AE Cornering Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pace

Yamaha spec for the throttle cable free play is more than many care for. When I first got the FJR it made a big improvement in my smoothness when I took most of the play out.

If this is your first EFI bike, throttle management does take some time to get used to. Carb'd bikes are much softer at the throttle. (more forgiving to minor changes)

it is an opinion!!! More chance to make a mistake with a clutch to squeeze than a quick forefinger or thumb.

Yep. Opinion.

But here's a fact...

A rider on an A-model can do something in a corner an AE rider can never do.......

Coast through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, I don't know.

I took most of the throttle play out and went to big church parking lot to practice some turns, most in 2nd and some in 3rd. I came from the ST1300 so EFI and throttle 'lurch' (excellent term, thank you) aren't new to me. I had to do the same wrist control measures then and while this is a different bike it just seems to lurch more than I'd like when throttling out of a turn. I'm gonna pop for a PCIII and see what happens (might help/can't hurt) and continue to practice smooth throttle twists. I really like the FJR and other than this little complaint, which in full disclosure still may be the rider, it is a very enjoyable experience. Definitely a plus over the ST. The FJR just feels more engineered than the ST.

Again, thank you to all who've replied. Your help is what a forum is about. Thanks!

Dago

When making shifts, up or down, don't roll the throttle off so much. You'll find just a very slight dip, or no dip, to the throttle is all that is nessasary. If going into a turn to hot, just flick the finger for a down shift and the clutch will act like a slipper clutch and not chirp the tire. If under full power out of a turn, and shift up, again it will slip the clutch. In this case if you dip the throttle just a tad, the clutch will lock up.

As you get more use to "Rolling" the throttle, you'll find it's a slick shifting unit.

Fred

it is an opinion!!! More chance to make a mistake with a clutch to squeeze than a quick forefinger or thumb.

Yep. Opinion.

But here's a fact...

A rider on an A-model can do something in a corner an AE rider can never do.......

Coast through it.
And just when would you want to coast through a corner. I am not familiar with these advance cornering techniques LOL

Mmmm, I don't know.
I took most of the throttle play out and went to big church parking lot to practice some turns, most in 2nd and some in 3rd. I came from the ST1300 so EFI and throttle 'lurch' (excellent term, thank you) aren't new to me. I had to do the same wrist control measures then and while this is a different bike it just seems to lurch more than I'd like when throttling out of a turn. I'm gonna pop for a PCIII and see what happens (might help/can't hurt) and continue to practice smooth throttle twists. I really like the FJR and other than this little complaint, which in full disclosure still may be the rider, it is a very enjoyable experience. Definitely a plus over the ST. The FJR just feels more engineered than the ST.

Again, thank you to all who've replied. Your help is what a forum is about. Thanks!

Dago
One more thing to throw in the mix: Was the ECU recall done on your bike, and when was it done? It seems that the later ECU upgrades (like from 2008 and later) showing somewhat reduced throttle "lurch" due to different programming.

Yep. Opinion.

But here's a fact...

Coast through it.
And just when would you want to coast through a corner. I am not familiar with these advance cornering techniques LOL
A downhill switchback comes to mind right off the bat!

Damn clutchless n00bs! :rolleyes: 'bout what I'd expect from a Floh-Uh-Duh Crackuh!

Yeah a Florida cracker that has ridden Scotland, the Alps, Sierras, Arizona 89A, the Dragon. Who in their right mind would want to ride downhill on a switchback coasting. No use of engine compression, no throttle on to straighten the bike up if necessary. What a clown!

Mmmm, I don't know.

Dago
One more thing to throw in the mix: Was the ECU recall done on your bike, and when was it done? It seems that the later ECU upgrades (like from 2008 and later) showing somewhat reduced throttle "lurch" due to different programming.
You may be onto something. Although experience with the AE cleared up my issues with throttle abruptness out of corners, I do seem to remember an improvement after the ECU change was done.

This post has great potential to devolve into the FJR version of the Hundred Years War - the century long "A vs AE" debate.

This post has great potential to devolve into the FJR version of the Hundred Years War - the century long "A vs AE" debate.
Nahhhhh......

The true conflict is the Superior Gen I vs Porky Slow Gen II mismatch. You AE guys are just the ones who empty the chamberpots after the discussion is over. The AE is now simply an afterthought. Yamaha proved that by dropping the FJR Lace Doily version this year. Relegated to the GTS1000 barn.

:assassin:

Who gives a toss? You ride yours old one and I'll ride my slick AE. By the way on the downhill switchbacks I could click the thumb a couple of times and ride in neutral. Provided I was dumb enough to do that. Where you ridding all those switchbacks in Winter Haven Florida with the clutch in?

The only important opinion of my bike is my own. Pi++ing on other riders choices is tasteless.

just_say_no_to_GenII-1.jpg

Mmmm, I don't know.

Dago
Yep go right ahead and get the PCIII, the throttle lurch on the 06 is a dog.

The G2 tube helps a little but you do need to remove most (not all) the cable slack otherwise the smaller radius section of the tube is already past by the time the cable is pulling at the throttle body.

Get the PCIII, load the map provided for the 06 model and you will forget about the problem. After a few rides you will even stop gritting your teeth through the twisties.

Cheers,

nameless

I just had the ECU done 2 weeks ago. I have noticed a improvement. Would be nice though if Yamaha had address the issue directly and fixed it. Instead we get to spend lots of money and try (ie. experiment with our lives) to fix it ourselves.

One way is to feather the rear brake. This controls the rear wheel torque as you come on the throttle. As others have suggested, practice it in a straight line first to get the feel.

This is how I control my AE in slow going just the same as I would with a clutched bike .

Mine07 has also had the ECU changed to fix 'altitude sickness' and had the fuel mixture enriched to suit the Two Bros Pipes. Now it rides like a new FJR should without the snatchy throttle at low speed. My pillion immediately notice the difference after the ECU had been swapped.

The lurching isn't an AE problem - A's have it too. Mostly alleviated with a PC3, to the point where you might keep the bike. Just try not to test ride something without the lurch cuz it will remind you how much effort you spend on not upsetting the bike with the throttle.

AE is better than A in corners if used properly.
???

??? it is an opinion!!! More chance to make a mistake with a clutch to squeeze than a quick forefinger or thumb.
Oh, I apologize. The post you made regarding the superior cornering abilities of the AE looked a lot like a fact, and I was hoping for some supporting documentation. I now recognize it as an opinion.

BTW, please do not mistake anything I post here for pissing on anyone's choice of ride. Perhaps you can forgive RH? He is to Gen II's what Limbaugh and O'Reilly are to anything near Liberal.

Wow, Limbaugh, O'Reilly and "radio howie" in one breath!! He gives the serious riding students a good laugh.