AE Long-term Experiences

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ealudewig

Reaction score
I'm looking to change from my current '05 FJR to a newer one with the AE "clutchless" system. What are people's long-term experiences with the reliability/maintenance issues with the AE model? (I'm considering the AE due to medical issues that are limiting my left foot flexibility.) Seems like folks that have the AE get used to the "paddle shifter" pretty quickly. Any other things I should be looking out for in the change to the next generation FJR would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to change from my current '05 FJR to a newer one with the AE "clutchless" system. What are people's long-term experiences with the reliability/maintenance issues with the AE model? (I'm considering the AE due to medical issues that are limiting my left foot flexibility.) Seems like folks that have the AE get used to the "paddle shifter" pretty quickly. Any other things I should be looking out for in the change to the next generation FJR would be greatly appreciated.
Well ealudewig, I have an 08AE and have ridden it 24,000 miles in about two years. First off, it does have a clutch...just not that pesky clutch lever. Many people mistakedly call it an automatic also, which of course, it is not. I'm in a similar situation as you in that I have left foot flexibilty issues. As a matter of fact, I'm an amputee, below the knee, left side, and the AE model, I feel, was designed just for me. I have had no issues with reliabilty or maintenance on this feature of the bike. I did have a warranty repair on the fork seals on three separate occassions and the last fix (they replaced the entire fork) seems to have held. The paddle shifters are very easy to get used to and I, myself, removed the foot shifter completely. Like anything else, you'll get used to the changes you must make in normal motorcycling habits. For example: DO NOT "BLIP" THE THROTTLE WHEN YOU'RE AT A RED LIGHT...MAKE SURE THE LITTLE GREEN LIGHT ON THE LEFT HANDLEBAR IS LIT BEFORE PULLING AWAY IN A PARKING LOT...MAKE SURE YOU DOWNSHIFT WHEN COMING TO A STOP...ETC...simple stuff and you will get used to it. Now, as soon as my dealer gets the parts to fix this "grounding" issue I'll be ready to ride once again. Hope these remarks help with your desicion...bigjimbiker :rolleyes:

out of many many AE's here, and many many who love them after they got them (lots bought them on faith cause the price was close to cost and love/like them very much...Ma Yammy made less than the A's, but conventional riders stayed away in droves)

that said, there was only one nitemare experience described here that was not resolved and they guy went to a BMW? as I remember

I could find that thread, but it is so much the exception and every mass produced machine gets a lemon on and occassional Monday production cause everyone working has a hangover

I'm on my second one. I loved my 06 but the blow-out deals were just to good to pass up so I moved to my 08. I've put about 80k combined miles on the AEs, with no issues. My only regret is that unless Yamaha brings it back, I've apparently bought my last new one.

The paddle shift took me about half a mile to get comfortable with and the slow speed parking lot manuevers another 10-15 minutes to get dialed in. The main difference to me was in 08 they fixed the throttle sensitivity, (which many have taken issue with, AE or standard shift) if you get an earlier one you may want to consider a G2 throttle tube if the previous owner hasn't already done that. As with anything it's different strokes for different folks but I absolutely love the 'lectric shift. I can make shifts feel like they did on my manual clutch FJRs or I can make them virtually seamless. It's my choice depending on my mood. I also ride 3 other standard clutch bikes regularily, so far I have never "forgotten" which type of clutch I'm dealing with.

The only downside to me are that there is no "bump" starting the AE. If you are dead (electrically speaking) you will be looking for jumper cables. Most of the other stuff you need to get used to has already been mentioned and like the anything else, any learning curve will be an individual thing. Good luck on your decision. I haven't felt I've given up anything by chosing to ride an AE.

I also ride 3 other standard clutch bikes regularily, so far I have never "forgotten" which type of clutch I'm dealing with.
I've been curious about how that would go over. Good to hear.

I purchased a YES warranty for my 08 AE. Knowing "if" something goes wrong $390 will be good, cheap insurance against the technology. At this point, I fully expect that warranty will never be called in on.

I'm on my second. I got an '06 when they first came out, I got a '10 when Yamaha appeared to be dropping the AS (as it's known this side of the pond) from 2011. It'll be my last bike, I wanted as new as possible.

Problems with the first? One. A rogue error, SH__35 error. I wrote it up here. Never resolved, but it went away, and it didn't stop the bike running at all.

And I had a dry clutch, but that is not YCCS specific, and relatively easily resolved.

I'd done just under 25000 miles with no other reliability issues.

I need the AS/AE, the little finger on my left hand gives me agony if I have to use a clutch for more than the odd gear-change. Any heavy traffic and it's done for, YCCS saved my motorcycling career.

Downsides? Slow speed manoeuvres need a different technique than a conventional, and I agree with bigjimbiker about blipping the throttle and the green light (I made a gismo that, amongst other things, selects the hand gearchange whenever the ignition is turned on).

Advantages include a built-in launch control. Just open the throttle, the bike accelerates. How much? Simply depends on how far you wind the throttle, but anyone can achieve a 4 second 0-60 time every time (road surface permitting). Ok, not quite as quick as a conventional, the computer won't let the engine rev so high as the clutch engages as a human might. Still VERY impressive, and gives a lot of confidence when squirting into a traffic stream (but make sure your tyres are warmed up!).

Also it is virtually impossible to stall. You can (if you really want) move from rest in 5th gear. Won't accelerate very quickly, but there is no risk of the engine stopping. Has an advantage when you've forgotten to get all the way down the 'box, and the lights go green, a 2nd gear start is certainly no embarrassment. And if you find you do need to change down, just flip the paddle, it will clunk into the lower gear and just accelerate, no question of fluffing the gear change.

Having had the '06 and the '10, I would recommend going for an '08 or later, the more conventional throttle cam I find much easier at low speeds or coming out of corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly 50k on mine and zero maintenance problems. The electric clutch has never even hiccuped or let me down. Impossible to stall it (I guess I could if I really worked at it by why?).

+1 ot the G2 throttle tube if you get an '06/07, made all the difference on mine.

Slow speed action is a no brainer once you figure it out.

You won't be disappointed

I echo all the above the throttle tube for me was a must along with a throttle spring unwind (1 turn). The throttle is perfect for me now that I have gotten used to it not snapping back. I like that is a little slower to come back and I am used to twisting it up if I need to get out of throttle immediately, otherwise it is almost like a slow cruise control (slowly coming out of throttle.)

I never really had any slow speed maneuver issues with the bike. I found the AE to just "fit" with the way I suppose I always rode. Couple that with just how well put together and balanced a bike this big is and I was in love from the first mile. I am sad to hear no more AEs in my future (new ones) and hope Yammy brings them back in the coming years (yes I have read how they are available elsewhere - not helpful in California!)

65K on my 07AE and I only have one small complaint-I have now worn through the left forefinger on two pairs of gloves, caused by using the paddle shifter.

Mechanically, the bike has been flawless, and it was very quick and painless getting used to not having a clutch lever..

I did purchase the YES warranty, but have not had occasion to use it.

90K miles on my '06 and the only thing to remember is that the system is sensative to the idle speed. You should have the idle set between 900-1100 rpm or you will get a fault displayed on the screen. Easy to fix with the idle set screw on the right side of the engine.

Pretty much agree with above comments... in my case it took me a while to 'calibrate' my shift-accelerating timing and now is very smooth.

I love it and would not doubt in getting another one.

that said, there was only one nitemare experience described here that was not resolved and they guy went to a BMW? as I remember
Two that I know of. Highlander bought another A model after his AE sharted the bed.
60 days in the shop and still counting.............. They flew up an expert from Cypress last week..............No luck........latest idea is to replace the full wiring harness.......to be continued......... :blink:

Meanwhile I'm happily tooling around on my "new" 08 :)

There are many riders here giving you good input. I cannot use my left foot to shift so the AE has really been a real life saver for me. I have had 3 AE bikes one 06 & 2 08's and have ridden them over 85,000 touble free miles. I did use the Y.E.S. warranty but have not had any issues. It does take time to get use to but if, as I do, you cannot use your left foot you will adapt be very happy you have the bike. If you search this site you will find many useful ideas to help you get use to the shifting. Parking lot speed as been my biggest issue. I have found it best to just leave it in 2nd gear it is a lot easier to control. A clutch bike is quicker because the computer on the AE slips the clutch. The people who have the physical need for this bike will be greatful for it. Yamaha stopped producing the AE so I bought a 2nd one for insurance to keep riding.

Just.don't go to lunch and leave the key on. Jumper cables can be useful, too.
I got bit in the Ass with that one going into Sonny's Ribs for lunch one day. It was close to the house and my buddy was there to save the day in 15 minutes. :D

Bought a mini jumper cable made for motorcycles 15 minutes later! I won't leave home without it now! :)

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have just picked up a 2007 AE with 5,000 miles on it. The first 50 mile ride convinced me it was definately the right decision (although my wife won't be happy until the 2005 is out of the garage and gone to a new home). Cerulean Silver is classy, but not as nice as the Royal Blue of the 2005 IMHO. Already added frame sliders, switched over the peg lowering brackets, modified the Bakup drivers backrest to fit and adjusted the seat & handlebars to fit. "Full sized" windshield is on order. G2 grip will be ordered as soon as the 2005 sells.

Happy Trails!