Aerostich

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapeApe

Reaction score
I am a soon-to-be new FJR owner and am considering a new Roadcrafter suit. I live in FL were it's hot more often than not and am curious as to how hot this suit is in everday riding. Are there any drawbacks / advantages to this suit vs textile jackets and jeans? Just would like some input from 'Stich owners before plunking 8 large on gear. Thanks.

I'm not so sure I would recommend it for Florida riding. Here in Ohio, it's great. But when the weather turns 90 temp and humidity in the summer, I'm sweating my nads off--forced to stuff ice in the pockets and keep my t-shirt wet for evaporative cooling. Most of the year it's perfect, but that is 40-75 degrees with lower humidity.

Protection and functionality wise, they are hard to beat. But, they do not vent as well as most, if not all, summer oriented riding gear does.

Personally I would look into vented gear instead for Florida riding.

Damn, it's hot down there!!!

In the heat of summer in FL, maybe even the warmer parts of spring and fall too, it will suck. They are not cool suits.

When your skidding down the pavement on your ass it will be the most beautiful suit in the world. Then it will be very cool!

I'm a huge Aerostich fan but in Florida, I'd be looking at some other options, I might end up back with the Roadcrafter but I'd look around.

It all depends on how much you value your skin. I live in Jacksonville, so I know about hot weather. I also don't go anywhere without my Aerostich duds on. I go with the Darien two-piece set-up and allways wear the coat.....will switch between pants, all of which have armour. Having been down once, I ain't getting on that horse without all the protective gear I can put on. Jeans and such don't cut the mustard when you're sliding down the asphalt.

I have quite a few friends that have the aerostich, preforated leathers and mesh. Personally, I prefer the firstgear
front_300h.jpg

During hot weather, just a pair of short beneath the pants work fine, and the same material for the jackets are just as vented and ce protected. In addition, I use a joe rocket Sahara vest. Which you soak in water before you wear it, and it really keeps you cooler for hours. Many guys here at the track, use it under the vented leathers, and it works just as effective.

https://pages.infinit.net/mcrides/product_e...cket/sahara.htm
sahara2.jpg

Hey ScrapeApe....

I wish I could join you. I've got to go to Atlanta to spec out my new Titan sport plane. Enjoy your new ride. Say hello to Ron for me...he's a good friend of mine.

Just like a lot of things in life trying to ride comfortable in heat can be a compromise. I live in Jacksonville, Florida too and I have leather jacket for cooler than 70 degree days, but I just recently purchased a Frank Thomas Mesh Jacket with CE Armor in shoulders and elbows. It has foam back padding. I wear it for over 70 degree days, which is a lot of the time down here. It is cool when moving. I like the Sahara vest option and I will also start exploring that as a possibility.

Central Texas and a Goldwing fairing sent me on an extended get-cooler hunt. The soaker vests work if the humidity is reasonably low...hardly ever here, certainly never in Florida. I have some crazy vests with freezable inserts that keep me cool for a couple of hours, then they have to be refrozen, which takes about 20 minutes in slushy icewater. 600 miles in August in Texas made me a believer in them. They're kind of expensive. They're a very attractive Wal-Mart Greeter Blue, in case you need to moonlight a little. You can google "phase change cool vest" and get a variety of suppliers.

I bought mine from these nice people: https://www.ridecool.com/index.htm

The vests actually work better under solid material, as wind warms them faster.

I mean, they stay cool longer under solid material.

Most of the time I leave the vests at home and just wear my Rukka suit. Mesh, all-CE armored, Cordura in the necessary areas, has a goretex removable liner for jacket (jacket has inflatable pockets for warmth...actually work) and pants, even has a ventilated butt area...no monkey butt. I like the suit, wear it from temps in the 40s to over 100. Over 100 I'm hot as hell. Heck, over 88 I'm hot as hell on the Goldwing. Their armor is an innovative open design that really helps when the temps are high, especially the back protector.

If I'd found Olympia mesh wear before I bought the Rukka, I probably would've bought it instead...same quality, Chinese produced, thus much less expensive. Rukka is made in Finland.

I just bought the CE armor sold by New Enough (GP hard shell over foam version) to upgrade my JR Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket and pants. Lots of bucks, but looks like good stuff. I too agonize over wearing the 'Stitch on days that I can stand it and the JR Mesh ("now with extra protection, whiter, brighter too!"). It's getting to be more "meshy" weather in Texas now.

Just started to break in my new Cortech GX Sport, and it fits great! Armor doesn't move around, which means that it will work like it's supposed to. Liner is easy to install/remove. The vents work well - IA spring day, sunny, 70s, but no unwanted air leaks in. Little snug in forarms, but there is removeable armor there, too! Not at all uncomfortable. Looks like the Cortech folks are getting their sizing figured out. Very comfortable, looks good(so sayeth the wife), and I might have some rain testing by tonight.

I visited the Aerostitch place in Duluth last summer, and didn't think I could pony up the money for a Roadcrafter at the time. I've reconsidered, and will be heading up there next spring to make sure it fits right the first time, and get the 10% discount for buying on site. It will be an investment.

I visited the Aerostitch place in Duluth last summer, and didn't think I could pony up the money for a Roadcrafter at the time. I've reconsidered, and will be heading up there next spring to make sure it fits right the first time, and get the 10% discount for buying on site. It will be an investment.
Geezer, you will not regret this decision.

Just started to break in my new Cortech GX Sport, and it fits great! Armor doesn't move around, which means that it will work like it's supposed to. Liner is easy to install/remove. The vents work well - IA spring day, sunny, 70s, but no unwanted air leaks in. Little snug in forarms, but there is removeable armor there, too! Not at all uncomfortable. Looks like the Cortech folks are getting their sizing figured out. Very comfortable, looks good(so sayeth the wife), and I might have some rain testing by tonight.
Yuppers. Mine comes out to less than $67/year... so far.

I've had a one piece Roadcrafter for 7 years and wouldn't ride in anything else. It's cool enough in 90 plus temps and with a bit of layering warm enough for 40 degree days too. Don't need a rain suit, in fact I gave mine away, has tons of pockets and the armour just gives me a secure feeling.

It comes with and Owners Manual with facts on typical repair costs based on fall off speeds.

The zipper pull broke on mine and a phone call was all it took for them to send me a replacement free. In the catalogue its something like $11.00 At the time mine was about 6 years old. That's good customer service.

I've been to their store in Duluth and it's not much to look at but the people are great.

It's Colbalt Blue but unfortunately it's quite faded so it doesn't match the new 06. Oh well, like battle scars

If I had and 04 I would look just like the Yamaha site pics.

Old Axe