Aftermarket Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the remote resevoir / hydralic preload adjuster Wilbers on the back and a GP Suspensions modified forks up front of my 06 AE. I was going to put an Ohlins on the back but at the time there was no listing from Ohlins for the bike and the Wilbers was the only one that had a hydralic preload that would allow me to maintain ride height easily when going "bareback" to fully loaded for trips.

This year was an exceptional year for mileage with the trips to CFR, WCR (across to Vancouver Island) & NAFO probably totalling 30,000 km for the season. I'm normally in the 10000 - 20000 range. My service plan is to change fork oil every season since it is so easy to do and it needs it and then pull the suspension (front & rear) every two years and send it back to GP suspensions for complete service.

The Gen 2 will need the bushings done more often the Gen 1 but I think for the average rider every two years for a complete service would be reasonable.

NC Rick gave us an excellent post as to the why and there is nothing I could add in that regard. It's just such a pain to completely remove my rear shock due to the need to loosen the shifting solenoid to get clearance to get the remote resevoir out on my paddle shifter.

GP suspensions normally take 5 hours tops to completely service an FJR if you do the "ride in" service. Mine was the AE from hell and was in the GP Suspensions shop for 9 hours.

In fairness to the gang at GP mine was the first AE they had seen with the "full race" Wilbers and it was a bit of an experiment to figure out how to remove the shock & resevoir. We thought we might have to remove the swingarm to get the resevoir out but then figured out that loosening the shifting solenoid and some clamps for some hoses gave us enough clearance. Next time I will be pulling the suspension off myself and ship the forks and shock to them.
I've had a pretty good riding year as well with (so far) 32,000 km on the FJR and 5,000 km on another bike. I have no idea where I could get the shock serviced locally and am reluctant to ship it away. Just one of those things where I prefer to service it myself if it is within my skill set; assuming I'm not limited by the lack of special tools. I just bought the FJR (used) this year and it came with the aftermarket suspension. With my typical riding season, I think the complete suspension service package should be carried out on an annual basis.

Ross

If I recall correctly, back in 2005 Warchild suggested dumping the fork fluid at 8000 miles. I did that with my '05 and my '08, and am glad I did after seeing the discolored mess that came out. The second change on the '05 was much cleaner, as the break-in and machining debris was gone. I think getting that first fork change in at that mileage should greatly extend the rebuild interval.

Last edited by a moderator:
all the aftermarket need rebuilds after some number of miles so pick one.

All of them will be far superior to stock - so glad I put the Wilburs suspension on the '05 years ago.

I have had the rear shock refreshed twice now and both times have been glad I did.