Airhawk or gel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlhickey

Reaction score
I'm needing more padding on my seat for long rides. In the twisties I don't notice a thing. On a 500 mile day my buns remind me they want more comfort. Any suggestions for supplementing a 2007 Gen II stock seat?

My pillion rode on BeemerDon's bike with a gel insert in the passenger seat and then wanted her stock seat loaded with an insert too. A local car interior company (Superior Interiors, Hooksett, NH) did a great job of retooling the seat. It was around $175. Then she added an Airhawk for $90. Then to try and make it better a person could cheap out and buy a used custom seat that's built for somebody that isn't shaped like you. Then you can buy an new inexpensive custom seat and discover that sometimes inexpensive is also cheap. And finally, you buy a Russell and it's now a done deal. You will have already paid $600 for all the experimenting and then another $515 for the Russell which is the final solution.

A simple and effective solution is this : beadrider.com

If you need to upgrade to a better seat, this in an inexpensive option which can make you 500 mile rides easier without dishing out too much cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm needing more padding on my seat for long rides. In the twisties I don't notice a thing. On a 500 mile day my buns remind me they want more comfort. Any suggestions for supplementing a 2007 Gen II stock seat?
If you are not planning to do a lot of LD riding, go with an AirHawk. Depending on the girth of your posterior, you may be good with the pylon AirHawk. I am 145lbs 5'10" and 31" inseam. I have been using the pylon AirHawk on three FJR's and find it very comfortable. I have done many 500-600 mile days with no saddle burn. Just make sure you have it properly inflated.

Iggy is right. Get the Russell and be done with it. Tried the Airhawk. I use it on the tractor seat now, so I'm getting my money's worth. The Russell works for us.

1st Russell Daylong

2nd Airhawk

3rd Gel seat.

I have tried them all and the Russell is the only seat solution that works for me.

The others might work for you but it could be money wasted.

Dont waste the extra $$ on a Russell, have Seth Laam fix you up for 1/2 the money.

I tried the Airhawk on my FJR, it didn't work for me. May be my big ass and the highly crowned stock seat.

I had a Gel pad in my previous bike seat. It worked well, much wider seat which was dished out to match my ass when the Gel Pad was installed. Biggest problem with a Gel Pad is heat soak, you park your bike in the sun with the seat uncovered and you will roast your balls and your tush when you get back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one solution you can probably rule out is Gel.

AirHawk, Bead Rider ... both offer some help and for you that might be enough.

If you have any plans for serious LD Riding, get a Russell now because you will after your first long trip, so you may as well get it right first time.

1) Airhawk 2 Medium Cruiser - as good as any aftermarket seat except a Russell to me. A little floaty feeling but you get used to it. Best bang for the buck.

2) Russell Day Long - best seat I have ever owned. A little awkward at stops until you get used to it.

Just like windshields, tires, etc...find a seat that works best for you. There isn't a magic brand / type fits all choice.

YMMV

--G

For what it's worth, I tried the beadrider and it made things worse, not better. My butt still hurt days after my first long ride. Someone on the fjr owners group is having good luck with the "great day to ride" seat upgrade. I'm going to look into that as it is less than the cost of the airhawk.

CJF - you just spent somewhere North of $14K on a '14ES.

Half measures will avail you nothing, or so they say in AA!

Get yourself a custom or customized seat.

I tried the Airhawk, after fourteen 450+ mile days last summermy ass was on fire.

I tried a Laam seat made for someone else while at the Sparks WFO event last summer and I was sold!

I was lucky in that the Airhawk carried a "you're ass must be satisfied guarantee", I got my money back.

Why endure a whole season of agony before making the change?

Don't screw around, you can spend fortunes on Bead Rider, Air Hawk, All other sort's of silly advertizing. But the leading Manufacturor of aftermarket seats remains Russel.

It may not look all that Sporty butt, It is the Best Seat, Bar None. You pay for what you get...

Next Long Distance event in your area, go check out how many bikes are running Russels.

Nuff Said and Just Saying, like Beemerdon's . Eh....

A Russel seat is not going to make you think oh this sure feels nice. The great think about the Russel seat is that after a 500 mile day you and your spouse are not thinking about how sore your butt is.

I recently bought an Airhawk for my wife & it helped a lot but then I snagged a used set of Corbin seats from member Brodie & after a 4 hour non-stop ride last weekend we're very happy with the Corbin seat. I had one on my 2005 FJR & also liked it then. They may feel a bit hard for some people but not for me.

I tried to order a Lamm but couldn't ever get a response so I gave up. Lamm probably still has my completed order form somewhere in their archives.

Come to think of it, I've had a Corbin on my last six bikes from a Valkyrie to a DRZ400.

To each his own.

have a bead rider on my russel, keeps my culo and my juevos cool
I keep waiting for a deal to come up to try one of these. I actually found an upholstery shop here in Albuquerque that will scoop the seat, add gel and foam to both passenger and rider seats, and recover both of them in my choice of materials for $325. He does lots of cruiser seats. He did awesome work on my wife's Expedition seat. Just need to get it over to him and see how it come out.