Alaska travel - gasoline north of Fairbanks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I searched for this and found an almost identical question. But, that was from 2008 and I'd like an update.

I'll be riding my FJR to Alaska and back (from Dallas) in July. No, stop, don't call the guys in the white uniforms with the nets! I really want to do this.

What I WANT to do is stay in Fairbanks for the night and head North to the little park that says "You Are At The Arctic Circle". And take a picture, then go back.

That's a 400 mile round trip and I bet I could easily get 280 miles on a tank on my '16 FJR. I used Google Maps and Bing Maps, looking for gas north of Fairbanks, and I'm not finding it.

Can anyone provide solid info: IS there unleaded gasoline available along AK Highway 2 and/or AK Highway 11, somewhere between Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle sign?

Hilltop Cafe at mile 5 on the Elliot Hwy is the last fuel before the Dalton. It is 63 miles from Hilltop to the start of the Dalton. There is fuel on the north side of the Yukon River at mile 60 of the Dalton. The Arctic Circle is at mile 115 of the Dalton. The next fuel beyond the Arctic Circle is at Coldfoot at mile 175. I have been on the Dalton when the Yukon River fuel point was out of fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also plan for fuel to get from the longest fuel stop back, in case of weather, or lack of fuel.

I totally lucked out on my Key West/Deadhorse/Key West ride. I stopped to get a picture of the sign and there was a husband & wife hired by the parks

to give out certificates for crossing the Arctic Circle. I think because it was the 21st of June (Summer Solstice) Pterodactyl knows the area very well and

any advice from him will be spot on. Since I went on to Deadhorse, I refueled at Coldfoot.

Never ever , ever, pass up an open gas station in Alaska, even if it’s only to splash a couple gallons into the tank. Speaking from experience of running out in the middle of Grizzlie country ( see ride report in sig ) , all you can think of on the side of the road is “ shit, for the penalty of a couple minutes and a couple gallons of gas, I’m now Bear bait “. I had over 3/4 tank when I passed up the last gas station.

Latest posts