All things considered, which would you buy? 03 or an 08???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can, satisfy yourself the '03 was never down, was properly broken in and kept, and was well maintained, and if it was all those things, snatch it up for the lowest price you can get, and don't look back. Use the money you save to add a heat shield beneath the gas tank and then accessorize the hell out of it (half the fun of owning it). I love the looks of the '08 but I am tickled to death with my 2005 ABS model, to the point where I cannot make a straight faced argument for replacing it. By the way, I like the ABS, but I can't say it is an indispensable feature. No question, a 2003 FJR in good shape with 10,500 miles would be a sweet ride. You won't go wrong either way; not a situation often presented in life, so enjoy.

It all comes down to what floats your boat more. I love my 03 and don't have any issues with heat except when in a traffic jam. ABS would be nice though.

It looks like most of the "bugs" have been worked out for the 08 model, so no worries. The 03 is a good price with great miles, you'll just want to check that the TPS recall was done and listen for the "tick" if that hasn't already been addressed.

Good luck!

Looked at your post several times and figured that anyone that can add a 2nd bike to their garage isn't hurting for money;
Not always true. I have 3 bikes in the garage right now, different tools, don'ch know. Plus I need a second bike so my college age son can ride with me. My sum total invested in all 3 bikes is less than what it would cost me to buy one new '08.

I am also a cheap frugal yankee, and as such do not like to hand over my hard earned cash to a dealership for the priviledge of owning "new".

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd have to say a nice low mileage '03 at that kind of reasonable price is a good deal.

The heat problem (not a problem for me) can be easily fixed. The TPS recall is free. Yamaha has been fixing the tickers for free even out of warranty. What's not to love?

Hi, i'm new to the boards here, and had a few questions. My current ride is an 02 R6, and i'm probably going to be adding an FJR1300 to the garage as well. There is an 03 FJR1300 for sale locally that has 10,500 miles on it, and is stock with the exception of bar risers. The asking price is $6,500. My questions are: What are the notable differences between 03 and 08? Is it worth the extra money to go with the 08? What should I look out for on the 03? Were there any problems with the 03 model since it was the first year? I will probably come up with some more questions, but that's all for now. All help will be greatly appreciated, and again a "big hello" to everyone.
Lucas
Get whatever you like and can afford. You can find newer bikes with low milage. Buddy of mine just picked up an 05 with 3K miles. Just like new for $9K.

I do suspect both bikes would be great for you!

If money is not a issues get a used more "refined" Gen II '06. Generation I models have a gearing advantage for acceleration BUT not a motor advantage. If you don't want to spend $9000 on a 06 and $6000 is your price point... I bet the 03 will be a great ride. Just make sure its not a ticker.

WW

If you decide to get the 03 definately get the motor checked by a reputable dealer for the excessive exhaust valve guide problem before you plunk down your cash.

I've had a gen 1 04 and a gen 2 06 and they're both great bikes. You can probably pick up a well equiped 06 for cheap right now if you look around a little bit.

If the 03 turns into a ticker you're liable to have a real PIA on your hands. Yamaha will probably repair it for free but it depends on the dealer you take the bike to for repair work.

If they are familiar with that particular problem it will be a quick job say two weeks but the norm is likely four weeks. If I were you I'd spend a little more for gen 2 without the mentioned problems.

That sounds like too much for an '03. Just spent $9500 for an '06AE w/about $1500 in add-ons....2500 miles. :yahoo:

I can't speak to the 2003 because I've never owned one, but from what I've read, the engine heat can be a big issue, especially in warm climates. I own a 2007 ABS model and am very happy with it. Lots of power, smooth delivery, very little vibration, handles well and gets pretty good mileage too. As has been suggested here, a 2006 or 07 is essentially the same bike as an 08 and you might save a vew bucks too. For me, ABS is an option I won't go without anymore so if thats an issue with you, it might make a difference in your decision.

Good luck and ride safe.

Keizerken

You probably checked this in the Kelly Blue Book for an 03 FJR1300 in good condition:

A. Retail value if purchased from a dealer = $7,390.00

B. Trade in value if trading in to a dealer = $5,115.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dumped ton of money into my '03, otherwise I'd probably upgrade. The thought of linked ABS brakes is pretty appealing...to me. The heat that can pour off the first generation in the heat of summer can be extreme. I don't know where you live or ride, but if you spend a lot of time in city traffic or temps above 90, be forewarned. I've applied fixes that help but don't solve the issue.

Whatever you decide to do, I recommend spending the two grand or so to upgrade the suspension just as soon as you are able. Having a sport touring bike is a lot of fun if you use it as it was designed. Having a sport touring bike that handles is more fun yet.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth OR

I'd definitely go with the '08, especially if you live anywhere south of North Dakota. On hot summer days you'll find Gen 1's ride real hot. That's the [only] reason I sold my '05 and bought my '07 - and I'm really glad I did too. Couple of other reasons. Buying a new one lets you start from scratch (no pun intended!) with a brand new bike, so no surprised jump up and bite you a few months down the road. And buying new allow you the opportunity to make sure it's maintained properly from the very start.

SR-71

Compromise and get an 05.5. :lol:

I love my 05 and have about 60k miles on it. Over time I have slowly been adding mods such as frame sliders, Givi top case, Zumo and intercom system, seat, Wilbers suspension, exhaust, etc., etc., etc. I have some much time and fun invested in getting it set-up the way I like it I will be hanging on to this one for years.

So, if you are are similarly inclined you may want to consider starting new.

Looked at your post several times and figured that anyone that can add a 2nd bike to their garage isn't hurting for money; Therefore, why would you wanna get yesterday's technology when you can get the new perfected model.
Get the 08 with an extended warranty and have all of the variables on your side of the ledger!
I'm not hurting for money, but I'm definitely not rolling in it either. I would actually prefer to pick up a used bike if at all possible, that way I could get the loan payed off in half the time.

Lucas

Well, I finally had time to go take a look at the 03 yesterday, but to my dissapointment it was already gone. I guess it really was a good deal. Oh well, I'm still in the research stage right now, so I will keep looking. What kind of temps do you Gen I guys who live in the south get? In the summer here in Austin, my R6 usually gets up to about 223 before the fan kicks in. It gets very uncomfortable at these temps. Plus, when the engine fan does kick in, it feels like somebody is blowing a hair dryer right on your legs. If this is the case with the Gen I, that would seal the deal, and would be looking for a Gen 2.

Lucas

Well, I finally had time to go take a look at the 03 yesterday, but to my dissapointment it was already gone. I guess it really was a good deal. Oh well, I'm still in the research stage right now, so I will keep looking. What kind of temps do you Gen I guys who live in the south get? In the summer here in Austin, my R6 usually gets up to about 223 before the fan kicks in. It gets very uncomfortable at these temps. Plus, when the engine fan does kick in, it feels like somebody is blowing a hair dryer right on your legs. If this is the case with the Gen I, that would seal the deal, and would be looking for a Gen 2.
Lucas
If the heat from your R6 bothers you, by all means do yourself a favor and bypass the Gen 1, and buy a 2nd Gen.