almost bought a concours14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jride ~

I note that you don't show the area in which you live/are looking, but those are not particularly good prices on either bike in my experience.

Keep looking! <_<

They are both nice bikes with a slightly different feel. Buy what floats your boat.

Lean Angle???? Seriously, if you have the ability (road and skill) where the difference in maximum lean/cornering angle is an issue between the FJR & C-14, why are you even looking at a big sport tourer? :dribble: Go for the VFR, or Sprint, or a 1+liter sport bike. I'm guessing you are NOT in the 3% of guys with riding the skills where this will make a real workd difference. So I'm gussing you, like me,and most of us will never push the FJR or C-14 to a point where this 'specification/measurement' will matter.
Both are great bike, with enough distinctions between them to matter, it all depends on what you like/want.
You may be right i may never use all the lean angle if it were more than the fjr is capable of but i might and i would like to be able to if i desire to.

My present bike i believe has the same size tires as the fjr (120zr70 17 front 180zr55 17 rear) and i leave chicken stripes of about 1/2 to 3/8" on either side as that is all i can use because i'm dragging pegs folded up nearly all the way at that point.

So while i may not use more than that I want the option should i so desire or need to.

Having said that I have just about albeit not totally eliminated the fjr due to the threads i have read about the vibration it seems from what i have read on this forum that many are unhappy with the vibration and unable to rid the bars of it. so while it is still under consideration it has slipped some
So your current bike is a cruiser if you are folding the pegs and you still have stipes, or you put a bigger tire on "thinking" you would be more lean? you are basing a bikes max lean angle on tire size? The C-14 has the same size front tire and a slightly larger rear than the fjr. The difference in tire size between these two bikes is because of the HP difference and weight, not lean angles...

jride,
What kind of pricing are you getting on the FJR and Concours 14 ABS? I'm getting much better pricing on the Concours.
12299.00 on the c14 + tax no dealer prep charged at this dealer, & 14950.00 prep included + tax for the fjr.
That $12,299 + tax is almost exactly the same best deal I could get on a new 2009 ABS model, and I've contacted at least 15 dealers. I'm not even going to bother looking at a new FJR, just too expensive.

That $12,299 + tax is almost exactly the same best deal I could get on a new 2009 ABS model, and I've contacted at least 15 dealers. I'm not even going to bother looking at a new FJR, just too expensive.
Did you call D&H Cycle in Culman, AL? I believe they are also a Kawsaki dealer, as well as a Yamaha dealer. You won't find much better prices than theirs.

Did you call D&H Cycle in Culman, AL? I believe they are also a Kawsaki dealer, as well as a Yamaha dealer. You won't find much better prices than theirs.
I know of them from reading this site, but haven't called them yet. I've been focusing on trying to locate a used Concours 14 or FJR.

Lean Angle???? Seriously, if you have the ability (road and skill) where the difference in maximum lean/cornering angle is an issue between the FJR & C-14, why are you even looking at a big sport tourer? :dribble: Go for the VFR, or Sprint, or a 1+liter sport bike. I'm guessing you are NOT in the 3% of guys with riding the skills where this will make a real workd difference. So I'm gussing you, like me,and most of us will never push the FJR or C-14 to a point where this 'specification/measurement' will matter.
Both are great bike, with enough distinctions between them to matter, it all depends on what you like/want.
You may be right i may never use all the lean angle if it were more than the fjr is capable of but i might and i would like to be able to if i desire to.

My present bike i believe has the same size tires as the fjr (120zr70 17 front 180zr55 17 rear) and i leave chicken stripes of about 1/2 to 3/8" on either side as that is all i can use because i'm dragging pegs folded up nearly all the way at that point.

So while i may not use more than that I want the option should i so desire or need to.

Having said that I have just about albeit not totally eliminated the fjr due to the threads i have read about the vibration it seems from what i have read on this forum that many are unhappy with the vibration and unable to rid the bars of it. so while it is still under consideration it has slipped some
So your current bike is a cruiser if you are folding the pegs and you still have stripes, or you put a bigger tire on "thinking" you would be more lean? you are basing a bikes max lean angle on tire size? The C-14 has the same size front tire and a slightly larger rear than the fjr. The difference in tire size between these two bikes is because of the HP difference and weight, not lean angles...
Yes current bike is a kawasaki mean streak I did change the tires from 130 to the 120 and rear from 170 to 180 but not in an attempt to increase lean angle rather to make the bike handle better(which it did IMO) and these sizes were more readily available.

My prior post was just in response to bullbogs post and an attempt to say that i use the current bike nearly to its limits at times and i would like to be able to use more of the tire ie lean further, if so desired. What i hear about the fjr is that it is nearly impossible to use the whole tire

As it relates to the c14, articles i have read say that unlike the fjr they had no problems with dragging parts which seems to say that is capable of greater lean angels. Also i have seen pics of tires on c14's and there were no chicken stripes as the tread was worn all the way to the sidewall.

So in order to scuff tires all the way to the sidewall you have to be able to lean it farther than you do when you leave chicken stripes

For lean angle I ride my RC51 or CBR929RR. But for spirited riding which has included trackdays, deals gap and lots of commuting I've ridden my '04 FJR. I owned a 1st generation Concours and thought I'd certainly upgrade to the c14. However 8500 vs 26000 value adjustments/ better fuel milage/ lower operating temps/ better front end feel (more like my sport bikes) and style won me over to buying a used FJR1300. It's been a fantastic 50K miles since I bought it in 2006 and still going strong.

You could owner either but if your going to log miles then better range (fuel mileage/capacity) and longer easier maintenance (less hours/labor if dealer does work, less hours if you do your own) should be weighed heavily. You can quell the vibes with larger bar end weights (a Throttle Meister would work and give you cruise on the expressway). Bling. FJR for me!

Oh yeah I also did a couple dual sport rides to show my friend with a DR400 some great dirt roads a couple of times. :)

I've never understood the comments about not enough lean angle. I ride pretty hard in the curves, and I have taken off about 1/2" of the feelers on the pegs - yet I've never felt like it needed to lean over any more.
+1

I've never really understood it either. I do have a custom suspension which gives me a little more clearance, but I only touch a peg every great once in a while. And I have no chicken strips on my rear tire.

Maybe if the FJR is really heavily loaded with the stock suspension it might touch down a bit early, otherwise, well.....it seems to have plenty of cornering clearance.

And if you want more, just hang off the side! :D
could it be because of your custom suspension ?

even though the lean angle is of concern to me ( not as much now that i find dog bones will raise it up alittle) it is not as much so as the vibration i felt through the bars. On a 30 min demo ride i found myself shaking my hands more than once due to it . I don't even have to do that on my cruiser after an hour of riding. Still i know the fjr is a great bike and it is still on my short list but not at the top yet anyway

Have a peek at the C14 without the bags. Your urge to buy something other than the FJR will come to an abrupt end.

Then there's that silly KPASS thing.

Buy the feej, gas, ride, repeat.

biknflyfisher

I'm in a little different position. I had a C-10 Concours that I really enjoyed but totaled on a ride in Arkansas.

The C-14 had not yet arrived in the dealerships so a selected a used FJR.

I am just now finishing the 26K service. No help or tech assist, just me and the service manual. Pretty straightforward and no hiccups.

When the new Connie finally made the dealerships, I went in for a test ride. On everyday roads here in Texas, no difference. The upside for me? The FJR is paid for and the new Connie would require financing.

BTW I've never experienced the "heat issue" with my '04 but had noticed an insulating blanket installed under the tank. (previous owner) That blanket was certainly a pain to work with during the service............

jride,

Did you make a decision yet? I keep going back and forth, right now I'm leaning toward the FJR, trying to find a very low mileage bike, can't find any within a 250 mile radius in the last 2 months.

With hundreds of these things on this very forum running well over 50,000 miles and a few at three times that, I'm not sure why low miles is that important to you. These are Energizer motorcycles, and the guys who put those miles on them are not the same kind of folks that bash the shit out of gixxers and destroy them in 15,000 miles.

Edit: Here's a high-mileage FJR that's still in warranty!!

Last edited by a moderator:
jride,
Did you make a decision yet? I keep going back and forth, right now I'm leaning toward the FJR, trying to find a very low mileage bike, can't find any within a 250 mile radius in the last 2 months.
I also keep flip flopping. Some days its FJR next day c14 next day sprint st or BMW k12 or 1300s.

I rode a sprint st last week and i really like how light it is and it handles (very well) but maybe a little to forward leaning for me also not sure i want to go to chain final.

I have looked at the k12 and 1300s I really like the looks and its shaft final also less forward leaning (it seems). However the insurance is about 3 times that of the c14, not sure i want to pay the ins. I think i may ride one this week.

So i keep looking and hopefully i will pick one in the next couple of weeks so i can get on with it.

Yes current bike is a kawasaki mean streak I did change the tires from 130 to the 120 and rear from 170 to 180 but not in an attempt to increase lean angle rather to make the bike handle better(which it did IMO) and these sizes were more readily available. My prior post was just in response to bullbogs post and an attempt to say that i use the current bike nearly to its limits at times and i would like to be able to use more of the tire ie lean further, if so desired. What i hear about the fjr is that it is nearly impossible to use the whole tire

As it relates to the c14, articles i have read say that unlike the fjr they had no problems with dragging parts which seems to say that is capable of greater lean angels. Also i have seen pics of tires on c14's and there were no chicken stripes as the tread was worn all the way to the sidewall.

So in order to scuff tires all the way to the sidewall you have to be able to lean it farther than you do when you leave chicken stripes
You can always raise the FJR with dog bones. A pretty simple job that Wicked Webby did here:

Dog Bone Install

I personally use a wire brush to scuff my chicken strips away.

Good Luck on your purchase.

Regards,

Davy

Well, I have both, (04 FJR non ABS and a 08 C-14 non ABS) I've had the C-14 for a little over a month I've put about 1500 mi. on it and I bought the FJR new in 10/2003 and it has just under 25,000 mi. Like everyone has already said get the bike that you would like more. I'm thinking that is'nt really such an easy decision! I really like them both!!! I'm trying to figure out which one to get rid of?

Like anything else they both have their quirks, but they are also quite nice in soooo many ways. I've gotten used to the mirrors on the C-14, I always turn my head anyway to look behind before changing lanes even on the FJR with FZ1 mirrors on it. The heat on the C-14 is noticeable but I can move my foot about a 1/2 inch out on the peg and notice a differance, much cooler. The FJR has a much warmer fuel tank, nice on cold rides, not so nice on hot days. Roasted nuts are good but not when the're mine. The C-14 is a little taller, 32" inseam and I can't flat foot it on both sides. The fuel range on the C-14 is less, about 175 mi. compaired to around 240 mi. on the FJR but I don't do Ironbutt rides. Anybody that does Ironbutt rides on the FJR seems to add an extra tank anyway.

If you have any other questions let me know.

FJRick or KawaRicki? I'm not sure yet??? :unsure:

Well, I have both, (04 FJR non ABS and a 08 C-14 non ABS) I've had the C-14 for a little over a month...
Questions: Contrast the two on vibration, acceleration, wind protection, and cruising comfort at 75mph.

Well, I have both, (04 FJR non ABS and a 08 C-14 non ABS) I've had the C-14 for a little over a month...
Questions: Contrast the two on vibration, acceleration, wind protection, and cruising comfort at 75mph.
I get more vibes on the C-14 at around 5,000rpm, I'm going to do a Throttle body sync and see if that changes things? The FJR starts to have more vibes when it needs the throttles synced.

The acceleration is controled at low rpms on the C-14 through the secondary butterflies, so it does feel a little slower in the lower rpm range 2,000 - 4,000 then you feel it takeoff, and it does feel GOOD! The FJR has more power on the low side by the way it feels, but not much!

The wind protection on the C-14 is better, it has a Cee Baileys Ultra Tourer screen on it and Baker Hand wings to help direct some air toward or away from me. There is no buffeting at all with the screen all the way up untill about a 1/4 of the way down. I have to look through the screen until it's about 1/8 of the way down. I have a Givi screen on the FJR which is about 2" taller and 2" wider than the stock screen and I have to duck down about an inch to get under the air with the screen up.

My first ride on the C-14 was about 450mi. bringing it home, and it was very comfortable! Fun in the twisties and cruised great on the slabs!!! My Friend Girl likes the C-14 better because the rear seat is a little higher and she can see over my helmet now. They are both good cruisers but I guess I like the C-14 a little better for the long haul.

FJRick

Before I got my '07 FJR earlier this month, I test-rode a few other bikes, including the ST1300 (which failed to impress), a Gen I FJR, a couple of used BMW K-bikes (both very nice) and the '09 C-14 ABS.

About the only thing that I strongly disliked about the C-14 was that my knees sat up much too far on the tank (could be my 36" inseam). I also noticed that slower speed maneuvering required a bit more attention than either the FJR or the K-bikes.

Bottom line - the more I ride the FJR (just got back from a day trip of about 120 miles), the more I'm happy with the choice.

I went to the bike shop today to return gloves. On the way out I looked at the connie by the door. When you looked at it for a second time, 2 years after you began looking for a bike, 1.5 years riding the FJR, it will shock you (again) how big is the bike.

Is it just me or do you think the c-14 isn't in the same class as the feej? I see the feej as a step beteen a crotch rocket and a mid-size touring bike, hence the sport-touring name. I see the c-14 beteen the feej and a full-blown touring bike.

If someday when I want a "big" bike I'll get the real deal like a road king or wing.

Some in this forum have said it very well. The selection of a motorcycle is a personal choices. With all the brands and stlyes I'm glad we have choices. I have two totally diffrent motorcycles and enjoy riding both.

If you like the Connie buy it, don't second guess your decision. If you get it and decide you don't like it, I'm sure there are several dozen Yamaha dealers or private parties that would love to sell you a FJR.

Good luck,