AM/FM radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobber

Reaction score
I'm looking for a am/fm radio to mount somewhere on the bike. Planning on doing some travelling this year and like to have something to listen to local news, music etc. Outside speakers not a great issue has can use helmet mounted. Looking at a Harley Road Tech but kinda too big.

Finding handlebar mounted CB's so thinking there should be something similar for AM/FM.

Ipod with Sony in-ear buds works great for me only I have to provide the variety... Also works great off the bike. :good:

I just solved that very problem. I don't want an iPod, 'cause I dont' want to spend $300 or listen to the same songs over again.

AM / FM digital radio, Radio Shack, $35. Hooked it up to my MotoComm headphones. Did this just two weeks ago. As usual, velcroed it to the bike, to whatever the f**k that reservoir is next to the clutch, and used the wrist cord as a secure back up by looping it over the grip.

You can pre-program up to 10 channels in each of AM and FM. And it has a scan feature. Also, the on-off and AM-FM toggle button are big, fat, and easy to reach with a gloved hand.

Only issue is limited volume, and no stereo. So for Christmas (to solve the stereo but not the volume issue) I'm getting myself the MotoComm MXR-1 Music Mixer stereo adapter that also lets you toggle between walkie talkie and radio. I don't have and don't plan to get a StarCom. The volume with new batteries is fine, BTW.

See pics:

Note buttons on face--one to toggle between AM-FM, the other to turn it on-off.

2113443597_09b1d104c7.jpg

2114214850_684a6a1c64.jpg

2113443613_fee935ecb6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a Panasonic "walkman" type portable stereo and it works fine. got it cheap on eBay

myFJRgadgets.jpg

I just picked up a Delphi Skyfi3 and an extra car kit to install in place of the stereo.

Although I may just run the XM unit through the walkman and have the best of both.

I use an Autocom Active 7.

BTW...there's a trick you can do to extend the range dramatically on portable stereos with a headphone plug.

Wrap a piece of 30 gauge wire around the 1/8" plug and cut it to 31". Instant long range antenna since the FM

antenna is built into the headphone ground. I now pull in NY radio stations from almost 40 miles away on that little thing.

I just solved that very problem. I don't want an iPod, 'cause I dont' want to spend $300 or listen to the same songs over again.
AM / FM digital radio, Radio Shack, $35. Hooked it up to my MotoComm headphones. Did this just two weeks ago. As usual, velcroed it to the bike, to whatever the f**k that reservoir is next to the clutch, and used the wrist cord as a secure back up by looping it over the grip.

You can pre-program up to 10 channels in each of AM and FM. And it has a scan feature. Also, the on-off and AM-FM toggle button are big, fat, and easy to reach with a gloved hand.

Only issue is limited volume, and no stereo. So for Christmas (to solve the stereo but not the volume issue) I'm getting myself the MotoComm MXR-1 Music Mixer stereo adapter that also lets you toggle between walkie talkie and radio. I don't have and don't plan to get a StarCom. The volume with new batteries is fine, BTW.
Is this baby weather proof?

My little Gen 4 nano I-Pod has a Thousand Songs thats about 12 days 8 Hrs a day riding with out hearing the same song.

It would be nice to here some Radio to here news but where I live and ride radio doesn't cut it.

Went on E-Bay and got some Helmet Speakers and I like way better than the ear buds (ear buds hurt my ears) also up here in Washington it ileagal to ride with ear buds.

Thanks for the ideas. Once bike comes out of shed for spring I'll try something. Even thinking of getting a trunk and modifying to carry something, plug 'n' go. Since bike has saddlebags and I have a pull behind tent trailer for gear that may be an option.

BTW...there's a trick you can do to extend the range dramatically on portable stereos with a headphone plug.Wrap a piece of 30 gauge wire around the 1/8" plug and cut it to 31". Instant long range antenna since the FM

antenna is built into the headphone ground. I now pull in NY radio stations from almost 40 miles away on that little thing.

Randy,

Can you expand a bit on this tip? Does the fine wire have to contact the metal pin? Does the wire have to be coiled up the length of one of the headphone wires or can it be rather tightly wound around the plug?

Sorry, not a hijack attempt.

This has been discussed from time to time over the years. Personally I tried several different portable radios including Sony, Radio Shack & others. I tried attaching antennas to them. Generally the results for FM are ok within 40-60 miles of the transmitting station. Beyond that it gets sketchy. The landscape has a lot to do with it. I found that when touring a "scan" pushbutton was valuable. Radio Shack had a small portable that fit my needs for a while. When I get my Zumo on then I'll also have the XM radio. This still is not the local coverage though. If you could spare the room or find a small auto radio that would probably be the best selection other than satellite radio for touring. Best of luck in whatever you do & please followup with whatever you do & how it works. Ron

edit-just followed the above link. That unit looks good. Let us know how it works for you.

Huh? :huh:

My iPod has 6,161 songs on it right now (had to check that number, yes :) ) and I usually have it playing on random. I know for a fact that I hear the same shit over & over on FM radio far more than I do on Radio Rancho. :drinks:

Rancho

I'm looking for a am/fm radio to mount somewhere on the bike. Planning on doing some travelling this year and like to have something to listen to local news, music etc. Outside speakers not a great issue has can use helmet mounted. Looking at a Harley Road Tech but kinda too big.Finding handlebar mounted CB's so thinking there should be something similar for AM/FM.
Sony Ericsson K790 camera phone. If this thing had a GPS it would be perfect. Tunes (MP3, AM/FM Radio) and a 3.2Mp cybershot camera + bluetooth all rolled into one. The only problem is the non-standard headphone connector. It's replaced my Ipod and digicam on rides. All in a package about the same size as double thick Ipod.

Sandisk Sansa e260 (4Gb). Got it on Woot (dot com) for about $50. Does MP3, video, images, FM radio, and has a memory expansion slot for more storage. My 20Gb hdd-based MP3 player holds every CD I own and setting it on randomize avoid playing the same songs over again even when spending a loooong time on the road. However the e260 is more compact and does more stuff (watched an episode of "Long Way Down" yesterday while waiting for the oil/filter/lube of the car to get done).

Easily fits in the pocket of your jacket, so no need to mount to the bike.

i love my xm radio. you can sometimes find a good deal on the xm website, around 30 bucks for radio. theres a $12 monthly service fee but you can move the radio to your car or home. tons of channels to choose from, i even get traffic and weather reports. had a hard time at first mounting the antenna, kept on losing reception. now i get reception 98% of the time. music is a great addition to a long ride.