Ambiant tempurature display?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Can it be adjusted? Mine is always 2 or 3 degrees higher than actual. Yeh, I could do the math but would rather have it read the right temp. I am pretty sure it happens on both bikes. I haven't confirmed it yet on the 15 but I am pretty sure it's the same.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. I always just assumed mine was accurate. What are you testing it against? My buddy uses a 5 function gauge and my bike is always within 1 degree of his gauge. Perhaps both are wrong, but I always assumed it was closer than two to three degrees off.

Mine have always been whacky when parked. But they've given good results when underway.

I've always had some bikes with no ambient temperature display. What's the difference? If your hot, you're hot. If you're cold you're cold. Change clothes accordingly.

FWIW, there is no obvious adjustment. The sensor plugs in, and that's pretty much it.

^^^^^ this

Can you really tell a difference of 2 degrees Fahrenheit? Underneath your ATGATT?

"A guy with two temperature gauges never really knows what the temperature is"
So true ;)

Like blassoff, I'm wondering how you know it's off two-degrees. Air temps can be two degrees different in a very short distance; how would you know what it really is right here, right now?

FWIW, I've got a buddy with a Goldwing, and ours are usually within one degree of each other.

I know now I shouldn't have asked this on a Friday. Well at least I got one reasonable response worth reading, blassoff wins. The only way I have to check is when I see a sign on the road (usually a bank) that gives the tempurature. After riding 90K miles and seeing the same difference constantly is how I know. I think I will try a more thorough study this weekend at home. Yes I agree the temps can change within a few 100 feet by a couple of degrees in certain areas. I see it all the time on the way to work.

Why do I ask you say? It must be due to my anal retentiveness. It just bugs me is all. If you don't give shit then fine, no worries.

Dave

I'm with you, Dave. I always like to know if I'm warm enough. Or cool enough. Or just right.

hqdefault.jpg

A bank I used to work for used signs controlled by PCs inside the building, and the temperatures could be controlled from the PC. We'd typically have an employee drive by in their car and call back with the temperature their car showed and set to that. That was a few years back, though. I'm sure they're better now, but some of our signs were years old.

I've seen bank signs be several degrees apart across the street from each other.

Yeah, I've noticed mine displays a couple degrees too warm also. The main reason that I care is around this time of year when it gets down to just above freezing.

A week ago I went on a tag ride over into Vermont. When I left the house it was a sunny and balmy 42 degrees. By the time I hit the state line it had clouded over, and there were a few flakes in the air, but I wasn't worried because the temperature was still showing 39-40, so it wasn't sticking to the roads. By the time I climbed from the river valley, up past Okemo ski area to my first tag in Plymouth it was snowing hard and the temp had dropped down to 35 displayed. Knowing this was really about 33, and that I still had a bit more elevation to gain to get past Killington, I chickened out and headed back down hill before the unsalted wet roads froze over.

By the way, with my heated jacket liner, heated gloves and grips all running I was perfectly warm and toasty the whole time. Just didn't cherish the idea of dropping the big pig in the snow.

Here's my tag photo: Calvin Coolidge's gravesite (bet you didn't know he was a Vermonter)

a9e7424323fb4257ce0753f0bee81f11.jpg

Leave it to Fred to surmise a good reason to know what the correct temps are while motorcycling. I know you Cali boys don't see snow much. The seasonal changes can apply in one day here in New England. As the saying goes here in NE wait an hour the weather will change.

winksmiley02.gif

Mine reads 4-5 degrees high. Very consistently (in motion, of course). I'm used to it. No way to adjust that I know of.

BMW used to put a little thermometer with snowflake on their instrument display. It would light up at approximately 38 F if I remember correctly.

That's to warn the rider to be looking for black ice.

Leave it to Fred to surmise a good reason to know what the correct temps are while motorcycling. I know you Cali boys don't see snow much. The seasonal changes can apply in one day here in New England. As the saying goes here in NE wait an hour the weather will change.
winksmiley02.gif

Here in California we can ride to the snow if we wish and head to the beach same day. As for temp shown on bike, I believe it is simply engine heat that makes it display a few degrees warmer than actual ambient temp. If I had a coolant temp showing hotter than actual i would be more concerned.

It sounds like some bikes do falsely run a bit higher on the outdoor temp gage. Well at least its not just me. It also seems like there is not a hell of a lot we can do to fix it. Well that is not until an electronic genius comes along with a solution.
winksmiley02.gif

My '15 consistently runs 2 - 3 degrees above any GEN IIs that I'm traveling with. It's great to know that the riding buddies will hit ice before I do!
tonguesmiley.gif

--G