Ambiant tempurature display?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Jim and I ride together (each on our own bikes), we compare the ambient air temperature reading quite frequently really. His almost always reads 2 degrees cooler than mine.

Then when we pass a bank (or some such establishment) that has a thermometer posted, I think great, we'll finally get to see who's is closer to the real temperature. Guess what we see? The temperature readout on the bank thermometer is right in the middle of Jim's and mine. So we still don't know which one of ours is more accurate.

When Jim and I ride together (each on our own bikes), we compare the ambient air temperature reading quite frequently really. His almost always reads 2 degrees cooler than mine.Then when we pass a bank (or some such establishment) that has a thermometer posted, I think great, we'll finally get to see who's is closer to the real temperature. Guess what we see? The temperature readout on the bank thermometer is right in the middle of Jim's and mine. So we still don't know which one of ours is more accurate.
Well that's understandable...a chick riding a red bike will put out more heat. JSNS
flirt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if it was me and 2 degrees plus or minus was important.....am I gonna die?.....it's no better than my car.....

I know this old at this point, but I just picked up a leftover Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS, and like BMW, it's got that black ice warning snow flake on the display panel.

It comes on at 39 F and stays on until temps rise above 42 F.

I guess the lawyers on the Triumph design team are even more conservative than the ones at BMW.

Which is so typical of modern "safety", they put the warning on so early that nobody takes any notice of it. But their corporate backsides are covered.

For some reason I'm always looking at the ambient temp while riding my bike, I really don't know why though. Much more important this time of year is the road surface temp. Fortunately for us in Washington our DOT has on it's website road temps for most of the main roads in the state. I use that all the time.

Yep, just arbitrary numbers until you need to use them for a specific purpose. Like time. If it's 3:46 and not 3:44, what does it matter unless there is some need to be exact. 43 degrees is pretty much like 41 or 45. Then, how accurate is any thermometer? Bank temp gauges aren't tested are they? I have two weather apps on my phone that are always telling me a different number, and both different from the two outdoor gauges I have at the house.

As Fred said, on the bike I'm only concerned about knowing if a wet road could freeze. I check the temperature on my phone before I even get near the bike, to know how to suit up....or not and just pour a drink and take that ride another time. :)

The displayed air temperature on my Honda car can be easily calibrated. The procedure is described in the Owner's Manual. It can be adjusted up to +/- 5 degF.

The programmable thermostat I use in my home also allows for calibration of the displayed temperature.

I remember my '89 Ford Probe had the message "warning: ice" come on at 37 degrees.

I just wish the gage would display less than 16 deg. Down to zero couldn't have been too hard to do.

Might be that the sensor doesn't work or work reliably/consistently below that temp..

.. or perhaps they never dreamed anyone would ride in that kind of weather!