And they wonder why I dis 'em.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a guy inthe winston salem area that has a 95 e'elde classic, trunk and all. The colors are brown and tan and always dirty look'n. If you are feel'n froggy and see this bike beeee careful. That thing has a 150 hp with around 165 ft tq and this guy likes to ride around wait'n for someone to scare the crap out of. It runs high 9's and is a street bike. Any one had a rc51, seems like theres one in iwana every couple of weeks at a good price.

I just got the "you should've bought a real bike" comment again yesterday.
What's a real rider vs. a poseur? I have an idea, but I could be wrong. (Ha ha :lol2: .)
"Get a real bike" comments usually come from people walking or riding in beat up old cages drinking keystone lite in a can or out of an inconspicuous paper bag....And I always laugh :lol:

No offense to Keystone drinkers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it just depends on the person. I’ve met some HD riders who were definitely not posers, I’ve met some sport bike riders who were not squids and I’ve met some ST riders who were not preppies.

Every riding group has it’s stereotypes. I think stereotypes become stereotypes because there is an element of truth to them. I also think it is hilarious when I see someone fits a stereotype perfectly. However, we all know that some people just don’t fit any mold.

That being said, it is somewhat fun to make fun of people who belong to a group other than the one you are associated with. Everybody does it. I think it makes us feel superior. The HD guys enjoy making fun of the sport bike riders and the ST riders, not to mention the guys who ride bikes with their own zip code…you know who you are.

The fact is that we are all bound by some strange desire to put ourselves at risk for that feeling of freedom we get when we ride a motorcycle instead of driving a cage with it’s seat belts, it’s crumple zones and it’s air bags. That desire means that we have something in common and should respect each other’s decision to ride what we ride.

But while we are poking fun at the HD gang, this is one of my favorites:

DealsGapHarley.jpg

I think it just depends on the person. I’ve met some HD riders who were definitely not posers, I’ve met some sport bike riders who were not squids and I’ve met some ST riders who were not preppies.
Every riding group has it’s stereotypes. I think stereotypes become stereotypes because there is an element of truth to them. I also think it is hilarious when I see someone fits a stereotype perfectly. However, we all know that some people just don’t fit any mold.

That being said, it is somewhat fun to make fun of people who belong to a group other than the one you are associated with. Everybody does it. I think it makes us feel superior. The HD guys enjoy making fun of the sport bike riders and the ST riders, not to mention the guys who ride bikes with their own zip code…you know who you are.

The fact is that we are all bound by some strange desire to put ourselves at risk for that feeling of freedom we get when we ride a motorcycle instead of driving a cage with it’s seat belts, it’s crumple zones and it’s air bags. That desire means that we have something in common and should respect each other’s decision to ride what we ride.
Dude, I swear to God I sat down to write this EXACT post when I saw yours.

Gunny to everything you said! Truer words were never spoken.

I anoint you with the Wand of Wisdom.

fractured_2.jpg

....................................MrTwisty

Jb

Dude, I swear to God I sat down to write this EXACT post when I saw yours.

Gunny to everything you said! Truer words were never spoken.

I anoint you with the Wand of Wisdom.

fractured_2.jpg

....................................MrTwisty

Jb
I'm not worthy.

Schwing!

I used to ride sportbikes now the FJR after CBR,VFR etc. Once or twice/yr I see my wife's cousin at famiy functions. He rides a Road King fully chromed out. He and his wife are both 250lbs + and everytime he see's me he starts a conversation that goes like this. " the other day we were riding in the mtns and I could here them rockets come screaming up behind me, I got on the gas real good and they couldn't get around me. She aint' no crotch rocket but my Harley can keep up with any of 'em.Yeah right! If that story had any truth to it, it would be that they wait until its safe to get past his rolling speed block in the mtns.

I do like the way Harleys look (Ultra Classic, Road Glide) but don't like the ride, lack of power/handling or the $$$$$.

Mostly a group of poseurs.

Steve
ROTFLMAO!!!

There is a guy inthe winston salem area that has a 95 e'elde classic, trunk and all. The colors are brown and tan and always dirty look'n. If you are feel'n froggy and see this bike beeee careful. That thing has a 150 hp with around 165 ft tq and this guy likes to ride around wait'n for someone to scare the crap out of. It runs high 9's and is a street bike. Any one had a rc51, seems like theres one in iwana every couple of weeks at a good price.
Maybe He'd like to start leading & then follow an FJR across country if the bike held together . . . . ;) I've got a buddy with a similar setup 124 ci He put together with a Baker tranny & He knows better than to challenge me for an LD ride . . . .Not a put down of HD - Just a reality check . . .

"if the bike held together..."

I seem to recall a HD was in the top 3 in this year's Iron Butt out of St. Louis. I could be wrong...

B)

"if the bike held together..."
I seem to recall a HD was in the top 3 in this year's Iron Butt out of St. Louis. I could be wrong...

B)
You're not wrong ! But it wasn't a 9 second bike was it ? HD makes some mighty reliable stuff off the shelf since the Evolution style products. You'd have to be blind or bias if you didn't know that . . . .I rode (over 20 yrs) HD & was a mechanic here for over 10 years (6yrs building motors/trannys & bikes)locally but I had this one head on car crash and well, I'm just not the same. HD from 1971 to 1992 for me and had some other brands at the same time . . . .

I own a fjr and just sold my e-glide and am look'n for a older hd and personally i find a hd rider bashing another brand just as stupid as someone bashing a hd rider just because they ride something else. Someone that does is no better than the other. An it doesn't matter if you ride 100,000 miles a damd year or 5,000 it's lack of respect bothways. The small minded will always be small minded.
Well said. Nice to hear that some folks on here get it.

The bashing here is kinda funnny.....but, me's still pissed off bout the keystone lite comment.....that just rubs me the wrong way. Bout high time to send some bad mojo jihad curse someone's way. :rolleyes:

I used to ride sportbikes now the FJR after CBR,VFR etc. Once or twice/yr I see my wife's cousin at famiy functions. He rides a Road King fully chromed out. He and his wife are both 250lbs + and everytime he see's me he starts a conversation that goes like this. " the other day we were riding in the mtns and I could here them rockets come screaming up behind me, I got on the gas real good and they couldn't get around me. She aint' no crotch rocket but my Harley can keep up with any of 'em.Yeah right! If that story had any truth to it, it would be that they wait until its safe to get past his rolling speed block in the mtns.

I do like the way Harleys look (Ultra Classic, Road Glide) but don't like the ride, lack of power/handling or the $$$$$.

Mostly a group of poseurs.
This is exactly the kind of condescending and ignorant "get a real bike" BS that I can't stand about far too many HD riders and the idiotic sheep marketing they succumb to. But it definitely isn't every HD rider. In fact, IF I had the $$, one of the bikes I'd probably have in the garage is a HD Fat Boy -- I've always thought that was a clean looking, once in a while to ride bike along the lines of a fully restored '56 Ford half ton pickup. Of course, it'd probably rank no higher than 7th or 8th bike in my garage.

In early June 2006, right after I got my '03 Blackbird back together (PCIII, 4-2-1 Micron, Carozzerria wheels, Traxxion and Penske suspension, etc.), I took it on a shakedown ride over the mountain before taking it to a meet the following weekend and ran across one of those poseurs. In Truckee, I was merging onto I-80 west off 267 as a HD with extended forks was coming up behind. I nodded politely, and then I heard the noise control get rolled wide open (we were probably going about 70). No one else was anywhere close on the 3 lane freeway, and it took me a second in disbelief to realize that this guy was actually trying to give me a display of what kind of power his real bike made. I let him go by (about 10 feet to my left), getting the full blast of all that raw noise before I kicked my pussy bike down a gear and grabbed some throttle. At only about 145 RWHP on my ricer, I was, of course, very closely matched with his 75 HP real bike. After what seemed like an eternity measured in tenths of seconds, it was nice to get all that raw and manly noise behind me, so I ran away and hid like a girly man.

Toe's responder was right -- Brian's beautiful red '01 XX is a JOKE compared to a REAL bike (the only kind REAL men will "ride"). Too bad that kind of stupidity overshadows the personalities of the real riders who ride HDs.

I own an 06FJR, an 05 Goldwing and an 06 Street Rod HD. Different bikes for different occasions and for totally different purposes. I enjoy riding all three. My HD handles well (almost like a Ducati Monster, but a really heavy one). I can hold my own riding with sport bikes. Most conventional Harley riders either give me a dirty look for having a liquid cooled 120 hp V twin designed by Porche, or just don't acknowledge my presence. Some would give it a concerned look before they shake their heads and walk away (with: there goes the neighborhood expression). I don't know if it's because they think I am a HD impostor or because they are jealous of a much better bike. I tell you what: the street Rod is the only HD I would consider, and it was discontinued this year. My favorite of the three: the FJR. Just my 2 cents.

Sam

For what it is worth: HD guys aren't the only ones.

Example from yesterday-- I stopped at a local gas station to fill up the FJR after taking the wife to lunch, and enjoying the 70 degrees. Three locals I know, (2 on HD--1 of which sports a really fine flame job the owner did himself) and a guy who rides a Yamaha Stratoliner were off their bikes enjoying the sun on a bench. I admired the bikes, and noticing the Snowcone shaped clear taillights on the Strato, I broke the ice in my typically sensitive fashion: "Cool lights... I hear the Madonna look is really big with bikes this year."

Mr. Strato (who is like a Catfish: all mouth and no brains) had to laugh since everybody else was. Then the conversation went something like this...

Strato: "How fast that bike (FJR) go?"

Me: "I don't know-- I hit 135 after I put a new set of tires on just to make sure everything was OK. Supposed to do more..."

Strato: "Gotta watch mine. She'll get away from you quick."

HD guy: "Yeah, that's why he has a backrest-- to keep him in the seat."

Strato: " Yeah, it came from the factory at 100 hp and I added the new pipes which boosted it to 125hp. What's yours?"

Me: "I've heard anywhere from 125 to 140. Who knows for sure? What kind of torque you get?"

Strato: "I don't know but it is alot. It will break rubber in any gear."

Me: "Wow. What's top end?"

Strato: "About 135mph"

Me: "Wow. What's 0-100?"

Strato: "Eight seconds."

Me: "Wow. That's some bike" Now I notice the other 2 guys are looking down, and kind of shaking their heads.

Strato: "What's your bike weigh?"

Me: "About 650 wet."

Strato: "Mine is about 950 with me on it."

Me: "Wow."

Guess my bike is not any hotter than a Stratoliner. Glad I didn't challenge him to a run for pinks. <_<

Maybe if I took the bags off first?

B)

I wonder what strato would have said if you said yours topped out at 120......................

For what it is worth: HD guys aren't the only ones.
Example from yesterday-- I stopped at a local gas station to fill up the FJR after taking the wife to lunch, and enjoying the 70 degrees. Three locals I know, (2 on HD--1 of which sports a really fine flame job the owner did himself) and a guy who rides a Yamaha Stratoliner were off their bikes enjoying the sun on a bench. I admired the bikes, and noticing the Snowcone shaped clear taillights on the Strato, I broke the ice in my typically sensitive fashion: "Cool lights... I hear the Madonna look is really big with bikes this year."

Mr. Strato (who is like a Catfish: all mouth and no brains) had to laugh since everybody else was. Then the conversation went something like this...

Strato: "How fast that bike (FJR) go?"

Me: "I don't know-- I hit 135 after I put a new set of tires on just to make sure everything was OK. Supposed to do more..."

Strato: "Gotta watch mine. She'll get away from you quick."

HD guy: "Yeah, that's why he has a backrest-- to keep him in the seat."

Strato: " Yeah, it came from the factory at 100 hp and I added the new pipes which boosted it to 125hp. What's yours?"

Me: "I've heard anywhere from 125 to 140. Who knows for sure? What kind of torque you get?"

Strato: "I don't know but it is alot. It will break rubber in any gear."

Me: "Wow. What's top end?"

Strato: "About 135mph"

Me: "Wow. What's 0-100?"

Strato: "Eight seconds."

Me: "Wow. That's some bike" Now I notice the other 2 guys are looking down, and kind of shaking their heads.

Strato: "What's your bike weigh?"

Me: "About 650 wet."

Strato: "Mine is about 950 with me on it."

Me: "Wow."

Guess my bike is not any hotter than a Stratoliner. Glad I didn't challenge him to a run for pinks. <_<

Maybe if I took the bags off first?

B)
These types of conversations would end a lot faster if you don't pussyfoot around and just whip it out - no matter what they ride, guys like "Strato" invariably suffer from tiny dick syndrome