Android Auto for Motorcycles Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
I have car with Android Auto. Love it. Works great, unlike effing Garmin. I find Garmin products have the reliability of a beta release, if that.

So I had this idea. Give me a box like a GPS I can plug my phone into so I can use Android Auto.

This is a reality if you have a car. You can buy a "receiver" and they work with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. Presently these receivers plug into the dashboard and I imagine the screen is finger touch only and are not water proof. So close yet so far. Imagine no PC to lug around either. Just plot your route on google maps and go. Nice. Screw you Garmin

Here is an example of an Receiver.

71Yj9RA8yKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Q

Hey Fontanaman, a year ago (or more?) I posted a couple responses [with photos I think] revealing my own RAM-mounted Android tablet-based GPS solution.

While it may not offer you the exact feature set / user experience you've come to love on Android Auto, I can tell you it does offer:

• true GPS satellite receiver accurate navigation (my tablet was intentionally selected as one of the few which have both the U.S. "GPS" chipset, and the Russian "GLONASS" satellite data handshaking chipset onboard
  • I've mostly been able to rely on the Android "OSMand Plus" navigation app for route tracking
  • ability to store / playback a buttload of decent stereo audio tunes for playback while riding
  • bluetooth connectivity with my old Sena comms units for both music, and turn-by-turn voice instruction
  • doubles as a poor-man's simple computer for various hotel room activities like email management, daily video playback (from my GoPro cameras captured each day)
  • while not formally certified with some level of IPx rain protection, I've been using Otterbox-type cases which for 6 years now, have never allowed me to damage 2 different Android tablets I've had mounted between the handlebars - out in the open air "cockpit" of me FJR
Anyway, I agree that Android Auto should be extended with motorcycle use in mind, but after I was driven to find a navigation solution - far cheaper, - just as capable, - with a display far bigger, I consider my own Garmin unit to be virtually useless now...

Cheers!

Lots of GPS apps download the map data to the phone, and the GPS chip does not require cell signal to work. I have been using a Samsung tablet that is Wi-Fi only (no cell chip) as a dedicated GPS for 3 years now. It works pretty well, but isn't weather resistant. I am moving to one of my old phones with a Lifeproof case. Smaller screen, but still works for what I need. 

Cyclepath, what Android tablet are you using today?

Thanks!

Ditto!

And please post some photos again!

BTW, for my two months in Europe this past summer my go-to app was Co-pilot GPS app.  Downloaded maps so no cell service needed.  My Garmin 590 was used just as back-up or for a secondary map view - either zoomed in or zoomed out.  I also used Google maps a little bit.  Typically, I would figure out a route the night before with Google maps, and then use the Co-Pilot GPS app to make the route.  Once I got used to it and learned a couple of the idiosyncrasies I was very happy with it.

For a substitute Android launcher tailored for motor vehicle use, take a look at Car Home Ultra.  I would run that all the time on the road until I switch to OLED screened phones and got worried about burn in.

I've thought about a waterproof tablet, too.

I have Co-pilot.  I don't use it much.  But it has better maps than the proprietary Toyota/Subaru maps.

Cyclepath, what Android tablet are you using today?

Thanks!
Hi again,

For the first few years, I used an Asus ME176C  7" tablet.  Last year I bought a replacement (now an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A model) - both of these offer the true satellite connectivity, which does not rely on conventional cell phone towers at all for remote / mountain navigation.

Check out this online comparison site:  https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6412&idPhone2=8474&sSearch3=T380NZKE&idPhone3=8725

The Asus Zenpad (tablet shown in the middle column of that graphic comparison) was also a consideration for me; Asus build high-quality products overall. However, during the 2018 Black Friday promotion, I found a better deal on that 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab instead...

Hope that helps.

Here's a link to my personal GooglePhotos online storage, this should let you see how I used a RAM tablet holder + RAM ball mount with my own primitive (but useful) sheet aluminum 90 degree sun shade (painted in flat black):  https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9dKarkD8SFqFTBy6

Those pics were taken just before I bought the newer, larger Samsung tablet, but the new one just fit right into the new assembly without a problem...

Cheers

Hey Bounce,

Well, that RAM mount is slightly flexible, and so I think that if I did end up having an Unscheduled Dismount (TM), I'd probably have even bigger problems...

:scare:

As they say, YMMV.

Hey Ludwig61, I too, have tried to use that alternative launcher (Car Home Ultra) - and I was so committed I paid for it on Android.

It appears to work fine, but I have come to a acknowledge that adding yet another layer to my launching / use of a GPS screen & audio while flying along the highway also presents some challenges that could make me less safe.  Once configured, that launcher works, but I did experience a problem which forced me to pull over and close the app on my device.

Hey Bounce,

Well, that RAM mount is slightly flexible, and so I think that if I did end up having an Unscheduled Dismount (TM), I'd probably have even bigger problems...

:scare:

As they say, YMMV.
Good luck. A nice roll on those leading edges would help a little but also "doll it up" a little.

Thanks for the suggestion Bounce.

It occurred to me that also, a bend/roll on that flexible aluminum sun shield would also strengthen it. Might reduce its tendency to shake in the wind a little at extra-legal velocities...