Angels Crest and Big Bear in December

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwil

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This Wednesday I am starting my trip down to San Diego. The first day I plan to get to Eureka and the second to San Luis Obispo. After that is still up in the air. I would love to do Angels Crest and then hwys 138/18/38 through Big Bear. But I am afraid that it is too late in the season for that.

Does anyone have some input on the current condition of these road?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a 'decent' amount of rain a few days ago, and are expecting more next Thursday & Friday.

However, the storms have been bringing semi-tropical up from the SW and the snow levels haven't dropped.

You'll probably get wet on your way down. If you hole up in SLO on Friday, Saturday should be nice riding weather to continue.

You can check the CalTrans website for road conditions as you get closer, but so far there hasn't been any accumulation of snow and the coming storm isn't predicted to be a cold one - just wet.

Don't know what your schedule is, but you might consider waiting until Monday to do Angeles Crest/Big Bear. That'll give CalTrans a chance to scrape rain debris - and weekend road warriors - off the Tarmac.

Even Julian (can you say "pie"?) isn't expecting snow.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the input!

I think I will just see how wet things are when I get down there. It is good that there is no snow.

I can probably push it to Saturday if it looks promising, but by Monday I want to be on my way to Arizona for a side trip.

Pie in Julian or Santa Ysabel is definitely on the agenda sometime before I return :)

Snow level is forecast to be 4000 Thursday and Friday
Thanks! That probably rules out Angels Crest and Big Bear. My timing isn't the best this time.

Get a job!!
tongue.png
Tyler, I thought you were one of the few that are on my side regarding this ;)

Thanks!

I think it is absolutely wonderful that California is getting some good rain.

I am starting to realize that leaving tomorrow would put me in the middle of the storm, and that waiting a couple of days would result in a much more enjoyable ride.
So the new target for leaving is Friday, which means I can go back to bed now and finish the preparations later
biggrin.png

I think I will be a couple days behind you. Going to San Diego also, but will be in Morro Bay on Saturday to see one of my buddies and then Orange County on Sunday to see another and then work in San Diego Monday to Friday.

I was thinking more on the lines of Hwy 33 on Sunday, the Santa Monica mountains are also tempting, however, I tend to stay away from where the weekend hooligans are ... so I dunno... :shrug:

PS - If you need a place to stay just east of Sacramento before this weekend, gimme a holler! :)

I live in the foothills of Mt Baldy. Angeles Crest is open but we're expecting a storm Thu night and Friday with a temp drop.

Thanks for the offer for a place to stay puppychow!
My plan is to just stay on 101 all the way to the bay. It will keep me at low elevation and a nicer ride than I-5 I think.

It is now Saturday a.m. and the local (L.A.) news just announced that Angeles Crest Hwy is closed from San Gabriel Cyn. to Big Pines Road.

They didn't specify if it was debris, snow or washout.

In case you didn't get the news up in the PNW, yesterday's storm was, by SoCal standards, pretty severe. In some places the rain rate was 3"/hour.

Big Bear got 8"-11" of snow - with a predicted daytime temperature of 37*.

More rain predicted for next Tuesday into Wednesday, though nobody is suggesting anything as strong as yesterday's - yet.

Enjoy your ride!

Thanks for the info! It will have to wait for another day.

I am in San Luis Obispo tonight after a long but fun 550 miles from Eureka.

Tomorrow should be an easy and mostly freeway day to San Diego. Hwy 33 into Ojai might be fun. I will go look on CalTran if it is open. Any input is welcome :)

Argh. Should be keeping more in touch with forum. Would have liked to have met you.

Especially since that rat KittyChow blew me off!

I just sent this email to henwil, why in the Hell do these Specific Northwet Mooks carry their crappy ass weather with them wherever they ride to! Was cool when bikerskier Ralph rode to AZ! https://weather.aol.com/forecast/US/chandler/id/USAZ0034

"Hola Henry: Fresh bedding and a warm comforter has been placed on the bed in our Guest Bedroom. Why do you Pacific Northwest Guys always bring your damned cold weather with you!"

No worries henwil, Old Fart Niehart even brought cool weather to SW-FOG held in Page, AZ; never got above 90F the entire weekend, we Zonies were freezing!

"Wow Don! The expectation was not for you to accommodate me. Much appreciated!

Sorry about the weather
wink.png

Henry"

Argh. Should be keeping more in touch with forum. Would have liked to have met you.Especially since that rat KittyChow blew me off!
No worries. Maybe we can meet when I ride back home. It will be shortly after Jan 4th.

Argh. Should be keeping more in touch with forum. Would have liked to have met you.Especially since that rat KittyChow blew me off!
Sorry Don. I didn't check my email Fri night when you wrote. Just checked right now to see your PM. I responded finally, but too late. :(

I will try to connect on my return trip and will text you when I am going to be in your area. At the moment my plans include a stop at the Loading Chute for a meal, hopefully with you! :)

I rode Hwy 33 on Sunday. It was a bit dirty and muddy on the north side, but mostly clear on the south side. Still some gravel and mud patches to watch out for. With another set of storms hitting this week, be careful if heading out there.