Another Front tire wear picture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelin Pilot Road 2 front IS a dual compound. One of the few (maybe the only).

Most of the other dual compound tires are only dual on the back.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 front IS a dual compound. One of the few (maybe the only).
Most of the other dual compound tires are only dual on the back.

Uhh, well I stand corrected.

Since this tire came out there has been dialogue to the contrary and obviously wrong.

road2schema.jpg

I'll do my penance by punching myself in the face.

BTW: according to Michelin this is the ONLY one that is dual compound in the front ...but I'm not guaranteeing that. The last punch hurt too much to do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (HelzBelz @ Jun 21 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... This tire sucks...

Oh, yes.

... I need to change my style a bit ...

Not necessarily, try same style with different tyre. (I find it's hard to change style on this bike, it's too adictive.)

... and I need pr2's most likely but lets see how the Angel ST's work first.

Almost anything is better than the 021. I'm on my second front Avon Storm ST, very happy with it. Some have found defective examples and high balance weights needed, but for ride, grip (wet or dry) wear and cost, I'm happy.

My POS BT021, about 4000 miles (click on image for larger view)

The Bridgestone 021's are duel compound. The stripe in the middle is the hard compound. the FJR is too heavy to let it ride on just the hard compound when running straight. They did the same thing on my K100RS for three sets. Its the tires. The 023's are supposed to be much better but I do not want to give them a chance.

This picture is your clue that the BS OEM is a dual compound or has some odd underlying cord structure. The markedly discrete boundary between two "designs" is clearly visible. Note that this is a hallmark wear pattern of dual compounds. These shapes are really funky in the handling department. Can be dangerous at high speeds too...be advised.

Cheers,

W2

Well, if the BT-021's front tires are dual compound, someone should have informed Bridgestone of this "fact":

Most of the BT-021 literature has been superseded by the BT-023. I managed to find this Bridgestone UK web site that clearly shows that only the rear is a dual compound. Whatever is causing those funky wear patterns on the Battleaxes, it isn't dual compound.

Bridgestone UK web link

My BT020's were toast in 4k miles with serious cupping in the front and as flat as Natalie Portman in the back. I dumped the Stones after that first set and never went back.

My ST020's were toast in 4k miles with serious cupping in the front and as flat as Natalie Portman in the back. I dumped the Stones after that first set and never went back.
My OEM Bridgestones were crap after 4000 miles too. Don't think they were really made for this bike. Liking the milage I'm getting out of the PR2s.

GP

I burned through the BT020s that came on my bike and then put a BT021 on the rear that got nearly exactly the same mileage as the OEM 020. The handling from either tire was never that great, and considering the price and the other options available, I will never put another Bridgestone on my bike unless I am stranded and it is the only thing available. There are way too many better options out there.