Another Nail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawinter

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
I seem to get a nail in my rear tire every three years. Am I just unlucky?

I don't work on a constructiion site and alway garage park at home.

I found the third in the last ten years on Saturday morning.

Thankfully Vickery Motorsports in Aurora jumped through hoops (as far as I'm concerned) and put a new tire on in about an hour bumping me up the waiting list as I had serious time contraints.

So my question is

Am I just unlucky or do others have this same problem?

I would really like to wear out a rear tire.....

In the last two weeks, my pickup has had two flats both caused by nails. I think it might be the result of living in a blue collar neighborhood where most guys here seem to be contractors of one sort, or another. I figure they must drop alot of nails in the neighborhood. I have been lucky with bikes/nails.

You ARE unlucky. I have never had a flat in 35 years of riding.

Then again, I probably haven't ridden 100,000 miles in 35 years.

And I live in small town USA and ride out in the stix a lot. So I would bet the hazard quotient is less here perhaps than where you live.

So it's all relative. Way too many factors to consider.

Ok, you're not unlucky. You just ride too much in the wrong places. That make you feel any better?

You should carry a tire repair kit with you at all times. That's just about a gaurantee that you won't get a flat. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, your unlucky, sorry. :D

The FJR is not a trials bike, so keep away from the construction sites and you won't get anymore nails in the tire.

no, really you are lucky you haven't had more flats..

I ride a bicycle LOTS of road miles and I am continually amazed at the number of nails, screws, bolts and other stuff on the road that could cause a flat.

It's a miracle we don't all have flats everyday.

I got my 05FJR last Dec. and have had 3 rear flats(2 nails and 1 tear from something) in 19,458 miles.All my flats came on small back roads here in Texas.The last flat happened on a rear tire that was only 2 weeks old~SUCKED!!

My KLR 650 seems to attract them. I had one a year ago and just after installing new tires this past winter, got another one in my brand new rear tire. I put slime for tube tires in it and have about 3,000 miles on it. It did take a second treatment but is working fine.

Luckily, so far so good on my tubeless tire bikes.

Two nails in right rear tire and one nail in left rear tire of my car in past year.

The kicker...I ride my FJR over to the new owners house to drop off and there is a nail sticking out of the rear tire. Fortunately, the new owner had a new set of Avons to install.

The world sometimes tilts toward or away from us. Last week I won several hundred dollars playing poker. The world was tilted toward me... Last two nights, the river has killed me out of $200. Me thinks the world has tilted away at this time.