Any Info On The Best Front And Rear Tire Pressure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spine60

Reaction score
I also have a wing which suggests 36 psi front and rear. The guys on that forum all agree that 41psi in the rear and 38psi in the front work the best for handling and for even tire wear. Are there any opinions for the FJR?? Thanks, Greg

Like oil threads, opinions vary...

Me? 42 Rear, 40 Front. If I know I'm going to do a lot of twisty bits, I'll drop the front to 38. But don't believe what you read here - it is the internet, ya know! ;)

Wow, I just got my FJR back from the 600 mile service and just checked the tire pressure, it was 24psi :beee: front and back.

Wow, I just got my FJR back from the 600 mile service and just checked the tire pressure, it was 24psi :beee: front and back.
The tech didn't check the tires?! Quick, find another servicing dealer!

Uhm, since I monitor my tire pressure, whenever I am at the dealer I tell them to leave the tire pressure alone, or give them the numbers I want them set to.

Take your tire pressures cold, go for a ride to warm up the tires, take the warm tire pressure. Should be approx 5 % increase in pressure. If you have more than 5 % increase from cold to warm, increase cold pressure.

Heat is the major contributor to tire wear, the heat is caused by the flexing of the tire carcass. An under inflated tire will flex the carcass more producing heat which will cause the pressure to increase substantially. As you increase the cold tire pressures, the tire carcass will not flex as much, resulting lower heat build up and lower pressure increase from cold pressures to warm.

I find that 40 to 42 psi cold pressures work for the style of riding that I do. YMMV.....Don....

I use 42 front 42 rear. I have done it this way for years. sometimes I go a little lower (40-41) in the front if I know I'm going to ride alot of twisties that day. I check my tire pressure everytime before I go out for a ride. I like the feeling of knowing that I checked....it increases my confidence level (in the bike) a little bit more.

Just did a 600 mile two-day ride and adjusted them to 40/40. Felt great at that number. Usually check them once a week --- went beyond that once and the front had dropped to 28 or so. :eek: Now I try and make an effort to check them frequently. Cause, you never know ..... :unsure: Jay