Any Realtor's out there?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellsj

Reaction score
With such a depressed market I was wondering if it would be the best time to look into training.

I know it's not the time to make a career change but am thinking for the future, it will turn around at some point.

Look at it this way, if things turn around again they will do so for your current skill set as well...before you spend the money for courses, you've got to really think hard whether or not RE is for you and your personality...and in the last 5 years every Tom, Dick and Harry got into that business, so the market is flooded with agents. Many of these agents have to look for other jobs right now but they will return as soon as the market recovers.

just my .02

Alfred

No. :glare:

Career change is another story.

If you are into any aspect of the residential construction industry (including sales) it's a good time to rethink yourself.

Well, I have been doing this for over 15 years and I'll tell ya, its not much fun right now. I have a very strong and loyal client base which had grown every year until 08 and now my earnings suck the big wind. '07 was half of '06 and '08 dropped another half. Unfortunately, expenses do not go away although they are cut way back. All my listings are competing with short sales and REO's so it is very difficult for normal Sellers to get a fair offer. My Buyers, naturally, want to steal a house from someone in trouble, so they are only looking at stressed properties. My counsel to Sellers is to wait this out, and to Buyers, grab a good deal. Used to be that dealing with REO's was crappy, now it is much more preferable than the short sale nightmare.

My MLS membership has lost about 25% of its agents, and will likely lose many more, which is good for me. In the good times, it was pretty easy for a new agent to get started and survive, now you will need to count on using up 12 - 24 months of savings to get your business established and cash flowing.

Good luck if you do this but plan it out very well!

PM me if you want any more good news.

Well, I have been doing this for over 15 years and I'll tell ya, its not much fun right now. I have a very strong and loyal client base which had grown every year until 08 and now my earnings suck the big wind. '07 was half of '06 and '08 dropped another half. Unfortunately, expenses do not go away although they are cut way back. All my listings are competing with short sales and REO's so it is very difficult for normal Sellers to get a fair offer. My Buyers, naturally, want to steal a house from someone in trouble, so they are only looking at stressed properties. My counsel to Sellers is to wait this out, and to Buyers, grab a good deal. Used to be that dealing with REO's was crappy, now it is much more preferable than the short sale nightmare.My MLS membership has lost about 25% of its agents, and will likely lose many more, which is good for me. In the good times, it was pretty easy for a new agent to get started and survive, now you will need to count on using up 12 - 24 months of savings to get your business established and cash flowing.

Good luck if you do this but plan it out very well!

PM me if you want any more good news.
Think plastics. That's the future.. oh, oops, time warp problem..sorry.

Think plastics. That's the future.. oh, oops, time warp problem..sorry.
Pay no attention to this ol' timer. It's his birthday and he's drunk... ;)

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge into this career. Sounds like a lot of uncertainty right now. I have two realtor friends that have had to move onto different careers.

It's just a thought at the moment, I know the market is not good right now but it will be in the future. Something that has always been in the back of my mind and if I started the proccess now I might be ready when the market picks back up. This is a career I could take anywhere in the country if I wanted to move back out West.

You could always move to Detroit, and get into the auto business........ :yahoo: