Any word on John Ryan's(?) 11 x BBG attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R62FJR

Reaction score
The FJR with the three story fuel tank. :blink:

He is/was attempting to ride 11 BBG's in a row during the time the IBR is in progress (he's not in the IBR field). Anyone heard a report?

He finished 2 of them.

Was on his third when his rear tire went bad.

Apparently, he started this effort on a set of Z6's that already had 6000 miles on them... on Day 1. :blink:

Overall planning seemed to be a little sub-optimal....

Timing was downright narcissistic.

He finished 2 of them.
Was on his third when his rear tire went bad.

Apparently, he started this effort on a set of Z6's that already had 6000 miles on them... on Day 1. :blink:

Overall planning seemed to be a little sub-optimal....

Timing was downright narcissistic.
Warchild,

I didn't give him a snow balls chance in Hell.

Again, congratulations on your record 7 and think you will hold onto it for a while.

I dropped GZ off at the airport last night to pick up a bike in PA. He will most likely be in STL Thursday night.

I was a little surprised that he wanted to do this ride during the IBR. Just doesn't feel right to me. Plus one report i read noted that he had been "passed over" for the IBR, hmmm wrong wording. Feels to me like he's pissed he wasn't accepted and wants to prove what a great rider he is. I'll take my hat off to him if he does it but I think his timing is off.

tel

Doing two BBG on a set of shot tires is a feat in itself and mighty lucky to boot.

A pretty stupid way to go for a record that won't be broke.

I dropped GZ off at the airport last night to pick up a bike in PA. He will most likely be in STL Thursday night.
Then again...

He just called me from a restaurant in Montreal and seemed to be having a VERY good time. Something about french fries with gravy and like 6 different kinds of "exquisite" beer. He may just get a P.O. box over there and send for his cat. :rolleyes:

Then again...

He just called me from a restaurant in Montreal and seemed to be having a VERY good time. Something about french fries with gravy and like 6 different kinds of "exquisite" beer. He may just get a P.O. box over there and send for his cat. :rolleyes:
Has he picked up the bike yet.

Then again...

Has he picked up the bike yet.
Yes, when he called last night he told me that he had picked it up, ridden about 600 miles and it was "running great".

He sounded like he was in very good spirits. Glad to hear him upbeat.

Saw an update today on the LD Rider list. He also has a blog somewhere but I puked reading it.
I don't write the blog, and having one wasn't my idea. I sure as hell didn't name it "Ryanbutt", either.

However, I'm grateful for those willing to put in the time and effort to back me, whether it's the blog, working on the bike, or sponsorship in the form of expenses, tires, et cetera. I don't have the means for this endeavor, and these people make it possible.

What I do have is the easy part, riding the bike. We all love to do that. For people to show this kind of faith and put it behind me is truly incredible.

I was getting 16K out of a set of MEZ6s in day to day use, but it was stupid to think that I'd get 5-6 days out of them at BBG pace.

A ride like this does not allow any room for mistakes, and I made several, primarily the tire choice. I'm trading in my Z6s for Marathons.

The timing of the ride made no difference in the result, but was another mistake nonetheless. The opportunity arose in the last few weeks, and not being drawn for the Iron Butt Rally provided additional motivation. However, to use these things as a way to "stick it" to the rally, the IBA, and the people who make its decisions was simply wrong. I love the club and its people, and this shot at them was clearly misplaced.

Narcisstic? That's a bit of a stretch, and I would have preferred to have Dale tell me that when we spoke in St. Louis, but will take it for what it's worth. There is no shortage of huge egos in the IBA, and I like to think that both of us will admit there may be none bigger than ours.

We had our first substantial conversations in St. Louis. Dale is a fine gentleman and great rider. If you'd like to consider us rivals, enjoy yourself, but the truth is that we have much more in common as riders than the desire to string together more BBGs than anyone else.

Dale certainly has many fans and supporters here, and deservedly so. I congratulated him on his great ride when we spoke, and was the first to tell him that his record still stands after I shredded another tire and struck a deer at the end of the fourth BBG. We laughed about my mistakes, the tires I should have been using, and the apparent lack of reason for rides like these.

However, when someone states that the record "will never be broken", they have a great deal to learn about extreme long distance riding, and me. After all, I'm using a much better motorcycle than Dale did.... ;^)

I certainly have a great deal to learn about extreme long distance riding, and myself, as well. It's a continual process that will never be complete, and should never be. It is the most important motivation for such an undertaking.

I've addressed all of the criticism and questions to the best of my ability. I welcome more of it, whether it's via the forum or PM. I thank you for it, and will use it constructively.

Having said that, I'll offer a brief synopsis of my ride, hopefully without the nausea induced by the blog.

The first two days, I took a route from St. Louis to Portland, Maine that provided 1530 miles. At the end of the second day, I swerved to avoid a deer, ended up in the median, and went airborne over an erosion barrier. I expected bent wheels, blown fork seals, and all kinds of irreversible damage, but the only problem was the windscreen. The leverage of the custom Rifle (10" over stock) screen, combined with the impact of the landing, broke the mechanism that moves the screen and holds its position.

I returned to St. Louis, where IBA/BMW legend Paul Glaves and I agreed that the tire looked good for at least one more day. I decided to do a quick out-and-back route, to Summit, South Dakota, and change tires on my return. About 1200 miles later, the tire could no longer hold air. End of first attempt, 3059 miles, <48 hours. This failure did allow me to be in St. Louis for the IBR checkpoint, where I could check on friends' progress, and offer minor help to a rider or two.

I started the second attempt Sunday at about 0500. Portland and back, once again. I felt much more confident about the tires, since I was now running the maximum recommended pressure of 42/50 psi, front/rear. I had thought that max pressure for the Z6s was the standard 36/42 I had been running for the last twenty years, but this changed with the latest generation. I blamed the "premature" wear on my ignorance.

After returning to St. Louis, I headed for Seattle, via Fargo. Four miles from the hotel in Columbus, Montana, and the end of the fourth day/night, I crested a hill to greet a large doe in the middle of the road. I swerved left, behind it, but it turned to meet me, with my right leg and saddlebag taking most of the impact. The bike wobbled a bit, but stayed upright, a testament to a fine design based on mass centralization. On a BMW GS, for example, things might have been different....

I went back to see if anything could be salvaged from the saddlebag, but there were no pieces larger than a dollar bill. I looked for the latch/lock cylinder, hoping that I could put that in a new bag without the delay of waiting for a factory match, but it was nowhere in sight. The deer lay in the road, still alive, but not for long. I cursed at it a bit, limped back to the bike, got an ending receipt, and headed for the hotel.

I awoke after a short nap, and filled up, getting a receipt for the start of the fifth day. I looked at my rear tire, and began to wonder if it would make it back to St. Louis. It wouldn't. My leg might get me through another day or two, but to attempt seven more without having a doctor check it was beginning to look like another dumb mistake, and one much more serious than tires or timing.

End of second attempt. 6092 miles, <96 hours, one deer killed, fully documented. Nice ride, perhaps, but not good enough for me, or Dale.

I was able to drag myself down the road to replace the tire, which was showing 360 degrees of steel belt by the time I arrived in Sioux Falls. I arrived in St. Louis just in time to see the IBR finishers Gold medals awarded. Congratulations to Greg Marbach (is he Skooter G here?), the top top rookie finisher, in 7th place. Great ride, Greg!

As I've said, I welcome your questions, comments, and criticism. The negative stuff is that from which I will learn most, so bring it!

Thanks,

John Ryan

Narcisstic? That's a bit of a stretch, and I would have preferred to have Dale tell me that when we spoke in St. Louis, but will take it for what it's worth.
I did, actually, but you weren't listening. ;) Which is cool..... you were busy at the time, and at least you know about it now.

However, when someone states that the record "will never be broken", they have a great deal to learn about extreme long distance riding, and me. After all, I'm using a much better motorcycle than Dale did.... ;^)
Uh, well...... you have better weather protection and cargo carrying capacity. Otherwise, the Blackbird has it all over the FJR in every performance category.

I was able to drag myself down the road to replace the tire, which was showing 360 degrees of steel belt by the time I arrived in Sioux Falls.
I would considering replacing them at the end of every third BBG; and it'll be one less thing to worry about, 'bro! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, actually, but you weren't listening. ;) Which is cool..... you were busy at the time, and at least you know about it now.
Uh, well...... you have better weather protection and cargo carrying capacity. Otherwise, the Blackbird has it all over the FJR in every performance category.

I would considering replacing them at the end of every third BBG; and it'll be one less thing to worry about, 'bro! :D
It's tough to get someone that hard-headed to listen. :lol:

Well, performance isn't everything on these rides. I heard there was once a K75.... ahh, never mind. I'm lucky to be on a great bike. The FJR does everything I need, and does it very well.The route I'd like to take will make good use of the weather protection, and a little cargo capacity will help, as I'd like to check in at "headquarters" no more than every four or five days.

I'm going to use Marathons. The Z6s got me through four and a half days. What would you expect from Marathons under these conditions?

Thanks,

John

I'm going to use Marathons. The Z6s got me through four and a half days. What would you expect from Marathons under these conditions?
Well, I'm the biggest dude that rode Marathons on an FJR (started the ride at 275# and svelted to 255# at the end) and can show you what they looked like at 9700 miles. And I also got the 36 hours of rain on the first leg.

Still lots of tread in the center, but the cupping made them howl badly at Interstate speeds whenever I'd lean left or right. At low speeds I'd swear the rear drive was trying to do a Beemer impersonation and would start checking for unexpected fluids. It eventually got so bad that even on dead straights I'd feel a vibration. Them's some seriously HARD tires.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but take a look at that groove on the right of the picture and the differential was over 1/8" from one tread block to another.

The tire was fine until about the 6,000 mile mark. I think my spirited approach to Mount Wilson scuffing off the sides and made things go wonky to be technical about it.

MW033401b.JPG

11 days huh John? I'm the last one to try and slice the cake of sanity cleanly, but somewhere around double-digit days I'd start to wonder if a person's cake is getting mixed with their frosting? Either I'm wishing you luck....or urging that you get competent mental help and a good prescription. :blink: :rolleyes: